All-Star Gabi's New Gym And Team Announcement 7/6/15

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

OK, now I'm confused. Please define... How did she "act out"? That one has me baffled. Not to mention, you are completely missing the point.

My daughter could care less about the comment. Do you honestly think this is the first time she has had negative comments on social media? I only commented on this thread because there was a lot of deflecting and defending of the comment because others felt he had the right intentions. My only point, that I continue to try to impress, is that intent does not excuse insulting a child publically on social media, especially if you are a coach. Coaches are supposed to hold themselves to a higher standard, just like doctors in patient care or lawyers with respect to upholding the law. When you are a teacher, you cannot behave this way. You are teaching these impressionable young athletes that it is ok to behave that way. They turn around and call a kid at their school a "punka##" and think it's ok because their coach did it on Twitter. I coached diving for 7 years. During that time, I learned very quickly that when you are a coach your opinion of your athletes is very important to them. Many take your comments to heart.

This continues to be the drum I am pounding on. I don't expect anyone to apologize, especially a repeat offender who has done this many times in the past. History tells me he thinks he has the right to insult children even though he is a teacher regardless of the situation. What I'm simply saying is this position is wrong. We can either minimize it or identify it and seek to change it. Change can occur in the form of us changing ourselves or as us not tolerating or minimizing it. The choice is up to you. It's very possible that I stand alone on my belief that a child should never be insulted on a public social media platform by any coach and if that's the case, I'm happy to stand firm by myself in this belief. My grandma always taught me, stand for something or you'll fall for anything!

1. No one agrees with what JP said except for the fact that he brings up a good point. It's a funny thing how a comment can be BOTH important and out of place. It's also funny that as mature people, we can separate the two issues at hand.
2. We've ALL said how bad his behavior was. So we've addressed the issue you have a problem with. It doesn't mean we're going to go form an angry mob with pitchforks.
3. Your daughter isn't affected by the comment. It seems that you are more affected by it than she is.
4. We cannot control what others do. We can only control ourselves.

My only advice to you is to block the coach who is constantly saying things about your child. Its never going to end to be honest
You're probably right. I guess I am the eternal optimist... always hoping for a better world for us all to live in. It just scares me to see behavior like that because we have seen first hand how it can affect kids. We have met so many and heard stories about huge blows to self confidence from kids who were hurt by someone who publicly insulted them social media. It's just a shame.

Thank you @crazzyeyesassypants

I think it's a little vague to say that anyone working with children can't hold an opinion of a child. If you only knew what teacher's said on their days off or child psychologists in group meetings---it's not all rainbows and sunshines, Mr. Butler, the difference was JP said it out loud; instead of inside his head or at a round-table with like professioned adults.

I clearly see that you don't understand the original point I made; so I'm not really one to waste my time or breathe, but I largely agree with what @FamousMatty said.

I still don't agree with what JP said; it was still tasteless and inappropriate, but is it enough to torch him over? No. Side eye, maybe.

You're probably right. I guess I am the eternal optimist... always hoping for a better world for us all to live in. It just scares me to see behavior like that because we have seen first hand how it can affect kids. We have met so many and heard stories about huge blows to self confidence from kids who were hurt by someone who publicly insulted them social media. It's just a shame.

now I can say if he begins to SLANDER your child you can take legal action. Especially now that she has a business

1. No one agrees with what JP said except for the fact that he brings up a good point. It's a funny thing how a comment can be BOTH important and out of place. It's also funny that as mature people, we can separate the two issues at hand.
2. We've ALL said how bad his behavior was. So we've addressed the issue you have a problem with. It doesn't mean we're going to go form an angry mob with pitchforks.
3. Your daughter isn't affected by the comment. It seems that you are more affected by it than she is.
4. We cannot control what others do. We can only control ourselves.
1. There was no point brought up in the insulting tweet made toward my daughter.
2. I never asked for an angry mob with pitchforks. Only for the recognition that public insults from a coach on social media are unacceptable. If you recognized this, then we are on the same side.
3. You're darn right I was affected by it. We all should be. It was unacceptable behavior and should not be tolerated by any coach in cheer or any other sport.
4. Agreed. However, we can stand together in not tolerating this behavior. I saw many coaches encouraging the behavior with comments on the ASGA thread. Additionally, being indifferent to this type of behavior only seeks to encourage it.

