All-Star Gabi's New Gym And Team Announcement 7/6/15

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

My high school did calc weird. We basically only did calc our senior year, but still somehow took the BC Calc test. I did well enough on my exam to get credit for Calc 1 and 2, but retook Calc 2 my first semester because there was no way I was going straight into multivariable calculus. I think most of the stuff I already knew, but I'm glad I did it.
That's actually normal. Calc BC is supposed to be a one year thing, you don't have to take AB then BC. It's more like college in that you do both in one year, sort of like doing two one semester classes. Our school had the option of calc BC or calc AB. Most people who were seniors took AB, but the juniors who were two years ahead would take BC typically.

That's actually normal. Calc BC is supposed to be a one year thing, you don't have to take AB then BC. It's more like college in that you do both in one year, sort of like doing two one semester classes. Our school had the option of calc BC or calc AB. Most people who were seniors took AB, but the juniors who were two years ahead would take BC typically.

Oh ok, I guess that makes sense. We didn't have an AB Calc option, but we did some of the beginning of AB my junior year, if I remember correctly. (And this was over 10 years ago, so I'm probably not). I did geometry in 9th grade, algebra 2 in 10th, ???? in 11th (it wasn't called pre-calc, but it more or less was), and AP in 12th.

ETA: I just looked up the course listing for my old hs and it looks like they offer AB Calc now too. And the math class for 11th graders is apparently called "Differential Calculus" even though it's not an AP class .... wait I remember now. 11th grade had some precalc and covered SOME of AB, but not enough to take the test. So we finished AB and did BC senior year.

ETA2: And it looks like they now offer a Dual Enrollment option for some courses with a nearby(ish) college

Last edited:
Oh ok, I guess that makes sense. We didn't have an AB Calc option, but we did some of the beginning of AB my junior year, if I remember correctly. (And this was over 10 years ago, so I'm probably not). I did geometry in 9th grade, algebra 2 in 10th, ???? in 11th (it wasn't called pre-calc, but it more or less was), and AP in 12th.

ETA: I just looked up the course listing for my old hs and it looks like they offer AB Calc now too. And the math class for 11th graders is apparently called "Differential Calculus" even though it's not an AP class .... wait I remember now. 11th grade had some precalc and covered SOME of AB, but not enough to take the test. So we finished AB and did BC senior year.

ETA2: And it looks like they now offer a Dual Enrollment option for some courses with a nearby(ish) college

Just having Calc as an option is weird to me; in my school you either did Applied Math for 3 years or you did Algebra, Geometry, Algebra II and senior year it was an elective. I don't remember anything higher math wise even being an option.

CLEP tests. I'm telling you- they saved me my senior year when my senior adviser (RIP- she REALLY was a great lady) accidentally screwed up my transcript and then I needed 2 credits halfway through my last semester. If you go online to your school/CLEP website I think it shows you what tests are accepted as credit. If you're really strong in a subject, it's a great way to bang out a few credits on your own time.

That's what annoyed me about Pace. 'Oh, we'll give you your official transcript overview and final credit count AFTER it's too late for you to do anything about it.'

@Jessicaa let me know if you do come! Showing people around the city is one of my favorite things and I have no Swedish friends here :(

The APs are pretty much a requirement for the competitive colleges these days. Average GPAs are above 4...even at many state schools. My friend's daughter was told she didn't have enough APs (she went to a top notch private school for HS) for Georgia. My CP is at a state school here where average for this year's freshmen is 4.13

In my college and high school you can't score above a 4.0. I took several duel credit classes in high school and I got an A in all of them but it was still given the same amount of weight as an A in a "normal" class. As for my college, I've had a 100% (or higher in a few classes) in several classes and it's still a counts as 4.0 points (per credit hour) on the scale. Which frustrates me but it is what it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my college and high school you can't score above a 4.0. I took several duel credit classes in high school and I got an A in all of them but it was still given the same amount of weight as an A in a "normal" class. As for my college, I've had a 100% (or higher in a few classes) in several classes and it's still a counts as 4.0 points (per credit hour) on the scale. Which frustrates me but it is what it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Same with my CPs school, but some colleges have their own weighting system. At one college she applied for, I think you got an extra point added on to your grade if it was an AP class, and a half point if it was an honors class. So if you got a B+ in your AP class, you ended up with a weighted grade of a 4.3 or so from the college's standpoint.

My cousin takes one college class per semester and they are on saturdays. She is now starting her senior year. I think it sounds great and it's all free. So jealous [emoji28]

Same with my CPs school, but some colleges have their own weighting system. At one college she applied for, I think you got an extra point added on to your grade if it was an AP class, and a half point if it was an honors class. So if you got a B+ in your AP class, you ended up with a weighted grade of a 4.3 or so from the college's standpoint.
Some of my CP friends had as high as 4.8 GPA!

AP's are important because passing the AP test is the best way to prove to a perspective college that you know that subject matter - like a 5 on the Chemistry AP test will prove that you know Chemistry a lot more than getting all A's your entire HS career, being Valedictorian of your HS, etc. There is such a wide range of High Schools out there, some are very rigorous to the point where exceptional students will get B's and C's, and some are a cake walk where someone can get all A's w/ minimal effort - and these standardized tests (APs, SAT, ACT) are really the best way for colleges to equalize everyone. And of course there's the added benefit of possibly saving college tuition money.

Does anyone have any news about the tryouts? Was it a success? I don't follow twitter etc so maybe I missed something.

Back