All-Star Goodbye Stunt Bobbles?!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Not sure if this is the right forum for this but... what the heck? Thoughts? How did this happen?

https://twitter.com/cheerUPDATES/status/618588928715657216

no bobble deductions for EPIC Brands, Varsity AllStar, Jam Bransds, and Jamz Cheer - check the link make sure I'm not blind :eek:
I am guessing the rule change was due to trying to determine what is a bobble (I recall seeing several arguements during the season for certain performances where as a fall is less of a gray area) and that any type of bobble will come off the execution score.

"You are only responsible for being honest, not for someone else's reaction to your honesty."

I am guessing the rule change was due to trying to determine what is a bobble (I recall seeing several arguements during the season for certain performances where as a fall is less of a gray area) and that any type of bobble will come off the execution score.

"You are only responsible for being honest, not for someone else's reaction to your honesty."

execution can sometimes be a bit more gray than what is/isn't a bobble don't ya think? I'm no judge but this should be interesting. Looks like this rule is for stunt/athlete bobbles which can often be obvious... I'm confused :cheering:

Not sure if this is the right forum for this but... what the heck? Thoughts? How did this happen?

https://twitter.com/cheerUPDATES/status/618588928715657216

no bobble deductions for EPIC Brands, Varsity AllStar, Jam Bransds, and Jamz Cheer - check the link make sure I'm not blind :eek:

Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

This is the opposite of what I wanted to see happen with scoring. I wanted rules to become stricter and deductions heavier to force teams to hit and perform a clean routine.

cc6e6d3c4da5e500f92a0bbe6e634f0b.jpg

ea39a149def4001c0d144ffd51d1017c.jpg

Not sure how I feel about this[emoji57] what about technique score would that be affected?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bobbles will be taken out of technique, so it seems it's up to the panel judge to decide how much you lose.

Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

This is the opposite of what I wanted to see happen with scoring. I wanted rules to become stricter and deductions heavier to force teams to hit and perform a clean routine.
If you think about it, a lowered execution score (which is most likely what will happen if a "bobble" occurs) is basically the same thing. Only difference is that it's not indicated as a "deduction". Instead of a solid 0.25 or 0.5 deduction for minor/major bobble, the judges could lower execution by 0.35 or whatever which allows a greater range than two set deduction values depending on how "severe" the bobble is.

If you think about it, a lowered execution score (which is most likely what will happen if a "bobble" occurs) is basically the same thing. Only difference is that it's not indicated as a "deduction". Instead of a solid 0.25 or 0.5 deduction for minor/major bobble, the judges could lower execution by 0.35 or whatever which allows a greater range than two set deduction values depending on how "severe" the bobble is.
Exactly. Gymnastics is set up the same way. A fall is a specific deduction but balance breaks are deducted from execution and can range in amount depending on how severe the balance check is. I feel it actually gives more ability for the judges to score a bobble correctly (assuming this is how the scoring will work but it wasn't specified).

Bobbles will be taken out of technique, so it seems it's up to the panel judge to decide how much you lose.
I'm confused. So they will be counted ("bobbles, balance checks and controlled timing errors") but it's arbitrary and up to each judge? Huge step in the wrong direction if that is the case. Talk about taking away transparency in scoring.

You know what, this is where my naiveté is going to rear its head; I was thinking that stunt bobbles will and should come off on the scoresheet for overall performance, however, I am not certain if this is done like this already...

Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Seriously! Don't get me wrong I have loved watching cheerleading evolve (thinking about that 6th grade level 3 routine) compared to what that would look like now, haha. I just think technique, sharp/tight motions are being lost and when a team looks like one person instead of 30 that's when you know it is good. Yes I do think a bobble deduction is necessary for a double up that crosses over an entire panel! If you can't stay in one place take it down a notch etc. The emphasis on difficulty is important but going in the wrong direction... #RANTOVER

Is the score out of 100 on this score sheet? My main thought it is that the deductions seem very insignificant if so.

I get that it can come off of execution scores but execution scores are already so subjective and to add this to it as well just frustrates me. I really can't see this hurting teams as much as I hope it will.

I feel like this will create a mindset for "amateur" coaches to say "oh, there aren't deductions for bobbles anymore, let's put anything on the floor. An attempt at a higher skill will score better than a beautifully executed skill at a lower level." And then it will give coaches even more ground to fight for higher scores.

I don't think good execution is rewarded enough and I think bad execution is scored too high. This is only going to make the scoresheet a more subjective. Rather than taking away the deduction because judges and coaches can't agree upon what constitutes as a bobble, why can't they produce a clear outline of what will qualify as a deduction? (Ex: for a bobble to be counted, bases have to take x amount of steps, flyers need to drop their body position, flyers need to break body alignment, etc.)

To me, taking the bobble deductions away is not a solution to the problem. This sounds like a half-a$$ed attempt to make the problem go away because no one wanted to deal with the actual problem which is just typical "cheer industry" BS. :mad:

I don't like the arbitrary nature of scoring bobbles that this opens up. If there are doing it this way, there needs to be consistent training of judges as to what type of bobble constitutes a certain deduction amount.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back