OT Good Ab Workouts?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Nov 28, 2010
I was wondering if any of y'all have good ab workouts to get a toned stomach for summer :) I have practice twice a week and we condition pretty hard for 30 minutes out of the 2 ad a half hours were there...and I wanted some ab workouts that I can do at home for the other days I don't have practice. Any tips?

I heard 8 minute abs is really good! I'm gonna start doing it. Just remember that you have to shed fat from your tummy area with cardio & healthy eating to see your abs! Unless your tummy is already flat lol :)

I'd try 8 minute abs! I used to do ab workouts with my friend who plays soccer and we would literally just do random ab workouts without stopping in between and it really helped! That's basically what 8 minute abs does :)

My mom has these 30 minute abs workouts so maybe I'll try the videos. But I was talking about planks and crunches and stuff that regular conditioning you would do in cheer practice.

I love doing butterfly crunches (not sure if that's what their called, but I call them that!) They are especially for targeting the ever so hard to get lower abs!
How to:
Basically sit in a butterfly-like stretch position then just lay back and do normal crunches! :) I usually do about 3-4 sets of 15.

Also I love doing toe touch sit ups! They help with jumps and work your abs! They are very similar to V-Ups. The only main difference is you do a toe touch and reach through the center when you come up..don't forget to point your toes! ;)

I am not a huge fan of the "standard crunch" or just one ab exercise in general...I typically use a ton of different ab excercises and then sophieann is right about the cardio & healthy eating! I am working extra hard for this summer too, hopefully it will pay off in the end!

I love doing butterfly crunches (not sure if that's what their called, but I call them that!) They are especially for targeting the ever so hard to get lower abs!
How to:
Basically sit in a butterfly-like stretch position then just lay back and do normal crunches! :) I usually do about 3-4 sets of 15.

Also I love doing toe touch sit ups! They help with jumps and work your abs! They are very similar to V-Ups. The only main difference is you do a toe touch and reach through the center when you come up..don't forget to point your toes! ;)

I am not a huge fan of the "standard crunch" or just one ab exercise in general...I typically use a ton of different ab excercises and then sophieann is right about the cardio & healthy eating! I am working extra hard for this summer too, hopefully it will pay off in the end!

Thanks for your help :)

This is one of my favorites so I'll try to explain it good!

Theres 5 positions
1. laying flat on your back
2. Butterfly position (someone said this one above)
3. Feet flat on ground, knees bent
4. Feet at 90 degree angle in the air
5. Legs straight up in the air

Then you go through and do crunches (I usually do 15 to 20 per position) continuously going through positions 1,2,3,4,5,5,4,3,2,1. So it would go like this:
Position 1: 15 crunches
Position 2: 15 crunches
Position 3: 15 crunches
Position 4: 15 crunches
Position 5: 30 crunches

I really like it because it works upper and lower abs and if you do it continuously you get a really nice burn going!! Perfect if your in a rush (only takes a few minutes)

This is one of my favorites so I'll try to explain it good!

Theres 5 positions
1. laying flat on your back
2. Butterfly position (someone said this one above)
3. Feet flat on ground, knees bent
4. Feet at 90 degree angle in the air
5. Legs straight up in the air

Then you go through and do crunches (I usually do 15 to 20 per position) continuously going through positions 1,2,3,4,5,5,4,3,2,1. So it would go like this:
Position 5: 30 crunches

I really like it because it works upper and lower abs and if you do it continuously you get a really nice burn going!! Perfect if your in a rush (only takes a few minutes)

This was EXACTLY what I was looking for! Thank you sosososo much :D

just staying in a correct plank/prone position for like 3 minutes actually squeezing your butt and belly button in really helps. It really tightens your core and ab muscles. But remember you can have the worlds strongest abs, you still need that cardio to show it off :)

i dont tend to follow these 'already made up' routines as i feel that each person has a different regime specific to them.

A few key exercises for you however:

Plank - hold for 1 min, rest for 10 seconds - repeat 10 times
Walk Plank (hold plank position and slightly walk out each foot one at a time) - upto five, 3 minute sets
Dish (even though it is a back exercise it works lower abdominals too - same as above
Crunches - do as many as you can in sets of 10/20
Side Crunches (lie on side and lift body off the ground in Crunch technique) same as aboves
Bicycle - (Sit in upper tensed crunch positiion and lift each leg up one after the other) Samessss as above
Bridge Leg Lifts (hold bridge and slowly lift each leg alternativly off the ground makign sure it is straight, perfect exersise and also stretches back :D)

If you have any questions about these, or want any other stretching/work out help inbox me :D

REMEMBER to warm up before these exercises :D

hope this helps x

I make my daughter do this:

100 sit-ups when she wakes up (even school mornings)
100 sit-ups when she gets home
100 sit-ups before she goes to bed

Helped her get lots of tumbling! Plus gives you some abbs and a flat stomach!

Back