All-Star Gabi's New Gym And Team Announcement 7/6/15

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I quoted getsum. I wasn't referring to anyone else but the poster that I quoted. He or she has been on the boards claiming to know nothing and have no connection with smoed or any of the web series but is always the one posting about them, with pictures and information that no one unaffiliated would know and rarely posts about anything else. I could care less what affiliattion they have - I'm just not a fan of people who aren't truthful on the board.
Gasp! Are you implying that they're more than just the "fan" they pretend to be? ;)

Very true. I'm on my third year "off". I worked one year, lived in LA one year and now working one year so i'll have some money saved for college. I'm planning on attending a college in NYC. If i wanted to stay here in Sweden i probably would only have taken a year off though :p
COME HANG OUT WITH ME!

...I think a gap year to travel/experience different cultures is much, much different than taking a year off college to cheer. The things I learned about Japan in the 10 days I was there compounded by a year of similar experiences in other countries? #alltheknowledge

Personally I think a gap year is risky because once a person gets out of the mindset and habit of constant school and learning it can be very hard to get back into it again. It requires a lot of discipline and if you are going to school for a math/science/technology degree you can actually forget things from HS that you need to do well.

I was a very strong student in college and then took off two years to work before starting my masters at night - I will never forget how unbelievable hard it was getting back into the education/learning mindset after that time off. Things that used to be easy were hard, and I was nowhere near as disciplined as I used to be. I'm sure a lot of it had to do w/ working a professional job during the day (yet I worked a lot as an undergrad too), and I pushed through and got it done, but it was so hard. I couldn't imagine taking a break between HS and college - it would have been really rough.

Id be curious to see statistics on college graduation rates of kids who take a year off inbetween versus those who go straight from HS to college. I wouldn't want to count those who are more than 5 years in those stats cause those are a different type of situation IMO.

Last edited:
I'm so sorry (and I am SURE this program is not the only one doing it- several gyms probably had Worlds kids on the floor at Summit) but an R5 fielded with Gabi and most likely every Worlds IO division friend of hers who is still senior team eligible screams Shady Athletics.

Summit rules allow 5 World athletes to crossover . I, personally, would love to see that number go to zero but, if we are going to call them "Shady Athletics" if they max out the 5 World athletes, then there are several gyms that would have to go into the "Shady Athletics" category.

Summit rules allow 5 World athletes to crossover . I, personally, would love to see that number go to zero but, if we are going to call them "Shady Athletics" if they max out the 5 World athletes, then there are several gyms that would have to go into the "Shady Athletics" category.
I'm pretty sure she agrees since she states that in the first sentence of her post!

Personally I think a gap year is risky because once a person gets out of the mindset and habit of constant school and learning it can be very hard to get back into it again. It requires a lot of discipline and if you are going to school for a math/science/technology degree you can actually forget things from HS that you need to do well.

I was a very strong student in college and then took off two years to work before starting my masters at night - I will never forget how unbelievable hard it was getting back into the education/learning mindset after that time off. Things that used to be easy were hard, and I was nowhere near as disciplined as I used to be. I'm sure a lot of it had to do w/ working a professional job during the day (yet I worked a lot as an undergrad too), and I pushed through and got it done, but it was so hard. I couldn't imagine taking a break between HS and college - it would have been really rough.

Id be curious to see statistics on college graduation rates of kids who take a year off inbetween versus those who go straight from HS to college. I wouldn't want to count those who are more than 5 years in those stats cause those are a different type of situation IMO.
I'm taking a year off this year for many reasons. First, and foremost, I had no idea what I wanted to take in college so I wasn't going to waste my money on applying and getting into some program that I was 'kinda' interested in. Secondly, I wanted to save up some money before going to school so I wouldn't come out in complete debt. I am cheering this year, but my decision to take a year off had nothing to do with cheerleading. I do agree that getting back into the swing of things once I start college next year will be extremely tough, but after spending a year working 60 hours a week between my 2 jobs at Tim Horton's and Best Buy, I think I will be more than ready to go to school so I can start a real career. Just the opinion of an 18 year old in this exact position.

I'm taking a year off this year for many reasons. First, and foremost, I had no idea what I wanted to take in college so I wasn't going to waste my money on applying and getting into some program that I was 'kinda' interested in. Secondly, I wanted to save up some money before going to school so I wouldn't come out in complete debt. I am cheering this year, but my decision to take a year off had nothing to do with cheerleading. I do agree that getting back into the swing of things once I start college next year will be extremely tough, but after spending a year working 60 hours a week between my 2 jobs at Tim Horton's and Best Buy, I think I will be more than ready to go to school so I can start a real career. Just the opinion of an 18 year old in this exact position.
Did you consider at any point taking the year to do some gen ed credits at a community college that you could then transfer to the school you attend next year? Not sure if that was an option for you but we've known quite a few kids who did that and were better off in the long run because they were able to get some credits out of the way at a marginal cost.

Did you consider at any point taking the year to do some gen ed credits at a community college that you could then transfer to the school you attend next year? Not sure if that was an option for you but we've known quite a few kids who did that and were better off in the long run because they were able to get some credits out of the way at a marginal cost.
Honestly, I never looked into that. I live in Canada so I'm not even sure if that was an option. If it was presented to me I might have looked into it, but with my work and cheer situation I'm in right now, I don't think taking any kind of classes would logistically fit into the schedule.

Honestly, I never looked into that. I live in Canada so I'm not even sure if that was an option. If it was presented to me I might have looked into it, but with my work and cheer situation I'm in right now, I don't think taking any kind of classes would logistically fit into the schedule.
I don't think it is possible here. There is no such thing as general ed in college... well, at least here. CEGEP does that for us so when you leave you choose your path. But for the ROC, I never heard anything about general ed in college.

Yes, many other programs use as many worlds crossovers as possible(or at least it seems that way), but I give them just as much side-eye as I will this program if she has many of her worlds team members cross to the summit team just for a chance to say "we went to summit and worlds our first year".

Smartest thing ever. Take all the general ed classes at your community college for a fraction of the cost and transfer when you're ready for major classes (and know what you want to major in). As long as you were smart and assured that the gen ed stuff you took would transfer to the college of your choice you can get a degree from that university for a fraction of the cost.

COME HANG OUT WITH ME!

...I think a gap year to travel/experience different cultures is much, much different than taking a year off college to cheer. The things I learned about Japan in the 10 days I was there compounded by a year of similar experiences in other countries? #alltheknowledge

OMG YES! I will totally need a cheer buddy :cheering:

Smartest thing ever. Take all the general ed classes at your community college for a fraction of the cost and transfer when you're ready for major classes (and know what you want to major in). As long as you were smart and assured that the gen ed stuff you took would transfer to the college of your choice you can get a degree from that university for a fraction of the cost.

Or, depending upon the area you live in, look into dual enrollment and knock out your general ed while in high school. Don't be an OA like me and burn yourself out; but I didn't pay for my general AA degree; my county did. The GI Bill is paying for my BS and a year of my Master's---thankfully.

Latest posts

Back