High School Fun Practices And School Spirit

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Mar 30, 2012
I originally posted this in the coaches forum but thought I'd post it here too for more perspective. Your feedback is really appreciated!

I will be coaching a private school team this year and although they're considered the "Varsity" team, it's really made up of 15 girls who all tried out and made it automatically. I'm trying to think of ideas to make practice fun, as I've been told the enthusiasm and commitment level isn't all that great. Any ideas? (Ex: I remember at camp one year my coach had a decorated sticker board/chart with each stunt group listed and different stunts to try.. we'd then get a a sticker when we completed each) I'm just looking for ways to keep them interested and as excited as I am about cheerleading!

Also ideas for increasing school spirit? I know they can make signs and banners to hang in halls and all that, but I'm really trying to figure out how to boost the spirit and involvement of the student section. I feel guilty making them do crowd interaction cheers in front of the student section when I know they aren't going to "yell blue" when they "yell white."

I'm a new coach so any ideas would help! Thank you!

Try and create a student section at games and have them all wear the same shirt that your squad and you design. Add the incentive of if they wear that shirt then they get in for $1.00 to the game or such. Make sure of course it's okay with the school and it would of course only be good for home games. Also see if it's okay with your school and governing bodies that you throw out like squish balls or t-shirts or something into the crowd when they yell loudly. Good luck, but keep trying hard and convince the girls that the harder they work at getting the crowd involved the more involved the crowd will get.

do competitions between stunt groups. see who can hold a stunt the longest, do "pushups" while holding libs, most show-n-go's etc. It is a ton of fun and your are still helping their skills while having fun.

Back