All-Star Frequent Hamstring Strains Due To Stretching

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

May 11, 2010
We have a flyer on our senior team that has a problem with getting her bow 'n arrow. She's got a pretty decent stretch, really nice scorpion and scale. But she says, she cannot get the bow 'n arrow and constantly pulls her hamstring muscles while stretching for it.
Now, I think she doesn't really stretch at home so 3x a week is probably it. At practice we warm up for 15 minutes before everyone is to stretch out on their own for roughly 5-7 minutes. I guess maybe the allotted stretching time might be too short? But then again, none of the other flyers have this problem.
For the last 6 weeks or so we have had them pull bodypositions to counts after stretching. Starting with left and right heel stretches, moving on to frontstretches then bow 'n arrow and then scorp/scale.
Flyers that are at some point not stunting during practice are supposed to utilize that time and work on bodypositions (athletes are college aged so that's why we give them more leeway).

I'm guessing that she alternates between rushing/forcing it and not stretching her bow 'n arrow at all because she's frustrated.

Has anyone had the same problem of frequent hamstring strains? What could she change in her stretching routine? What could we do to help her?

Thanks for your input, I'm really at a loss right now.

Resistance stretching will help with flexibility. Have her relax and have someone push her leg up and then have her push against the other person and bring it back down. Do that about 5 times and it should help her get the bow and arrow. Maybe warming up more and stretching lightly at first and then working into more difficult stretches could help with the hamstring injury.

I have this issue. Some people have naturally tight hamstrings. Stretching strains my hammy and makes me less flexible. I know that I did slow, gradual stretching every day to treat the strains, on orders from our athletic trainer.

Spend more time at the end of practice to stretch, when the body is the most warmed up. Set aside a good 15 min (or more) to really focus on stretching. Find a few different stretches and do reps for each one at the end of every practice. Partner up and do some resistance stretching, as that will also work to strengthen the muscles to help prevent injury to the hamstring. There are other parts of the body that can be lacking i.e. hip flexers, shoulder flexibility, etc so work on all around flexibility so that there isn't as much stress on her hamstring trying to make up for the lack of flexibility and strength in other areas.

We had a flyer who always hurt when she stretched her bow and arrow, but was ok with the other stretches. She ended up going to the doctor. I don't remember the exact terminology, but she found out she had a torn muscle or ligament.

I guess I'm tire. Thought the title of this was "Frequent Harrassing Strains..." and I thought Fierce_Elite had found her way around the ban. :confused:
I was drinking my soda and laughed so hard when I read this that I spit it out on my iPad!

Back