All-Star For The Parents - What Coaches Want

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 15, 2009
I see a lot of cheer parent threads so i thought I'd start one on what the coaches find good and bad about cheer parents. I personally am blessed with some amazing parents at the gym that I coach at, and want to share some of the things that make me love these parents.

Approaching/calling me when I'm not at the gym or at inconvenient times
I normally am at work at my dayjob at 4 A.M. in the morning, I just finished your daughter's practice at 8:30 PM, do the math for the amount of sleep I get? OK, not much. I just spent an hour and half coaching suzy (whom yes I do adore) and at this point at the night I have one thing on my mind after working 14 hours, getting to sleep, considering I need every bit of the 5 hours I might be able to get if I hurry on. Or I might be going to coach another tumbling class. While I won't be rude to you, you need to understand that even though I will explain why I do this or that in practice or asking how your child did or asking why they had to run laps more than the other girls, I won't be giving you the response you deserve (I believe you should be educated as much as you pay) because I don't have any more energy to focus on my job anymore. It is better to ask me before the start of the next practice, or to text me the next mornign asking if I could call you or meet you. Let me do things on my time, because I am a VERY busy person and I do try to have a life.

The parents I love always do this, or at least ask me if I'm busy before they assume I'm not. They stay in regular contact with me, but realize that generally any time after I am done working for the day is a bad time. Also, if you want a response for me, 11 oclock at night isn't the time for me, very rarely am I up that late (okay i have the mornign off so tonight doesn't count) and I will probably ignore your call and forget about it or read your text and forget about it.

Asking me why your child isn't doing xyz but not wanting the honest or obvious answer
While I understand that your suzy has always been a flier, this year it just isn't going to work out. She is a foot and half taller than the other four girls on the team that have also always flown. Yes they are younger, but even at a medium sized gym we can't always keep youth/junior kids off of our senior teams if they have the skills. In fact...... tumbling wise they deserve to be on the team more than your daughter, who has a roff tuck they learned somewhere else, but has refused for two seasons to work on improving her bhs so she can move on to layouts and fulls. While I wasn't your daughters coach before, I watched her at competitions, and know that she fell more than any other flier at competitions even with great bases, has the worst flexibility of any of the fliers, and generally just isn't as good. While I do think your daughter has potential to be a great cheerleader, I just don't think it is in flying. She is a great performer, jumper, and dancer, she needs to learn to base because it is the most realistic option. If she develops her tumbling she will go far. And even more, I HAVE been flying her in a numbers stunt and pyramid.
However, no suzie's mom wants to hear this. I have to sugarcoat it and choose my words carefully without being misleading so that this mom doesn't get even more angry and leave the program.

The parents that I love don't confront me angrily about why their daughter isn't flying or last pass, they ask me very politely what it is that their daughter can do to improve their skills. And then when I tell them how too, I don't have to put on a front and can speak honestly about how your daughter can improve. Nobodies feelings get hurt that way.

Cornering me/approaching me while I'm alone

I will always talk about things that are positive with you, but if you have a complaint about me, the other coaches, or gym management decisions, I will not speak to you about them at all unless it is my job to do so, and then not without a witness, preferably someone who is above me, i.e. the owner. Don't be offended when I won't answer your questions. Its really not personal, its just protecting myself from proffesional accusations and he said/she said gossip that while I hope and don't think you will make about me or say that I said, I'm not going to go through the inconvenience of clearing any situation up that could be avoided by having another party witness the conversation.

Also, never come to me complaining about my owners, because while I am not goign to say I agree with everything they do, they are good respectable people who also happen to sign my paycheck. I hold them in high regard as they have given me so many great oppurtunities, and i wouldn't be here without them.

My favorite parents aren't the ones who don't have complaints, but the ones who know how to handle them in a very professional way.

So to recap a long post, my favorite parents aren't perfect, but they know how to respect personal and professional boundaries, and realize that while I absolutely love your kids (which 99% of the time I do) that I might not be able to take the time that you choose to talk to me. I will fit you in, just be patient.

Feel free to add your own everyone.

Well said.

Parents - I don't mind if you approach me after practice with a question/concern/etc., it's what I'm here for. You can tell me you were impressed with the visuals in the standing tumbling section; I won't think you're trying to suck up. You can tell me your daughter is having trouble getting to her formation for jumps; I'll do my best to fix it (although I'd be happier if she told me herself). But don't tell me such-and-such's daughter Suzy fell out of her stunt and ask if it will hit at competition, then suggest maybe having her work on her heel stretch. I have a lot of experience coaching and, quite frankly, I am better at it than you. I know when a stunt group is struggling, but they wouldn't be in a group together if I didn't think they had the potential to be great.

