Good/bad Tumbling Days

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Dec 11, 2011
We all have good tumbling days and bad tumbling days, but what factors play into having a good day or a bad day? This could include nutrition, sleep, etcetera, but what do you guys do/suggest for better performance at practice? Thanks!

I hate bad tumbling days. I always felt like I was trying to tumble on a trampoline that someone double bounced and its pushing against me instead of with me.

Not taking a nap after school/before practice helped me. I call it "sleep sick", and it usually happens when Ive been napping too long in the middle of the day or in the sun, and I wake up and just feel slow and groggy and overheated and sick.

When your feeling like your having an off day, take some extra time in your warm-up. Making sure your fully warmed up will loosen up stiff and sore muscles, wake up your nervous system so you don't make silly errors, and will make you feel a lot better in the process =)

I don't want to start an entirely new thread, but how do some of you tumble as well as normal when you are cold? Coach has us jog before we tumble on cold days to warm up, but my shins, ankles, wrists and shoulders never seem to warm up as well as I'm comfortable with until after we warm up our stunts. No matter how many times I tumble to warm myself up, my shins especially are always cold and I feel heavy and it hurts my joints. We don't always warm up stunts first, so do you have any advice for warming up your joints and and such? If not, do you have any techniques for pushing through it? My running tumbling technique is usually fine but standing tumbling kills me.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

Haha you think it's hard to get warmed up to tumble now? Talk to me in 10 years! Haha

But in all seriousness, the kind of warmup your looking is called a dynamic warmup. A dynamic warmup consists of more sport specific exercises that better prepares your joints for the movements you will do while tumbling.

Here is an example of a warmup you could do:

Start at beginning of the far panel of the floor. Each panel will have a exercise. Follow a zigzag pattern down each panel preforming the exercise. Repeat the whole series 3 to 5 times.

1. Run with knees up
2. Jog backward
3. Step, bring opposite knee to chest and hold
4. Rebound with 2 feet
5. Hop on 1 foot (alternate which foot)
6. Squat jump
7. lunge kick
8. Bear crawl
9. crab walk

These are just a few examples of exercises you can do. There are tons of them! I tried to give a broad example that would warm up most body parts in a simple way. More advanced exercises could include rotation at the trunk, and unilateral movements to warm you up even more.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fierce Board mobile app

Here are a bunch more exercises. This is a list I started building for myself and a few other coaches a few weeks back, so the phrasing is sometimes abbreviated, or in shorthand. Just ask if you need anything clarified. If anyone else can think of more, feel free to comment. I would love to add them to the list!

Dynamic Warm-Up Exercises
  • Rebounds - Fwd, Bwd, Single leg, sideways

• Jumps - Long jump, straight jump, tuck jump, split jump, squat jump, straddle jump

• Leg Kicks - To front, to back, to side, with trunk rotation, with resistance band

• High knee run, butt kick run, on toes, forward and backward

• Chasse/Slide - Both sides leading, Galloping,

• Step + knee to chest + glute stretch

• Inchworm - walking, popping, pushup in between, rotate to side plank

• Lunges - Forward, Backward, Sideways, with kick, with trunk rotation, with lateral flexion, back leg straight, back leg flexed at 90 degrees, jumping lunges (advanced plyometrics)

• Calf Raises - single leg, toes in, toes out, heels off elevated surface

• Leap - to arabesk, switch leap, bounding leaps, leap to single leg balance

• Deer run

• Pike walk

• Bear crawl

• Monkey crawl

• Sumo jump

• Cheetah run

• Power Skips

• Needle scales

• Leg kick backs - from pike, from squat

• Sit + straight armed push away