High School Getting Ready For Tryouts

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Even though I'm not in high school anymore, this is what I did every year!

1. Stretch, stretch, stretch, stretch, stretch! During the of season is the time to get into better shape than ever and one obvious way to do this is stretching. It'll help everything! Stretch 2 or 3 times a day if you can, holding each stretch for 30 seconds - 1 minute (I've heard anything over this range doesn't do anything).
2. Condition. With your free time leading up to try outs - run! Go to the gym if you can and lift weights. You'll not only notice yourself in the mirror toning up, but it'll improve your motions, jumps, stunting, and tumbling. A lot of high school programs have really great conditioning plans posted online, if anyone wants a link pm me!
3. Review old football cheers. You probably haven't done these in a while, so get back into the swing of things by reviewing them!
4. When clinics come around, make sure all forms/paperwork are completed and you know the correct time and date for everything you need to be at.
5. Smile and have fun :)

Good luck to everyone trying out for a HS squad! I miss those days :(

Here's what I did for tryouts...
-stretch! I know it's a given, but it really does help with jumps, kicks and of course, flexibility!
-get in all forms and papers in time.
-work on jumps and kicks.
-go to a tumbling class. If youve never tumbled before, it's a great time to start and will give you more skills to show at tryouts!
-study on motions, stunts, and tumbling.

Oops I totally left out work on jumps & tumbling! Do exercises that help with jumps & tumbling (varsity.com has some great jump conditioning routines) as well as practicing the skills! :)

besides what they already posted private lessons are wonderful too! they keep up your endurance especially if you go for an hour by yourself. &&you get to work on new skills! ohh &&motions are critical in HS cheer so be sure you're tight! Also when i first tried out for HS cheer i was smart, to be lazy... i learned the cheers &school song before the tryouts started from the upperclassmen so i already knew them before the other newbies! Good luck at tryouts! :)

Well I'm an All-Star cheerleader and my tryouts are in 3 weeks. This is what I do:

TRYOUT MODE = THE HEALTHIEST I'VE EVER BEEN:
I would start off with exercising (conditioning) and eating right.
This is just an example of how I used to eat and what I eat now to give you an idea :)

WHAT I USED TO EAT:
Breakfast: usually skip or just have a surgery sweet
Lunch: Sandwich (white bread) with a whole lot of PB&J spread and chips/cookies/candy etc.
Dinner: Ramen noodles
(I'd usually snack like every 30 minutes...my snacks were usually meals)
*Just by doing that, I've gained 10lbs)

WHAT I EAT NOW:
Breakfast: Whole-Wheat Bagel w. vegetable cream cheese with water or real fruit juice
Snack: Yogurt or a piece of fruit
Lunch: Whole grain pasta; chicken salad; whole wheat turkey sandwich; etc.
Snack: Yogurt or piece of fruit
Dinner: Lean fish/chicken (any protein) with a side of 1 vegetable and one whole grain :)
(Snack like every two hours to keep your metabolism going)
*This should help you be more energetic and healthier)

So, depending on you, how long do you want to exercise and for how many days per week? Well this is what I do:
Monday: Usually cheer practice (If no practice, tumbling class 1 hour, then I go home and focus on tumbling drills)
Tuesday: Since there's no practice for me, I focus on my jumps and my motions. (To get the intensity going, I would set a timer...First I would do any sort of jumps--toe touches, pikes, etc.--for a minute straight--no breaks--then I would have a 10 second break and I would do my motion drills non-stop for a minute..I would keep doing this 5 times)
Wednesday: I have practice..if I don't, then before my tumbling I would work on my jumps..ALOT for like 45 minutes..first on the trampoline for working on my form then on the cheer floor (no spring) and work on my jumps for height
Thursday: No practice, I work on flexibility for 30 minutes and I do lower body for 30 minutes
Friday: Usually open gym to work on my tumbling
Saturday: If no comp, then break.
Sunday: EVERYTHING!!!!!! I do a "Fitness- Fun Day, Sunday" lol that's what I call it. I would play tennis for an hour, then do a Wii Fit thing for 30 minutes, then Just dance on Wii, then i would do laps at the pool, then I would work on flexibility 30min, then jumps 30min, motions 30 min, core 20 min, upper body 15min, tumbling drills 15 min, jump drills, 15 min

That's what i did and it helped me A LOT!!!!! :)

From a coaches viewpoint...stretch, work on tumbling, sharp motions.

*****But Sometimes....a positive attitude can be your best quality. We have recently taken better attitudes over better skill.....and the impact on our team overall has been better than I could have hoped for.

Back