All-Star Gabi's New Gym And Team Announcement 7/6/15

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

When I think of brilliant people who can't teach, I often think about Albert Einstein. He is our model for genius in modern times. He accomplished so many wonderful things but when he taught his classes, the room would be completely empty because ordinary students couldn't flow his teaching style (the university made him teach to an empty room to fulfill his obligations). Just because you accomplish something doesn't mean you can or should teach it

I don't care what skills you have. I care about what skills you can get me to achieve. And you need to prove your expertise to me, so I'd personally take a Worlds winning coach over a Worlds winning athlete any day. I'm a little selfish like that. ;)
And rightfully so. It's not like these classes cost only a dollar... ;)

I don't care what skills you have. I care about what skills you can get me to achieve. And you need to prove your expertise to me, so I'd personally take a Worlds winning coach over a Worlds winning athlete any day. I'm a little selfish like that. ;)
I can remember describing tumbling clinics to my cp and using these words "it has the top tumbling coaches in the world" so even if she might want to meet a cheerleb we still want to learn from the experience. She hasn't been to a cheerleb clinic but has been to tumbling and stunt clinics with awesome coaches.

I can remember describing tumbling clinics to my cp and using these words "it has the top tumbling coaches in the world" so even if she might want to meet a cheerleb we still want to learn from the experience. She hasn't been to a cheerleb clinic but has been to tumbling and stunt clinics with awesome coaches.
Or put another way-

If you're a "world champion athlete", you got there by being able to perform the skills that another has taught you. So why am I paying YOU to teach me those skills? Why not just skip the middle man and go straight to the source? Especially since I know they can teach effectively?

Or put another way-

If you're a "world champion athlete", you got there by being able to perform the skills that another has taught you. So why am I paying YOU to teach me those skills? Why not just skip the middle man and go straight to the source? Especially since I know they can teach effectively?

Well ... just playing devil's advocate a bit...

1. the coach isn't traveling the country

2. often in school and sports i feel like i learned sometimes quicker and better by other students/athletes who mastered the skill already, and felt more comfortable around my peer instead of a teacher or coach .. just a thought :)

Well ... just playing devil's advocate a bit...

1. the coach isn't traveling the country

2. often in school and sports i feel like i learned sometimes quicker and better by other students/athletes who mastered the skill already, and felt more comfortable around my peer instead of a teacher or coach .. just a thought :)
Some do, I believe. Debbie Love (the obvious first answer) travels a lot. Or you have things like Super CAmp where you're there (I know some of those working there are also athletes as well as coaches).

Honestly it could go either way- some things are better from a coach, some things are better from a different coach, and some things are better from a peer. But to insist that because you've won X award means that you're automatically qualified to impart knowledge, I say no lol

Weird draw- we had that video a year or so ago where some World Champ athletes were coaching a team and people flipped out over the technique. Anyone remember THAT?

I am one of the parents who has paid for cheerleb clinics this summer. I am not expecting that CP will learn any new skills at them, but I do hope that she will have fun, be challenged and get to hang with some of her old teammates from our old gym. It is just a fun way to spend the day and her confidence and excitement for the sport usually is sky high after attending a clinic. She isn't into the cheerleb thing (with the exception of Gabi) that much. She is more impressed by "teams".

When it comes to learning and refining CP's skills, time is booked with her coach who has won Worlds 2xs as an athlete and is a tumbling legend in his own right. The fact that there is a true relationship built on trust and familiarity between them is the thing that will help her succeed, not an autograph ;)

He is an example of someone who is doing it the traditional way. He (co)coaches some of the higher level teams with very experienced/recognized coaches, infact he has worked with one of the gym's "signature" teams since he was only 19/20. A few years later, he now has a lower level team of his own which he also choregraphs.He is paying his dues. I don't doubt for a second that he will have a long and very succesful career as a coach.

I think it is possible for the current cheerlebs too. I know that they have the talent and the drive. I think it is smart that they are doing the clinics while at the height of their notoriety...but, I do agree that learning to coach (as a co-coach) and not just as an athlete will make them even stronger.

Last edited:
True. On a positive note, I do admire these cheerlebs starting clinics because at the end of the day, it adds and builds up their resume and they can also learn from that.

I know her family is helping her with a lot of this stuff, I know she is a very well respected person in this market and no doubt she knows what she's teaching and doing etc seeing how she's coming from three top gyms in the nation (Top Gun, Gym Tyme, and Cali)

My only concern is who has the authority in this? she's a minor and cannot sign any legal documents so are parents really going to take her seriously when it comes to paying dues, being on time some where etc.

That's what I'm afraid of for her.

Sorry if this has been posted before, but i'm just curious. Please correct me if needed.

Also, a lot of young people seem to be wanting to start up teams/gyms lately. I used to be one of them, but I quickly learned that a lot of young people who want to start up gyms including my self at one point just wanted the control of it it all, and "fun part" of it. Not really considering dealing with parents who will question your every move, filing taxes every year, qualifying for 5013c non profit or LLC etc, there is a lot that goes into running a business. Its more than just teaching cheerleading once you open a gym. Many people again, including my self once upon time, forget that portion! I'm not speaking about Gabi specially I know she's very well supported and serious about what she's doing, but I'm speaking of a lot of the other young people that are suddenly opening gyms or running programs.

Also, a lot of young people seem to be wanting to start up teams/gyms lately. I used to be one of them, but I quickly learned that a lot of young people who want to start up gyms including my self at one point just wanted the control of it it all, and "fun part" of it. Not really considering dealing with parents who will question your every move, filing taxes every year, qualifying for 5013c non profit or LLC etc, there is a lot that goes into running a business. Its more than just teaching cheerleading once you open a gym. Many people again, including my self once upon time, forget that portion! I'm not speaking about Gabi specially I know she's very well supported and serious about what she's doing, but I'm speaking of a lot of the other young people that are suddenly opening gyms or running programs.
It sounds like you got some great advice from some very wise adults that have BTDT.

Last edited:
I know her family is helping her with a lot of this stuff, I know she is a very well respected person in this market and no doubt she knows what she's teaching and doing etc seeing how she's coming from three top gyms in the nation (Top Gun, Gym Tyme, and Cali)

My only concern is who has the authority in this? she's a minor and cannot sign any legal documents so are parents really going to take her seriously when it comes to paying dues, being on time some where etc.

That's what I'm afraid of for her.

Sorry if this has been posted before, but i'm just curious. Please correct me if needed.

There is no doubt that Gabi has talent but I don't think it is because of the gyms she was at. It is because she has a natural athletic gift and was fortunate enough to have some great coaches to help develop her skills. She could have been at some small unknown gyms and still been a fiercely elite level all star cheerleader with the proper coaching. The big name gyms though are what helped make her known.

**spy games, let the fun begin**

Some do, I believe. Debbie Love (the obvious first answer) travels a lot. Or you have things like Super CAmp where you're there (I know some of those working there are also athletes as well as coaches).

Honestly it could go either way- some things are better from a coach, some things are better from a different coach, and some things are better from a peer. But to insist that because you've won X award means that you're automatically qualified to impart knowledge, I say no lol

Weird draw- we had that video a year or so ago where some World Champ athletes were coaching a team and people flipped out over the technique. Anyone remember THAT?
Was it good or bad technique? Which kids were coaching what team?

Back