High School Fulls During Basketball Season?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Agree with the above. We teach our girls that when they cheer games they need to pretend the crowd is a group of 5 year olds. You have to do SIMPLE & EASY stuff for them to get into it. We get far more oohs and ahhs over basic stuff than we do our elite things. Our crowd doesn't understand the difficulty of full ups, switch ups, and combos through to layouts, but a show-n-go extension and series bhs down the court and you would think we're the best thing since sliced bread! I'll never forget a few years ago our competition team went out and did an awesome routine with a hard stunt sequence and then our basketball cheerleaders went out and did a front walkover onto a shoulder sit then prep and the crowd thought it was so amazing and didn't think anything about what the comp girls did.

My school was not that way at all...maybe with the stunts (we only ever did extensions anyways)...but they knew me and a few others could do a full and were not satisfied till they saw one. They thought it was the coolest thing in the world, especially at rival games..

Another question.
We always had a homecoming pep rally during school on the basketball court. We always had a class dances, made up by the dancers/cheerleaders of their class. I would always end up throwing a full in ours. If I was not a cheerleader, would that be a no, no? If I was a cheerleader but not in uniform, representing my class not my team, would that be a no, no? More interested in the first question rather than the last.

My school was not that way at all...maybe with the stunts (we only ever did extensions anyways)...but they knew me and a few others could do a full and were not satisfied till they saw one. They thought it was the coolest thing in the world, especially at rival games..

Another question.
We always had a homecoming pep rally during school on the basketball court. We always had a class dances, made up by the dancers/cheerleaders of their class. I would always end up throwing a full in ours. If I was not a cheerleader, would that be a no, no? If I was a cheerleader but not in uniform, representing my class not my team, would that be a no, no? More interested in the first question rather than the last.

If you're not a cheerleader or not performing as a cheerleader, you're not subject to AACCA rules. I'm not sure if your school or school district has more strict rules regarding what can or cannot be done during school dances or performances, but you'd probably be fine. Again, though, if you got hurt, the liability could possibly fall on your adult supervisor who allowed it to happen. They might be accused of not doing due diligence to ensure that students stay safe. All in all, though, it is likely that your school had no rules against it so it was probably "legal."

My stepsister cheered for a school in Memphis, TN and they were grounded (no stunting) and no more than a RBS, even for competition because in her freshman year a girl fell and was paralyzed. Note, this is not a state or AACCA rule, but a school rule. We have to remember that rules are not made up out of thin air, but mostly because something like this has happened. The likelyhood of getting hurt on a basketball court can be fatal versus falling to a mat. And while some of us are fine and may never get hurt, too many others do.....thus the rule. You may also be surprised that it is the athletes that are good that end up hurt and are unable to continuine cheer in college, because they thing/know they are good, and do it all the time and has never been hurt. This overconfidence is a recipe for desaster......better to air on the side of caution, don't do it.

Who gets the coaches in trouble? Is it the parents? because my parents would never sue my coach over a cheerleading injury.

Who gets the coaches in trouble? Is it the parents? because my parents would never sue my coach over a cheerleading injury.
It could be the parents, a push from other parents (PTA), a push from the school board, or a push from administration to fire the teacher if there is a serious injury. Also, if the story goes public and the news stations get ahold of it, the school board may have no other choice but to have the teacher resign or be fired if the situation gets blown up.

You say that now....but when your child is paralyzed and on a ventilator because a coach had a bunch of high schoolers try a tuck toss, and the medical bills are piling up, and your parents will have to pay those bills for the rest of your life....they'll sue the coach and the school district.

You say that now....but when your child is paralyzed and on a ventilator because a coach had a bunch of high schoolers try a tuck toss, and the medical bills are piling up, and your parents will have to pay those bills for the rest of your life....they'll sue the coach and the school district.
I meant if I got hurt throwing my full, they wouldn't. A tuck toss? Now I think I would walk out if my coach asked me to try that with a bunch high schoolers.

MissBee said:

Right. It's not suing out of anger or malice. It's to get coverage and compensation. Medical bills are INSANE. It's not a matter of morals it's a matter of survival.

I think it's a different age now, Everyone learns to tumble on a spring floor. I learned a full on a hard floor when I was 10, so throwing one on a basketball floor when I was 15 was easy, plus no rules on that when I started high school. I think now that everyone learns on spring floors, girls get false confidence thinking "Oh I landed my full (on a spring floor), lets go throw it at the basketball game." Which I think is why the rule is put in place now and probably for good reason. I guess I am just the person that has been throwing it for so long, I never questioned whether I would not land it, because I knew I wouldn't not land it! Now some of these stunts high schoolers are trying to put up is down right scary when you don't have the proper coach to teach you technique. Honestly I think high schoolers should compete on spring floors too because if were talking about safety, I would think that was safer than a piece of mat thrown on a cafeteria floor.

Right. It's not suing out of anger or malice. It's to get coverage and compensation. Medical bills are INSANE. It's not a matter of morals it's a matter of survival.

Yes. And if an athlete did something legal and got hurt, and the parents sued the school and the coach, the school's liability insurance would likely cover it. If the skill was illegal and the coach was complicit in it, that coach would be on the hook. I explain this to my school team when they ask why I won't allow illegal skills (not even those deadly 1/4 twist cradles, lol) when they see other teams performing them.

Does anyone have any statistics on the amount of high school cheerleaders who get hurt doing stunts and tumbling on a basketball floor? I'd like to see that. Has it gone down or up from the past?

I think it's a different age now, Everyone learns to tumble on a spring floor. I learned a full on a hard floor when I was 10, so throwing one on a basketball floor when I was 15 was easy, plus no rules on that when I started high school. I think now that everyone learns on spring floors, girls get false confidence thinking "Oh I landed my full (on a spring floor), lets go throw it at the basketball game." Which I think is why the rule is put in place now and probably for good reason. I guess I am just the person that has been throwing it for so long, I never questioned whether I would not land it, because I knew I wouldn't not land it! Now some of these stunts high schoolers are trying to put up is down right scary when you don't have the proper coach to teach you technique. Honestly I think high schoolers should compete on spring floors too because if were talking about safety, I would think that was safer than a piece of mat thrown on a cafeteria floor.
Agreed!!! Just because you can throw something on the spring floor it does not mean you will have the same results when you try on the wood floor.

I couldn't agree with you more. Suing is not a moral issue when someone is hurt nor is it about whose fault it is, it's about paying the bills. You could be standing on the sidelines and someone runs into you and you get hurt; I promise your are significantly hurt, someone will be sured and someone will be doing the suing. It is much harder when you are being supervised and is allowed to do something considered illegal. The coach/teacher will more than likely loose their job and worse yet, can you imagine being a coach and one of your cheerleaders have an accident that parapyze them.....

I meant if I got hurt throwing my full, they wouldn't. A tuck toss? Now I think I would walk out if my coach asked me to try that with a bunch high schoolers.

As far as high school goes (and the way the law will see it), a full on a basketball court is just as illegal and dangerous as a tuck toss! An illegal skill is an illegal skill.

Back