All-Star Foreclosure: All Star Cheerleading's Newest Trend?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

DJ

Dec 14, 2009
Hey Everyone, I've got a serious topic to put out there..

I'm hearing a growing number of families whose homes are being foreclosed on, because they are paying their allstar cheer gym & foregoing payment on their homes. I know of 3 families, that this has happened to at a particular cheerleading gym & the directors and people in charge - well, they haven't been very compassionate.

Has anyone else heard any other situations similiar to this?

At what point is enough - enough & what type of gym owner would actually tell someone to "borrow someone's credit card, so you can pay your tuition - so you can owe someone else money & not me money"?

Is this an isolated incident or is this just not a discussed issue and/or trend?

I'm hearing a growing number of families whose homes are being foreclosed on, because they are paying their allstar cheer gym & foregoing payment on their homes. I know of 3 families, that this has happened to at a particular cheerleading gym & the directors and people in charge - well, they haven't been very compassionate.

At what point is enough - enough & what type of gym owner would actually tell someone to "borrow someone's credit card, so you can pay your tuition - so you can owe someone else money & not me money"?

Is this an isolated incident or is this just not a discussed issue and/or trend?

It is a very tough time right now for everyone....business owners included. I understand your sympathy but what if the business owner "helped" people then went under...all the paying customers are punished. The lesson here is very clear.....NEVER choose All Star Cheer over basic needs. Cheer is a luxury...period. Parents need to make tough choices and a roof over the head and food on the table MUST come before cheer...just my opinion...:/

It is not the gyms responsibility to to make sure you pay your mortgage. Now, I personally (IDK what Casey would say but I figure it would be along the same lines) think that if you are skipping mortgage payments to pay for cheer you might need to reevaluate a few things. But it is in no way shape or form on the gym on how you spend your money. Encouraging them to max our credit cards is probably not the smartest thing to encourage, but it is still a choice made by the consumer, not the gym.

When the bank comes for the house a person cant say a gym made me pay them instead of my mortgage. You have to be smarter than that.

it is imperative to know before you sign your child up for cheer if you can actually afford it. we want to make our children are happy but if it is not financially possible then you should probably forgo cheer for a season.

I think people who get themselves into this situation have created a reality of their own. It's sad, but the true reality is ... (and I know some of you cringe when you hear this)...it's just cheer! Your family is more important and you need to care for your family, not sacrifice them for cheer.

I agree with all of your replies, I wasn't being sympathetic - because ultimately no one should be stupid enough to put themselves in this situation. My question's were more of is this a growing problem in the industry? Or are the cases I'm hearing about at one gym - an isolated incident?

It is not the gyms responsibility to to make sure you pay your mortgage. Now, I personally (IDK what Casey would say but I figure it would be along the same lines) think that if you are skipping mortgage payments to pay for cheer you might need to reevaluate a few things. But it is in no way shape or form on the gym on how you spend your money. Encouraging them to max our credit cards is probably not the smartest thing to encourage, but it is still a choice made by the consumer, not the gym. .

I agree with @Kingston, if you choose to pay cheer over your mortgage, you may definitely need to reevaluate your priorities and your financial capabilities. I can't stand when money is the reason that a child cannot cheer, but in the end......the bills must be paid and at some point, the parents need to *insert common sense here*. If you're children are in jeopardy of not eating and not having a place to stay, the solution is quite clear, regardless of the "advice" you got from a coach, owner, etc. As much as CP wants to cheer, a roof, food, car, insurance, health insurance all come before paying an extracurricular activities tuition. No parent wants to disappoint their child, but I doubt the gym owner will let your family live at the gym, therefore.......pay your mortgage. What you do with your personal money is your own business........not the gyms

I agree with all of your replies, I wasn't being sympathetic - because ultimately no one should be stupid enough to put themselves in this situation. My question's were more of is this a growing problem in the industry? Or are the cases I'm hearing about at one gym - an isolated incident?

I think it is everywhere....:(

I have known instances where families take out 2nd mortgages on their homes or use a home equity to pay for cheer. I don't understand it.

I think it is everywhere....:(

That's what I don't understand, what goes through these peoples minds when they instead choose to pay for cheer & in the mean time. Their home is slipping from them. But in reality, it is their own doings.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Now, I have been educated to know there are differences in scrimping and saving to make cheer work and being a bit in denial. @Mclovin described very well how they do have to watch their finances to make cheer work for them, and in that respect I believe that is great.

I think the thing we are discussing is families are outright ignoring their financial plight some not the brightest financial decisions.

Now, I have been educated to know there are differences in scrimping and saving to make cheer work and being a bit in denial. @Mclovin described very well how they do have to watch their finances to make cheer work for them, and in that respect I believe that is great.

I think the thing we are discussing is families are outright ignoring their financial plight some not the brightest financial decisions.

Definitely right on. These people seem to be in a state of denial & are blatantly ignoring their mortgage to pay for cheer.

Definitely right on. These people seem to be in a state of denial & are blatantly ignoring their mortgage to pay for cheer.

I think it has a lot to do with two things really...the age old "keeping up with the Jonses" and a bit of misguided belief in what "loving" your children is. Loving isnt always giving them what they want at all cost...sometimes the best show of love is to say....NO...when they are older....they will understand and respect you for your guidence...

I had a friend who was part of a small allstar gym in california. Her fathers business had just gone out of business and they were struggling to continue paying for their daughters fees. Her father did everything he could; they lost their home and everything but they wanted to at least let her finish out the season, so he went to friends and family member and collected about 800 dollars cash to pay off the rest of the money owed. When he gave it to her and asked for a reciept, she said that "the computers were 'down'". Next month, the owner went to sarah's father and demanded the money again, claiming that he had not paid. It literaly broke my heart :(

I had a friend who was part of a small allstar gym in california. Her fathers business had just gone out of business and they were struggling to continue paying for their daughters fees. Her father did everything he could; they lost their home and everything but they wanted to at least let her finish out the season, so he went to friends and family member and collected about 800 dollars cash to pay off the rest of the money owed. When he gave it to her and asked for a reciept, she said that "the computers were 'down'". Next month, the owner went to sarah's father and demanded the money again, claiming that he had not paid. It literaly broke my heart :(

That totally breaks my heart too! It seems like a combination of poor business on the gyms part and the not thinking clearly on the parents part. They should have never taken a cash payment and not give a receipt. Considering the parents financial situation they definitely should have thought twice about giving cash with no receipt. It's a sad situation :(.

Back