Jamie Parrish is not the only one wrong in this argument (and I don't think a single person defended the way he said what he did). You can't preach "don't say mean things" when your own family members are doing just that. He said what he had to say and let it go a week ago....

"You are only responsible for being honest, not for someone else's reaction to your honesty."

No problem, not sure how I would have handle someone lashing out like that at my daughter, I think it's fine if he wants to ask questions about insurance and safety but once he starts calling my kid names that's a line that should have not been crossed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes other kids might have taken the incident more to heart, but those kids most certainly would not have been a public figure and in the spotlight for years, participating in several reality shows, hosting clinics and having their own youtube channel. Sure , anyone can have dark thoughts and commit suicide, but for the most part it is not the famous , loved-by-many-hated-by-few , coming from a stable environment kind people who do. It's often the ones that have been severely bullied, physically and mentally abused or ''simply'' those who suffer from depression.
Suicide is a very difficult topic and i understand the thought behind the post but i just can not accept it being used in this context because it is just not relevant in this case. It just rubs me the wrong way

Did Miley Cyrus get a lot of mean talk when she was underage? How about all the other kid stars out there? All of them had to deal with it and no one would even think about saying they were bullied. I think it is very very difficult to talk about bullying whenever you are famous, no matter in what area.

Last edited:
My original comment was directed at the idea of Cheerlebrity "coaches" in general, not specifically your child alone. However, since that is the topic at hand I will say this. I think in this day and age there has been a redefining of the word bullying. What I called a bully when I was in school is not what you call a bully today. While I agree with JP's underlying intent I am not excusing how he handled it. He made an ugly comment, owned it, explained it and moved on. I understand you are not asking for a rally against him, but I also think you are throwing around a lot of accusations that his action is being excused and that is not the case. Neither party is innocent in this. There were tweets from your side of the argument that were deleted and could be considered just as incriminating. Not to mention your wife's public threat to share screen shots from a private group she is not involved with in my mind would be considered bullying...and if I am not mistaken this is not the first time she has made that threat or taken that action. So if we are preaching that JP is not to be excused for his actions...the same must be said for your side of things as well. In the same turn that I would not idly sit by an watch a coach attack a child I also would not idly sit by and watch a parent threaten and bully and entire group of people based off of privileged information that was not intended for her in the first place. I think the moral of the story here for both JP and your family as well is what my mother taught me at a young age:

Be careful when pointing your finger at someone, as there are always three fingers pointing back at yourself when you do so.

Whooo! I clutched my pearls reading the last few pages. Maybe it's just me but my response to the last page or two is that someone is missing the point so John took the words right out of my mouth. I just don't see how what he is trying to get across is getting lost in translation. Can someone explain to me what was said on Twitter from the Butler end of things because I must've missed something and the Twitter world confuses me so I don't even bother. What was said on Twitter that made the fact JP felt it was fine to direct foul language to a child on social media no big deal? Because whether she owns one business or ten, she's still a minor. We're not talking about someone that is unhappy with a product or service here (since that argument about having thick skin being in business has been tossed about). We're talking about an adult that can't seem to articulate even valid points in a manner in which others are not offended and appalled. So Please help me understand because from what I'm reading, that's all @John Butler is trying to address.

I skipped half of this discussion but, maybe it's the fact that I'm currently addled by an allergic reaction to excessive seawater..

But as someone who is intimately familiar with suicide and the emotional state it takes to get to those thoughts, I'd kindly ask that people not throw those words around lightly. It is a measured and direct thought to get you close to that step, and it is NOT something that someone who is truly in that dark, deep place handles with a cavalier attitude. Getting close/finally committing isn't something you "choose" after a one-off instance. It is a dark and insidious mental twist that eats at you constantly. Thank you.

I skipped half of this discussion but, maybe it's the fact that I'm currently addled by an allergic reaction to excessive seawater..

