All-Star Good Colleges To Consider For Non-world’s Super Senior

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Apr 28, 2017
CP has realized she will have 2 seasons of super senior eligibility when she graduates. She would likely be looking for a mid-level team (senior 3, 4.2, maybe 4) at best (working level 2 skills now, as a rising sophomore), and doesn’t expect to make a college competitive team. So, as we start the college hunt, are there any schools we look at that would be good to super senior at? She is particularly interested in wildlife biology, and would love to be somewhere near a beach or in the mountains. She probably won’t have a car, so somewhere that would have multiple kids carpooling to the gym or would be easy to get to in other ways (public transit, Uber, etc) would be a big plus.

I'd just say take college into consideration before cheer and that is just an added bonus. The main point of going to college is to get your degree and not for cheerleading. I thought I'd be cheering for my entire college career but its now looking likely I'll be going into retirement and switching back to swimming after nearly half a decade away. Life can take unexpected turns so I'd maybe just try a bunch of colleges that you think she'd be interested in and are good for her course and take it from there as the one you could never have expected you'd fall in love with could end up becoming your future home. All the best in the college hunt!

Total agree with @TealArmySparkle . Pick your college choices on major, cost to attend, how you felt when you toured, etc. Once you narrow it down to a few top choices you can look to see what cheer programs are within a reasonable commuting distance, but that should be a very low priority on the list because so much can change with cheer!

CP has realized she will have 2 seasons of super senior eligibility when she graduates. She would likely be looking for a mid-level team (senior 3, 4.2, maybe 4) at best (working level 2 skills now, as a rising sophomore), and doesn’t expect to make a college competitive team. So, as we start the college hunt, are there any schools we look at that would be good to super senior at? She is particularly interested in wildlife biology, and would love to be somewhere near a beach or in the mountains. She probably won’t have a car, so somewhere that would have multiple kids carpooling to the gym or would be easy to get to in other ways (public transit, Uber, etc) would be a big plus.
In addition to what everyone above has said, she may be ready to be finished with cheer once she graduates HS, which is a long way from now as it is. She may not want to be on a senior team with 11 years olds when she is in college. Choose college based on where she wants to go for all the right reasons, don’t base anything on super senioring.

Agree with all of the above. I had my heart set on super senioring, but once I got to college, I ended up deciding it just wasn't for me.

Something to consider - different schools have different requirements for competitive cheerleading teams. My school had several level 0-2 tumblers on our team who made mat because of their basing/flying skills. If she can contribute in other ways, tumbling may not be an issue. Smaller UCA-style and NCA Intermediate programs typically have more lax tumbling requirements.

I think its probably too soon to be thinking about this is she is only finishing her freshman year she will probably change her mind on pretty much anything she "knows" she will be doing. I know all of my friends and I did and so did my sister. At 13 she wanted to play D1 soccer, at 17 she is rowing varsity crew and considering a club team if the college she already wants offers one. Same with me, HS freshman wanted to cheer for Stanford( dream school), ended up getting injured in a car accident start of sophomore year and that among a few other factors led me to not try out for a third year. Did one year of college cheer at a school that doesn't compete and realized that there were others things I wanted more now.

College first any sports considerations second. If she was soccer or volleyball and good enough for the college level than yeah factor in if she might get on a team because there is scholarship money in that but cheer doesn't have the same benefits. Plus, you never know if she will get sick of cheer or injured during the next three years. Or she could even get to college wanting to cheer and realize that all star is too big a time commitment. Its a lot more work the HS. And three years is a very long time especially at this age.

Back