All-Star Getting Caught...

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

That's partly why I like the d1/d2 split. Small gyms can not survive w/o crossovers. But big gyms (and this one has enough kids not to need to use crossovers, they have 9 teams) do not need to be doing this. Hopefully the same rules that apply at the summit will be across the board soon.
I disagree about not being able to survive without crossovers. Most of the gyms around here are super small--only one or two teams, a senior and either a youth or junior. No crossovers. Small gyms can survive just fine without crossovers. They just can't have everything/every team.

Ah, I didn't know this. In that case, I say crossovers should be completely eliminated.

I'm curious, how do those gyms do so well?

USASF defines a team having to have 5 athletes on it. It is definitely difficult to have the overall WOW factor, and pyramids can be challenging as can use of the floor, but it can be done and be done successfully. I forgot the programs name, but there was a Senior or Junior 1 team at Summit last year with 7-8 kids on the floor. They made finals. They were the FREAKING DEAL! I enjoyed watching that team more than most of the teams of 20!

USASF defines a team having to have 5 athletes on it. It is definitely difficult to have the overall WOW factor, and pyramids can be challenging as can use of the floor, but it can be done and be done successfully. I forgot the programs name, but there was a Senior or Junior 1 team at Summit last year with 7-8 kids on the floor. They made finals. They were the FREAKING DEAL! I enjoyed watching that team more than most of the teams of 20!
A couple of years ago I watched a junior 1 or 2 team with 9 kids and it was probably one of the most impressive routines I have ever seen.

I hate the excuse of small gyms exceptions to crossovers. It only takes 5 kids to make a team. I know several small gyms with under 30 athletes that dominate without crossovers.
I'm glad it happens somewhere. We have been doing this for only about 5 years, but in that time I have seen MANY of those small 5-9 person teams, but have NEVER seen them win, no matter how good they appear to be. They just don't do well.

I'm glad it happens somewhere. We have been doing this for only about 5 years, but in that time I have seen MANY of those small 5-9 person teams, but have NEVER seen them win, no matter how good they appear to be. They just don't do well.

On a team of 15-20, its easy to have 3-4 kids that maybe don't have tumbling and you can hide, but you can't hide flaws on a team of 5-9. Everyone needs to be sharp, skills appropriate, etc. Believe me, I have seen MIND BLOWING teams with 5-9, but I have also seen teams with 5-9 that are missing the mark of creativity and skill sets. A team of 5-9 is ALL about choreography and execution, IMO.

We had a team of 7 do fairly well this season. Took a choreographer skilled in maxing the scoresheet. And the two second place finishes were always due to a last minute replacement, can't afford even a slight mistake with that few. However, there was another 4.2 team with 12 that probably would have beat us every time had they not had bobbles. They also maxed out the scoresheet and consistently beat us in difficulty.( and pyramid)

Back