But as someone who is intimately familiar with suicide and the emotional state it takes to get to those thoughts, I'd kindly ask that people not throw those words around lightly. It is a measured and direct thought to get you close to that step, and it is NOT something that someone who is truly in that dark, deep place handles with a cavalier attitude. Getting close/finally committing isn't something you "choose" after a one-off instance. It is a dark and insidious mental twist that eats at you constantly. Thank you.

right after the pilot of that germanwings flight committed suicide there was an interview on the radio with a guy who had actually tried to kill himself a few years ago, he somehow survived and finally got help that took him to a better place and a ''new life''. He talked about how difficult it was for him , even though he had made the decision to really end his life, to actually take that last step and do it. It was a very honest and very brutal interview and it gave a lot of insight and made me realize that a lot of people don't really know anything about the topic

It has taken me 3 days to get through this thread as I wanted to read all the posts, but the subject matter makes me so sad/angry.
I have a daughter the same age as Gabi....is she as well known? No, but as a parent of a 17 year old, I am saddened by the fact that because Gabi is a "cheerlebrity" (HATE THE TERM) some think she should be tougher/deal with the foul-mouthed attack by a MUCH OLDER ADULT. This whole event started because an "adult" decided to state his personal opinion of an athlete who was underage and starting a business that he clearly did not think she was capable of. In the "guise" of concern, he questioned the legality/safety of said business. He tried to "cloak" his comments with "concern for the industry" but unfortunately, those "concerns" lost credibility with me when he called this young athlete several unacceptable names. Does JP have some valid points? Yes. Did I think about those things when I first heard of this? Yes. Her dad is speaking up here because he (like me) is saddened/appalled/surprised by the amount of people who aren't bothered by the fact that an a MUCH OLDER ADULT is acting like (or younger) a 17 year old. And yes, I have seen comments from both sides on Facebook, Twitter, etc, but none of this would have started if a MUCH OLDER ADULT would have kept his PERSONAL opinions of the athlete to himself and just stated the facts. Again, he lost all credibility with me when he attacked her personally. Her popularity should not enter into this. She did not do anything except announce a new business and try to promote it. It was NEVER personal on her end. It was made personal by a MUCH OLDER ADULT. I will always think it is wrong for a MUCH OLDER ADULT to attack a 17 year old no matter what the circumstances. Maturity has to play into this at some point. I don't care what the child does/says etc.....but that's just me.

right after the pilot of that germanwings flight committed suicide there was an interview on the radio with a guy who had actually tried to kill himself a few years ago, he somehow survived and finally got help that took him to a better place and a ''new life''. He talked about how difficult it was for him , even though he had made the decision to really end his life, to actually take that last step and do it. It was a very honest and very brutal interview and it gave a lot of insight and made me realize that a lot of people don't really know anything about the topic

Is this interview in english? I'd love to listen to it.

You're right, the majority of people don't know anything about it. Suicide is a brutal, brutal subject. By the time someone starts to think about killing themself, they are already very deep into something dark. And because there is such a stigma around it (and mental health in general) it makes it extremely hard for people suffering with these thoughts to reach out for help. It doesn't help when the media romanticizes it in such away that it is seen as not a big deal. It is a big deal. And it needs to be talked about. I really had hoped Robin Williams' death would open the floor up for an open, public discussion about mental health and suicide but surprise, surprise, it didn't happen.

Regarding the comment about the recent suicide of the MCE athlete, about how there was no indication she was hurting - this is exactly what perpetuating the stigma around mental health does. It makes it impossible for people to feel comfortable enough to reach out and get the help and support they need to get through whatever was happening inside. This is the first time I'm hearing about her death so my thoughts go out to everyone affected by that.

@kristenthegreat - literally yes to all of yourself and what you said.

Is this interview in english? I'd love to listen to it.

You're right, the majority of people don't know anything about it. Suicide is a brutal, brutal subject. By the time someone starts to think about killing themself, they are already very deep into something dark. And because there is such a stigma around it (and mental health in general) it makes it extremely hard for people suffering with these thoughts to reach out for help. It doesn't help when the media romanticizes it in such away that it is seen as not a big deal. It is a big deal. And it needs to be talked about. I really had hoped Robin Williams' death would open the floor up for an open, public discussion about mental health and suicide but surprise, surprise, it didn't happen.

Regarding the comment about the recent suicide of the MCE athlete, about how there was no indication she was hurting - this is exactly what perpetuating the stigma around mental health does. It makes it impossible for people to feel comfortable enough to reach out and get the help and support they need to get through whatever was happening inside. This is the first time I'm hearing about her death so my thoughts go out to everyone affected by that.

@kristenthegreat - literally yes to all of yourself and what you said.
Yes, it really pisses me off when I hear parents dismiss suicide as an act committed by a weak person.

Back