I'll probably write more when I have more time - maybe if we tell parents exactly how they're expected to act, they'll start doing it? ;]

I actually LOVE this thread so far and as a mom love the fact some coaches appreciate and are ok with me asking questions about MY daughter :)

I see a lot of cheer parent threads so i thought I'd start one on what the coaches find good and bad about cheer parents. I personally am blessed with some amazing parents at the gym that I coach at, and want to share some of the things that make me love these parents.

I normally am at work at my dayjob at 4 A.M. in the morning, I just finished your daughter's practice at 8:30 PM, do the math for the amount of sleep I get? OK, not much. I just spent an hour and half coaching suzy (whom yes I do adore) and at this point at the night I have one thing on my mind after working 14 hours, getting to sleep, considering I need every bit of the 5 hours I might be able to get if I hurry on. Or I might be going to coach another tumbling class. While I won't be rude to you, you need to understand that even though I will explain why I do this or that in practice or asking how your child did or asking why they had to run laps more than the other girls, I won't be giving you the response you deserve (I believe you should be educated as much as you pay) because I don't have any more energy to focus on my job anymore. It is better to ask me before the start of the next practice, or to text me the next mornign asking if I could call you or meet you. Let me do things on my time, because I am a VERY busy person and I do try to have a life.

The parents I love always do this, or at least ask me if I'm busy before they assume I'm not. They stay in regular contact with me, but realize that generally any time after I am done working for the day is a bad time. Also, if you want a response for me, 11 oclock at night isn't the time for me, very rarely am I up that late (okay i have the mornign off so tonight doesn't count) and I will probably ignore your call and forget about it or read your text and forget about it.

Asking me why your child isn't doing xyz but not wanting the honest or obvious answer
While I understand that your suzy has always been a flier, this year it just isn't going to work out. She is a foot and half taller than the other four girls on the team that have also always flown. Yes they are younger, but even at a medium sized gym we can't always keep youth/junior kids off of our senior teams if they have the skills. In fact...... tumbling wise they deserve to be on the team more than your daughter, who has a roff tuck they learned somewhere else, but has refused for two seasons to work on improving her bhs so she can move on to layouts and fulls. While I wasn't your daughters coach before, I watched her at competitions, and know that she fell more than any other flier at competitions even with great bases, has the worst flexibility of any of the fliers, and generally just isn't as good. While I do think your daughter has potential to be a great cheerleader, I just don't think it is in flying. She is a great performer, jumper, and dancer, she needs to learn to base because it is the most realistic option. If she develops her tumbling she will go far. And even more, I HAVE been flying her in a numbers stunt and pyramid.
However, no suzie's mom wants to hear this. I have to sugarcoat it and choose my words carefully without being misleading so that this mom doesn't get even more angry and leave the program.

The parents that I love don't confront me angrily about why their daughter isn't flying or last pass, they ask me very politely what it is that their daughter can do to improve their skills. And then when I tell them how too, I don't have to put on a front and can speak honestly about how your daughter can improve. Nobodies feelings get hurt that way.

Cornering me/approaching me while I'm alone

I will always talk about things that are positive with you, but if you have a complaint about me, the other coaches, or gym management decisions, I will not speak to you about them at all unless it is my job to do so, and then not without a witness, preferably someone who is above me, i.e. the owner. Don't be offended when I won't answer your questions. Its really not personal, its just protecting myself from proffesional accusations and he said/she said gossip that while I hope and don't think you will make about me or say that I said, I'm not going to go through the inconvenience of clearing any situation up that could be avoided by having another party witness the conversation.

Also, never come to me complaining about my owners, because while I am not goign to say I agree with everything they do, they are good respectable people who also happen to sign my paycheck. I hold them in high regard as they have given me so many great oppurtunities, and i wouldn't be here without them.

My favorite parents aren't the ones who don't have complaints, but the ones who know how to handle them in a very professional way.

So to recap a long post, my favorite parents aren't perfect, but they know how to respect personal and professional boundaries, and realize that while I absolutely love your kids (which 99% of the time I do) that I might not be able to take the time that you choose to talk to me. I will fit you in, just be patient.

Oh my goodness. You could be me. Thank you for a great post.

My favorite parents don't put words in my mouth and make up false stories. I would never promise a child that they could be a flyer. NEVER. That conversation would just never come out of my mouth. So when I hear that a parent is saying "Coach K promised that Abby Cadabby could fly this season and thats what she does best" I just want to smack them. A position in cheerleading is never guaranteed, especially one in the air.
PS: Sir, Abby is about twice my biggest flyers size and she cant pull a heel stretch, bow, scorp, or scale..... And no, you cannot dress up like a wizard at competition.

