All-Star Gabi's New Gym And Team Announcement 7/6/15

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I don't think that's completely true. It was emphasized to us over and over that the colleges want to see that the students aren't slacking and that taking harder classes especially senior year was very important if they were trying to get into more competitive programs.

Exactly. I interned at an education solutions company, and got to sit in on admissions talks with a lot of high profiled schools, and they almost always say that APs are a huge factors. It's easy to get all A's in regular classes, competitive schools want to see students taking challenging courses, similar to those at the school.

My school district was one of the top in the country, and the college processes often started early-taking classes and joining clubs to build the application. What set me apart from some of my genius friends, was that I actually did more than get good grades. I was an A/B student with a competitive schedule, good test scores and a ton of extracurriculars. I've seen A students with an almost all AP schedule not get into a top 100 probably because they didn't have any clubs or sports. I've A students with no APs not get into top 100 schools because their schedule wasn't challenging.

Last edited:
W/ all these crazy requirements at state schools now, where is the average student supposed to go? Is it just that now the average student has a GPA above 4.0? I really don't think that's whats happening at my sons school btw - the honor roll reports have a classification for kids w/ 4.0 or + every 9 weeks, and I'd say at most 15% of the kids in any 9-12 grade are on that list - so are 85% of the kids in my sons grade doomed to not be able to get into a half way decent school?

Is it possible that some of these schools are rejecting candidates w/ really high stats because they feel they are overqualified?

I think a lot of the issues have started with the state sponsored scholarships that are tied to not just being in-state, but being the top percentage of students. Florida has a similar set-up though I have no idea what it's called now.

I personally didn't have an issue being accepted into the University of Florida when entering as a Junior (I still had a great GPA, but things like SAT/ACT no longer mattered, instead they wanted my GRE score), but had I tried to enter as a freshman it would have been 50/50 even with an amazing GPA and ACT/SAT score.

In our area, the push for community college and then transferring at a university used to be really strong. It likely still is, but the community college I used to attend is no more; instead it turned into a 4 year university that you just don't 'go away' for; but is a state school now.

in case anyone is wondering, this isn't the gym she announced she was opening.. this is a different project. aka 2 gyms...

Back