All-Star Going Full Out

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Oct 8, 2010
Hey Fierceboarders, I have a question. I am always very tired even before running tumbling, and it sometimes keeps me from performing my pass at it's best ability. What should I do so that I'm not so tired in the routine, so that I can throw and hit my tumbling? Also, why am I almost always immediately tired whenever I go backstage for warmups?

Sounds like you definitely need some aerobic conditioning work. Exercise bikes that have resistance for the arms are probably the best things, but they are pretty expensive. If you're on the cheap, simple running will help. However rather than run an even pace for a half mile, mile, etc; concentrate on full out sprinting in short bursts. Hills or stairs are also great for this. And do this repeatedly with short rests in between. This better simulates the on/off nature of cheer routines.

Try to work your way up to doing this for a full 2:30, and gradually work your way up to twice that.

As for being tired before warmups. Assuming its not something obvious like the downswing of a sugar rush, it's most likely just your nerves causing an adrenaline dump. That's unfortunately more of a psychological thing than a physical one to overcome.

Cardio, cardio, cardio.

One thing my gymnastics coach used to have us do was put on our music and hop on a stationary bike. We would pedal comfortably during the dance parts of the routine, doing all of the arm movements. When it came to a tumbling pass, we'd sprint pedal. This is one thing that could help. Also, go running with your music. Jog at the "down" parts and spring during your hardest parts (tumbling, pyramid, whatever is most exerting for you personally).

what everyone above me said is correct, condition!!!!!!
thats what you need and it will help you. i was a gymnast and we did cardio all the time and we did aerobic and we ran like 3 miles!

If you're willing to spend the money, an amazing set of DVDs for cardio is the Insanity program. It's about $140 (incl shipping), but the workouts are....well....insane.

You may be tired immediately at warmups because your nervous/anxious to compete, so u might subconciously feel that u need to save energy, but instead u should get blood flowing, i (personally) always run 2 laps then do jumping jacks then stretch, then push ups if needed and try to get my blood flowing so that my energy stays high.

As for conditioning urself, i firmly believe that all the conditioning won't help as much because, everything u do, u will wanna do better and therefore take more energy.

Example: Ur used to throwing ur routine, but as ur endurance and strength goes up, u put the effort to making all ur passes higher and tighter, and making the stunts hit harder and stay more sturdy, thus ur % of energy at the runnign tumbling is somewhat similar.

Solution for me and other ppl on my team: When im at practice, I ALWAYS throw tumbling and jumps, even when they ask for just a stunt run or coreo run, if i feel like ima die, i still do it. gets my body to do it easily, not only that, but most importantly, if its at practice, and u do several full runs, it will not only "condition" you, but u will learn the pacing of ur routine so u know when to breathe, and whens the best time to take it easy, to save energy.

That may of been long, but i hope it helps

Big question for you: Do you hold your breath in anything before you get to running tumbling? Do you hold your breath in the stunts? Jumps? Many athletes are breath holding and it causes your oxygen to become deficient. Then not only are you trying to replace what you've withheld, but you are continuing to ask your body to do more work.

If you are, learn to breath through these parts of the routine and see if it helps.

Like MissBee said, Insanity is worth it! We do it before every practice, and started in the summer. At first it was so hard and I could barely get through it and in the end I was all sweaty and gross. Now, I don't even sweat and I can get through it perfectly fine. It really helps!

Big question for you: Do you hold your breath in the stunts?
If you are, learn to breath through these parts of the routine and see if it helps.

oohhh I do this far too much. I think my body forgets that being tight does not mean stop all air to your lungs lol.

I also sing so loudly when I properly getting in to the routine that I run out of breath haha!

Big question for you: Do you hold your breath in anything before you get to running tumbling? Do you hold your breath in the stunts? Jumps? Many athletes are breath holding and it causes your oxygen to become deficient. Then not only are you trying to replace what you've withheld, but you are continuing to ask your body to do more work.

I do this. Had a comp over the weekend and almost passed out on the floor day 1. Day 2 I had to literally force myself to breathe. Have your teammates in stunts, before you tumble, etc yell "breathe!" so you will remember.

if your seriously tired and you feel like you cant throw your pass but you have to!
always focus on your technique, even if your drop dead tired, doing your tumbling the correct way (using whatever techniques ((preferably the right ones))) will really help you out during your pass!

Back