All-Star Gabi's New Gym And Team Announcement 7/6/15

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Oh sorry I just think this is crazy. I do think she will get some who will join due to her notoriety but even as talented as she is I don't think it can be possible for a 17 year old to be truly ready to coach a team much less own a cheer gym. As a parent I don't really care how much my daughter looks up to her as a flyer, I'm just not investing my money into something like this.

I feel like all these cheerlebrities are going to regret spending their last able years in cheer chasing these opportunities. They can wait. Your body only has so many years that it's capable of competing in this sport. You have your entire life to coach or open a gym or front a clothing line or whatever you want to do. But take it from someone who has aged out, (essentially; open teams are kind of out of the question for me) quit rushing to grow out of being an athlete; and more importantly, a kid.

Being able to successfully teach a class at Woodward does NOT equal being able to successfully run a gym. There's a hell of a lot more to it than that.

Not to mention the fact that she's entering into what is essentially a huge business venture, and she hasn't even graduated high school yet. What about college? Friends? A social life?

I am so angry. When AR announced her gym opening I sort of brushed it off but this has me heated. Here I am, a sport management/business student busting my booty because I want to run a successful business (cheerleading gym) one day. I am spending so much time on classes and I am going to start coaching soon to get experience. Not only that, I will have to have a "real person" job for years before I make enough money to invest into a gym. And this 17 year old girl just opens it as she pleases? Not to mention people will go there because of the name. I just feel as if it undermines people who built their gyms up from the bottom. So many programs started small and took many years to become successful. Sorry just felt the need to rant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's probably the only perk she has from being who she is at this point in time - her name. She's established herself as a brand and is cashing in on that. Hopefully for her sake she will have good business backing and good coaches for anyone who decides to join her team.

I wish her all the luck in the world. She is taking advantage of her reputation while it is still "marketable". I feel certain her parents/friends in the industry/coaches will be very hands on. Her presence in the gym on a regular basis will help with marketing as well. I am really not surprised that she is going in this direction. She has made cheer a huge priority in life. I am hoping she will also make continuing her education a priority too as there is a LOT that goes into running a successful business.

Running a gym is extremely difficult.

First - you gotta find a proper location. No offense to South Dakota... but it is very hard to make a successful gym in SD. Why? Not a high population, not a large population interested in cheer, not a culture around to support it. On the reverse if you open a gym in a highly competitive area you are going to have people competing against you. Every once in a while you will find golden opportunities with areas underserved and it is much easier to succeed, but I would not recommend opening a gym in Dallas TX right now.

Second - business differentiation. What makes your gym different than others? A cheerlebrity name helps with the levels 3-5 and the older ages but a Tiny 1 or Mini 2 is 'probably' not going to a gym just because of a famous name. They go for the gym name, or their friend recommended it, or had wanted to do a 'flip class'.

Third - just managing it. While it is awesome everyone has a quadruple full being able to do billing properly, logistics of equipment, management of employees, offering the classes at the proper times in the proper areas. Unless you are in an extremely unique situation (like that of GT which is college Worlds top heavy) most of your money is from the younger lower level kids teaching flips. Camps are easy money comparatively. You step in, you flip and stunt, you take your check, and you go home.

Can this be done by a 17 year old? Sure, crazier things have happened. But are the expectations to create a successful business, win worlds, or do both? Making money, being successful, and winning is all really hard and takes the right combo of 'usually' years of business maturity to happen.

I feel her name will bring in the little ones who want to start cheering and think it will be fun. Unless she gets a well known, well experienced coach (Es) it will not be a "Worlds" gym. I am sure her parents can handle the business side, but name alone will not make it the gym to b at for level 5s at least not in the near future.

Oh, there's been lots of involvement from both parents, I'm sure.
Parents running a cheer gym might be worse than an athlete running a cheer gym... :eek:

@stuntjumptumble - keep doing what you are doing. You are setting yourself up to be successful for life. You are doing things right, and your education and work experience will pay off in the long run. I have always believed that every gym owner should take some basic business classes, annual customer service workshops, and a class or 2 on child growth and development. Not that you can't make it work without them, but as King said, there is a LOT that goes in to running a <successful> gym.

What gyms are located within the area she plans to be in??

Top Gun
Florida Triple Threat
Flip City
Palm Beach Lightning
Cheer Florida
PCX
Jaguar Athletics
East Coast Flames
South Florida Allstars
Boca Xtreme
IDOL
Broward Elite
Cheer Factory
Step Ahead
Miami Elite

These are all in the tri-county area (Palm Beach, Broward and Dade) I know there are more that I'm not thinking of right now.

Back