OK...I'll admit I'm feeling a little like I woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning. So I'm probably going to get blasted for this, but I HAVE TO reply to this. While I get where you are coming from to some degree, I have a couple comments. First off, NOWHERE is there a parent thread about what we want coaches to do (although maybe there should be?). So I don't really think we needed a thread on how you think we should act. But since you brought it up...

I think without this sentence your whole post wouldn't have bothered me nearly as much. What makes you think I am NOT a "VERY busy person"??? Do you know how much a year of cheer costs? I'm sure you do, so I'm sure you know that I don't just get to work 40 hours and go to sleep. I have to work 50+ hours, sometimes 2 jobs, in addition to getting Suzy to you 3 or 4 days a week (which is well over an hour each way usually). I also have to go sling beer and hot dogs with the booster club a few times a month. I also have other children. I would love to "try to have a life", but I can only imagine what that's actually like because by the time I'm done doing everything else on your time, I don't actually have any time, energy, or money left to do so.

I don't actually want to talk to the coach after practice - I want to run out the door and make my hour+ drive home because usually after practice is over we still haven't eaten dinner (despite the fact that you guys just ate pizza in front of us), done homework, or anything else and I'd like to get on it by 10:00. So I'm really just making a point. Usually the only thing I want to talk to the coach about is the private he didn't show up for 3 days ago (no phone call, he just "forgot") so we can reschedule.

So I will take what you've said and probably think twice before I try to talk to a coach, because despite my annoyance I DO get it. But in return, I ask that you take a few minutes out of your busy day to read the thread I made for you too.

I don't actually want to talk to the coach after practice - I want to run out the door and make my hour+ drive home because usually after practice is over we still haven't eaten dinner

Sometimes, I need those parents to come in the gym and pick up their child and TALK to me. My "busy" parents are the same ones that dont read their news letters and call me every day to find out whats going on on Saturday or at this practice, or that event. I promise, if you dont read the letter or check the updated website, spending 5 minutes after practice while I just lay some stuff out for you is going to make both of our lives easier.

I of course do not think that you are one of these parents. Just saying that my "busy" parents drive me insane at times. No one could possibly be more busy or more stressed than they.... :rolleyes:

Sometimes, I need those parents to come in the gym and pick up their child and TALK to me. My "busy" parents are the same ones that dont read their news letters and call me every day to find out whats going on on Saturday or at this practice, or that event. I promise, if you dont read the letter or check the updated website, spending 5 minutes after practice while I just lay some stuff out for you is going to make both of our lives easier.

I of course do not think that you are one of these parents. Just saying that my "busy" parents drive me insane at times. No one could possibly be more busy or more stressed than they.... :rolleyes:

Oh, those aren't "busy" parents - they're lame ones. Different. It's different if the coach comes out to talk to the moms about something specific. I just meant it's RARE that I am approaching a coach after practice to talk about my kid or practice or anything else. I'm HUNGRY and tired by then.

Let's face it, yall, we're all busy. @Just-a-Mom , I think @drewpate was saying is that there is an appropriate time and place to talk to coaches, and appropriate issues to address. Midnight and 6 am might not be great times for drewpate. Might be perfect for another, though. We've seen Courtney's posts at 2am.
@drewpate , though I understand where you're coming from, we (parents) need to be able to do things on our time, as well. We get that this is your second job, and that the owner signs the checks, but the money came out of our bank accounts. We are your customer.
Our gym has a policy, and it is strongly emphasized and written in the handbook: If you need to talk to a coach about something, that's great. However, it does need to be scheduled. Email the coach or office manager and set up an appointment to speak with the coach. I know some people are more relaxed with this rule, but it avoids a lot of imposition on everyone's time.

@Mamarazzi and @drewpate I totally get it. It was only the sentence about how busy coaches are and how WE need to understand that. I just wasn't aware coaches had a monopoly on being busy. And I won't lie...I'm a little put off by a thread that's whole idea is "let me tell you why you're annoyig" (which despite claims that the topic was also going to be reasons I love parents" was really all it was) I'm sure that when the shoe is on the other foot these coaches wont think its so awesome to make lists of what's annoying. And its really not awesome to make lists about the people who pay your salary.

Coaches - If someone from Starbucks decided to post a list in Starbucks of how you could be a less annoying CUSTOMER, I'm sure you'd take offense too.

