All-Star Getting Into Judging?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Ashley

Staff member
Cheer Parent
FBOD:LLFB
Jan 20, 2010
I probably only have a year or so left in me as an athlete, but I'd like to stay involved in the industry. I've never coached (and don't really have time during the week to do so anyway) but I think I could get into judging. I have no idea how to go about doing that though. Do I start with school cheering? I think that Massachusetts has a class of some sort.

I know the USASF has a safety judge training in the summer, but that's different than panel judging.

Cheer Ltd offers a certification class, would that be a good place to start?

@imrichhowboutu @Andre

Last edited:
The industry is definitely in need of safety judges. Would be happy to chat with you about that process and getting in touch with event producers to get on their radar for events.

Panel judging is a lot different. And requires a different mindset than safety. Not that you can't do both, but just not at the same time.

If you're interested in panel judging there are some companies that offer training courses. And other companies that would just train you at events.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Thanks Rich, I'll reach out to you at some point about this.

Safety judging is probably more up my alley as I think about it. Of course I'll have to learn all of the rules, ha.

Thanks Rich, I'll reach out to you at some point about this.

Safety judging is probably more up my alley as I think about it. Of course I'll have to learn all of the rules, ha.

Safety judging also presents some different challenges than panel judging does. Frequently you are the only safety judge, or paired with just one person, and tasked with the responsibility of watching every single routine. Often panel judges watch every other team. Also the safety judges are frequently requested by event producers to speak with coaches when a skill is illegal. Panel judges do not actually interact with the coaches on site at an event. Just some food for thought!

Safety judging is the same as programming. You would be good at it.

That's an interesting comparison! I figured it was pretty objective and I'd probably be better at that (minus the grey areas ha)

Is safety judging live like panel judging?

That's an interesting comparison! I figured it was pretty objective and I'd probably be better at that.

Is safety judging live like panel judging?

The programming brain is not common in cheerleading so I believe it is one of the reasons many coaches have problems with making routines legal. They don't think in conditionals.

I believe it works way different than panel judging. Rich can tell you.

The programming brain is not common in cheerleading so I believe it is one of the reasons many coaches have problems with making routines legal. They don't think in conditionals.

I believe it works way different than panel judging. Rich can tell you.

Very, very true.

I probably only have a year or so left in me as an athlete, but I'd like to stay involved in the industry. I've never coached (and don't really have time during the week to do so anyway) but I think I could get into judging. I have no idea how to go about doing that though. Do I start with school cheering? I think that Massachusetts has a class of some sort.

I know the USASF has a safety judge training in the summer, but that's different than panel judging.

Cheer Ltd offers a certification class, would that be a good place to start?

For MA HS cheer, if you visit the MSSAA Cheerleading site (Cheerleading they have all the "Important" people in HS cheer and their contact info listed. They also, usually after the winter season ends, post dates and sign ups to attend a judges clinic, I think usually in Franklin (go to clinic, shadow judge competitions, then you can judge)

I think I'm going to try and get certified as a MA judge this coming time coming year as well, I've coached HS but am transitioning into AS coaching this season, and feel that is the better fit for me, but still want to be involved with HS, so figure judging will help do so!

Back