All-Star Got A Phone Call From Disney Regarding Worlds

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

SheCheers

Cheer Parent
Mar 6, 2011
In a couple of threads I attempted to encourage you all disappointed in the worlds fiasco, to contact Disney, if you didn't feel USASF was listening. I contacted them myself as a parent concerned about possibly going as a spectator next year. I didn't want to spend all that money and not have a seat and I didn't want to go and fear being trampled when the doors open, etc.

I want to preface this by saying, don't shoot the messenger, i'm only telling you what she told me ;)

So, a Ms. Wainwright (sp) just called me, who is the Disney employee most "in charge" of the Worlds event with USASF. Based on what she said, I feel like she was fairly knowledgable about how it ran this year and what they tried that went wrong. I took some notes and I'll try to bullet point what she said:

1) Disney provides the venue, but USASF is in charge of how it's run. They did try to change things this current year, but realize that it didn't work. She was aware that there are some more popular divisions and that they need to space them out.

2) she really appreciated my feedback and ALL feedback (i.e., it doesn't hurt to contact them ever with your concerns).

3) They are already discussing some possibilities for next year some being:
a) a possible additional venue
b) a potential repositioning of Fieldhouse things to increase flow of traffic and open up additional seating
c) A possible live feed on the inflatable jumbotron in the baseball field that can seat an additional 5000 people.
d) Tiered pricing, so you pay less to sit to watch the live feed. It would be staged to enhance the atmosphere to make it feel more "exciting" (my interpretation of her words not her exact words).

4) she kept saying how much she appreciated and valued my input and that so does the USASF. I told her that the general consensus is that the USASF is either not listening or doesn't care and she said she would definitely be talking to them about that.

I think if you have any questions about this (contractual obligations, increase in venue, etc) it would be easier to get them answered from Disney than USASF.

Tiered pricing? Lol - so you're reserving a seat and you'll sit there all day? That won't help flow between buildings at all.

Tiered pricing? Lol - so you're reserving a seat and you'll sit there all day? That won't help flow between buildings at all.

No, so you pay $20 for a ticket that just gets you onto the baseball field, versus $50 a ticket that lets you also get into the Milkhouse. For example, numbers made up.

One of the things that I think they keep missing is not just seeing the competition, but experiencing it live. The energy in the Milkhouse is simply electric and is amped up several notches beyond sheer pandemonium when the showcase programs compete. You don't get that same feeling watching it on a jumbrotron or at home on live feed. Only by being in the building and witnessing it first hand. This is another reason why I believe that the experience of the trip is worth it for cheerleaders who may not have a chance in many's opinion, but also don't get it from listening to their coaches or watching teams on You Tube. Experience it just once and you want to go back, whether to compete and have everyone chanting your team's name and cheer or just to watch.

One of the things that I think they keep missing is not just seeing the competition, but experiencing it live. The energy in the Milkhouse is simply electric and is amped up several notches beyond sheer pandemonium when the showcase programs compete. You don't get that same feeling watching it on a jumbrotron or at home on live feed. Only by being in the building and witnessing it first hand. This is another reason why I believe that the experience of the trip is worth it for cheerleaders who may not have a chance in many's opinion, but also don't get it from listening to their coaches or watching teams on You Tube. Experience it just once and you want to go back, whether to compete and have everyone chanting your team's name and cheer or just to watch.
Exactly, My CP is not Worlds eligible yet. We went last year as a spectator and of course returned this year (its become a ritual). The Worlds experience is most achieved while sitting in the arenas. Its like going to church and catching the spirit, lol. I just think that the only thing thats going to fix the overcrowding is another bigger venue.

I mentioned something about the baseball field in a separate thread. I think if it is done RIGHT it could be cool. If they do a blowup jumbo tron, yes you could stay at home, but you could also go to Worlds. I am 100% aware that being INSIDE to watch your "favorite team" is the best of the best experiences, but if they space out divisions and provide a "cool place" to watch, hang out and follow the competition (if done right) could be an option. So much of the "World's experience" is mingling with fellow athletes and friends that come together in one place. Yes, yes, yes, I'd prefer it be a One-stop-shop, but the baseball field could be decorated nicely and could be used well. A stage would be nice, with cool announcements or even a "mini concert" feel.

I agree that i would rather save my hundreds of dollars in travel expenses, and just watch live feed from the comfort of my home. Nobody wants to pay to go to a concert without getting to watch the artists, you go for that live upclose and personal feel! I still say they just need a bigger venue! PERIOD. :)

The only realistic option is to find another venue! Sr large was 1st thing in the morning and by approximately 8:15 the venue was already at capacity and shut down!

Another option may be to have 2 different high demand division in both places competing simultaneously that way ppl will have to chose which division they really want to see! It will suck to miss out on some of your favorite teams, but you can't be in 2 places at one time!

As far as tiering the price...i'm all for it as long as the tickets don't go up beyond $25. Ppl already pay enough to be there! However, watching on a jumbotron is not the same as being in the arena! Ppl don't come to Worlds to watch it live stream!

Finding another venue would be great - but how about selling tickets for specific divisions?

Don't they do something like this with the Olympics? Like, you don't get a ticket for ALL of the gymnastics stuff, you get a ticket for one day, or finals or whatever.

I am sorry I watched at the baseball field and the screen is too small and too far away. Really tiered pricing will not alleviate the problem. I for one am not going to travel 3000 miles and sit in a hot baseball field when my daughter's team is performing or the rest of her division. I think a lot of parents feel that way and unfortunatly this could double the cost for a spectator for all 3 days. Who will have priority in buying tickets - so a team that has bid in say December will have priority over someone in February - if they are even available to purchase.

Don't even start on the tent deal. I can only imagine how hot that will be if not properly ventilated.

Until they can change venues they have to find a way to make what they have work. If they get out of their contract that is going to cost the USASF money. From what I have understood a lot of what is made at worlds is used to pay back the loan that was given to start the USASF so where would the money come from that it cost to break a contract? Some have said that you can break a contract if the venue isn't doing its job, but they are doing its job because they can't control how many spectators show up other than not continuing to sell tickets. I don't think Disney is going to just allow the USASF to break the contract, and I definitely don't think it will happen for 2013 worlds.

I am 100% for a new venue, but until then ideas have to be thrown around as to how to use the space they have. The fact that dates are already set until 2015 I have a feeling the contract doesn't run out until then. I hope that when the USASF makes their annoucement that it has some good solutions in it. Maybe they will prove me wrong and have a new venue, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

I think the tiered pricing could work, but I don't think it is a good enough solution for the time being. Add that in with proper scheduling then maybe, but that is pushing it.

Back