High School Getting Teams To Listen

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jan 2, 2012
Hi All,

I am looking for tips or advice on how to get high school kids to listen.

I dont mean listen.. I mean really get them to understand what I am saying and really hear me.

Before and after each practice we have a team chat where kids can express themselves and lay everything on the table. Then the coaches will talk to them and by that time I've got one kid off doing a cartwheel in the back of the huddle and a couple others rolling up mats.

They are listening with their ears but they are not actually grapsing and clinging onto what I am saying.
In NH we have to make top 8 at prelims in order to make it to states.

Lately, NH teams have really stepped it up and they are nervous they wont make it and so I tell them what they have to do but then they dont do it.

I give them proper grips and techniques but I think it is really a confidence thing for them.

I didnt know if anyone had any good advice to get them to listen and HEAR what I am saying and also to apply what I said to their team.
They have the skill but not the confidence.

Hanna

Are you sure THEY are nervous that they won't make it? My CP is on a high school team and the majority could care less about competing or doing anything besides be at games. Most don't want to learn new skills. CP has had a lot of trouble fitting in with the team and may not return next year because the culture likely won't change. Sometimes as a coach there isn't much you can do about the culture.

Its more during our team talks I would just like to know the exercises some coaches use to get them to listen and respect their coaches when I am talking - their body language states otherwise :)

I laugh b/c I get it. I have a few 11th graders who say the team "doesn't care" and I have about 3 seniors that I know "stopped caring".. but they are seniors... meanwhile, the threat of losing a practice day b/c of basketball, the even thought of missing practice, the fact they all work hard shows me they do care.. this team, no matter what I say or do, they aren't happy, so I just reinforce that we need to continue to perfect the skills we have and try to not digress and be sure what we do is solid. I understand where you are at with the team, but eventually, it will all make sense to them, unfortunately, it's not today.. Mine are exactly the same.

I try not to do a whole ton of talking (like having kids sit in team circles while we talk) because it takes up too much time.

They also are teenagers. They can't handle adults talking AT them about things for prolonged periods.

If we really need to sit and talk about something they're continually not understanding, it usually relates to a skill.

So, I try to SHOW them a video of what that thing is BEFORE we talk about it. Ex: Maybe it's full up stretches are not looking the best. I show them video of that and really talk about why that keeps happing. I also keep the talk time time a minimum (like 5-8 minutes.) Then they go straight from talking about it, to doing it.

Further, there is only so much talking you can do. You cannot make kids want to do well at a comp. You cannot TALK them into caring about it. Sometimes we have to step back and let our kids do things like not make it to state.

Stop trying to GET them to do anything... If there's one thing I've learned with teens: you simply can not force anything on them... However, there is one thing you CAN do ... Use your life experience and knowledge of everything they're missing out on. .. To your advantage. Many kids don't "care" b/c they don't know what it's like to care or be cared about. They have no idea what it means to really accomplish something that's a product of developing their skills. Id stop talking and start doing. All the talks in the world aren't going to inspire anyone if they don't SEE progress... If individuals aren't doing things correctly...its grounds for not doing things at all. If there's practices and policies you're trying to implement there needs to be some level of constructive fear of not doing what you as a coach expect from them or they will not take you, your praise, your criticism or curriculum seriously. Now this doesn't mean you need to become some militant cheer tyrant but ive personally come to realize a little bit of structure, a dash of proactive attitude and a whole lot of not giving up does wonders. With kids... You almost have to develop a "either you're on board to care" attitude or you're gone. I tell kids at tryouts all the time... If I end up with 5 kids that "care"... That's worth way more than 25!... And if I have to cut 75 at tryouts and end up with just a handful that are on the same page... So be it... You'll see the culture start to develop into a group of kids who have a heart for the sport rather than a want for the skirt. Also, remember... Change doesn't happen over night... Foundations are laid brick by brick for a sturdy home ! Good luck

I agree with the poster who said its more than likely a lack of motivation and not caring about doing well. I'm struggling with a group like that this year. It's wearing me out. Not all of them but enough to where it brings the entire team down. I've always had self motivators and hard workers. Even if they were having an off day I could quickly pep them up. Not this year! I'm totally cleaning house at tryouts for next year with the exception of about 5!

I agree with the poster who said its more than likely a lack of motivation and not caring about doing well. I'm struggling with a group like that this year. It's wearing me out. Not all of them but enough to where it brings the entire team down. I've always had self motivators and hard workers. Even if they were having an off day I could quickly pep them up. Not this year! I'm totally cleaning house at tryouts for next year with the exception of about 5!
Can you come be cp's coach? That is pretty much what her team needs as well.

In HS, I know a lot of times teams I was on would listen better if an outside person came to practice and told us what to fix, work on, encouragement etc. Kids get to used to what the coach says all the time when an outside perspective comes in, I think it helps to understand better because they are hearing possibly the same critiques from someone who doesn't work with them regularly.

Make them repeat it back to you. I do that all the time when I'm private coaching at a camp and I notice that some people are distracted when we group up and talk.

For example, if we have extensions in our cheer and they're struggling, I'll tell them to use their legs more or whatever the problem might be. Then when I'm done talking I'll have them take their places and ask them "what are we gonna fix this run through?" They should respond "our extensions." Then I ask them how they're gonna fix it and they should respond "by using our legs when we dip". Then I make then run through their cheer and since the last thing out of their mouths was "use our legs to dip" it should be fresh in their mind.

As for confidence, it's hard to give that to athletes. Sometimes it just takes a really great pep talk. Other times they just need a really good practice where they constantly hit their stuff. Maybe ask them what they need to make them feel more confident in the routine, more run throughs, just focusing in on a certain section, etc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
It may be that you're saying too much. Try to get really focused on the core concept, and give that to them. As others said, you can have them repeat it back, but try asking "what did you hear me say?" or "what am I asking you to do?" This way it's more about what they understand versus just repeating. Then, if it seems like they don't "get" it you can try to come up with a different approach. I know you said you think it's confidence, but from a learning perspective, also think about different learning styles and meeting those needs. You mentioned the before and after practice check-in and it sounds like this may be too much on a regular basis so if you want to keep it, I'd try to make it more brief, or do it less often. As for confidence, keep giving positive feedback (this will also help them continue doing what works) and create a culture of positive feedback from the cheerleaders as well. Remember that the strongest motivation is intrinsic (comes from within) so think about fostering that rather than just trying to motivate them to be in the top 8 (more extrinsic, but also it's coming from you, which is also an external source of motivation).

Sometimes as a coach there isn't much you can do about the culture.

I disagree with this statement 100%. As a coach you're completely responsible for the culture. Why are those kids allowed to be off doing cartwheels and rolling up mats? Figure out what motivates them to improve. Sometimes, even with high school kids, it can be something elementary. We were giving away little metallic stars over the summer (you know the kind you used to get on your chart at school to track your attendance). We got 20,000 of them for 75 cents (maybe an exaggeration), and our kids were after them like they were real gold.

More recently, I've created a challenge for them to reveal their roommates for nationals one room at a time. They not only turned up their game at practice, but practice has become almost completely athlete driven as they try to complete the task in order to earn the "big reveal" of knowing their NHSCC roomies.

Check out some of the material from Proactive Coaching. Those guys do great stuff.

Back