My favorite parents don't put words in my mouth and make up false stories. I would never promise a child that they could be a flyer. NEVER. That conversation would just never come out of my mouth. So when I hear that a parent is saying "Coach K promised that Abby Cadabby could fly this season and thats what she does best" I just want to smack them. A position in cheerleading is never guaranteed, especially one in the air.
PS: Sir, Abby is about twice my biggest flyers size and she cant pull a heel stretch, bow, scorp, or scale..... And no, you cannot dress up like a wizard at competition.
lol... I like the wizard idea.....

Oh, those aren't "busy" parents - they're lame ones. Different. It's different if the coach comes out to talk to the moms about something specific. I just meant it's RARE that I am approaching a coach after practice to talk about my kid or practice or anything else. I'm HUNGRY and tired by then.

Oh, those aren't "busy" parents - they're lame ones. I have to laugh at that! I think KReccheer is describing our situation. We do not get paid and generally the issues we have are parents who do not read the weekly newsletter, text messages, facebook or website pages that we have and then ask those questions that are answered on those venues. As I do get up to go to work at 3am, I usually do not want to speak (to anyone, including my own family) after practice, but I always do. So does KReccheer. We love our cheer families (usually), but sometimes its nice to read that other coaches have the same issues we do. I am a cheer parent too so understand it from both sides. XO to all the cheer parents out there!

I pretty much took this thread as an open forum on ways to commend parents or possible ways to improve relationships with parents. I wouldn't mind if there was the same forum on coaches. It's not meant to be a reflection on an individual coach but rather advice on past experience to make things run more smoothly. Take it for what its worth. I totally agree with the posts about being busy. I'd say the best thing to do is just communicate in advance that you want a meeting. I actually prefer meetings over the phone or email. I don't mean to sound insensitive; everyones time is valuable. Parent and I are typically BOTH coming from full time jobs just to get to practice right on time (while eating dinner in the car). Then after practice...you want to get home....I want to get home and spend a few precious seconds with my son. I find that we can both be civil in this modern age without always having to meet in person (which I will gladly do but with some advance notice please).

On that note, if we do start talking on the phone....please lets keep it under an hour. Ususally most parents say their needs and we can work through it relatively smoothly. If it's taking over an hour it's typically due to a) me being told why suzy is amazing or b) telling me every single thing I did wrong over the year. I've had both happen. Not fun or productive.

The most simple thing a parent can do is trust the coaches. Are their times when CP might be taught by a new coach who doesn't have the most experience? Yes and that can be talked through with the owner. All new coaches have been there...I know I have. But on the flip side....remember that it is a team. Almost every single decision the coaches make is a small percentage based on your child and majority percentage based on the team (group stunting needs, ratios, maxing out score sheets, etc).

All that being said, I could never EVER thank the parents enough. I think they are amazing. Their time and dedication will always be appreciated but their friendship, advice, and guidance is a huge reason I love the sport.

Oh, those aren't "busy" parents - they're lame ones. I have to laugh at that! I think KReccheer is describing our situation. We do not get paid and generally the issues we have are parents who do not read the weekly newsletter, text messages, facebook or website pages that we have and then ask those questions that are answered on those venues. As I do get up to go to work at 3am, I usually do not want to speak (to anyone, including my own family) after practice, but I always do. So does KReccheer. We love our cheer families (usually), but sometimes its nice to read that other coaches have the same issues we do. I am a cheer parent too so understand it from both sides. XO to all the cheer parents out there!

Lol I hate when people don't read the emails! Then they overhear something and its "what??? We're doing the parade??? Why is this the first I'm hearing about this?" Then when we all say "oh no! Are you sure you're on the email list?" they're response is "ugh...I NEVER read those things"

Seriously...if you're NOT doing your part as a parent, then you can't really complain about ANYTHING, can you? Unfortunately I find that these people are usually like this in all aspects of life, not just cheer. So there's no fixing it.

To those parents I say read drewpate's post, not mine. ;)

Just want to throw one thing in there. I don't think parents should be calling or keeping in contact with coaches outside of the gym to discuss issues at cheer. I don't have my clients at work calling me on my cell phone trying to discuss matters. It should be the same for cheerleading.

I don't like how cheerleading gyms get to fall outside of the professional atmosphere. While things are different, I think a lot of coaches and parents could learn a few things if they treated it like any other business.

I don't think yelling should be permitted.
I think that all business should be conducted during hours at the gym.
I also don't think things like this post should be discussed like they are. I couldn't imagine if I did something like this for my career job. I think this is ridiculous.
So on both sides of the fence, both coaches and parents, treat the entire business/industry with a little more respect. If everyone at every level of the game conducted themselves in a professional/business-like way, there wouldn't be as many issues.

Back