All-Star Grammar Thread - Have At It

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Opps, I bragged when I made the top shimmy list for my first time. I thought I misspelled shimmy's v shimmies! My grammar is weak, but I am able to laugh about my mistakes. :)

"Of" instead of "have." When I see "could of" I want to scream. That is hands down the one that gets me most, especially because even some of my most intelligent friends do it! I don't understand.

It drives me nuts when I see "I would of but..." or "I should of..."
I would HAVE
I could HAVE
I should HAVE

Also, the act of demonstrating something for an audience is PERFORM not preform. The amount of times I've seen people spell it "preform" on here is unbelievable.

Great minds think alike.:p This is absolutely the most annoying thing in the world to me. I don't know how highly educated, intelligent adults don't know this - especially since I can't imagine they haven't seen it pointed out in at least 57 memes a week!

Dear everyone: If you use "could of" "should of" or "would of" ever, STOP. Just stop it. It's not a thing. It doesn't even make sense, let alone the fact that it's not correct grammar!

Great minds think alike.:p This is absolutely the most annoying thing in the world to me. I don't know how highly educated, intelligent adults don't know this - especially since I can't imagine they haven't seen it pointed out in at least 57 memes a week!

Dear everyone: If you use "could of" "should of" or "would of" ever, STOP. Just stop it. It's not a thing. It doesn't even make sense, let alone the fact that it's not correct grammar!
I know when I say it, it may sound like "could of," just because I speak quickly. However, I absolutely use HAVE when I write.

It drives me nuts when I see "I would of but..." or "I should of..."
I would HAVE
I could HAVE
I should HAVE

Also, the act of demonstrating something for an audience is PERFORM not preform. The amount of times I've seen people spell it "preform" on here is unbelievable.

I have a feeling I break this rule more often than I'm aware of - even though I know it's "have" and not "of". I catch myself doing it a lot and I'll correct it but I know sometimes one will slip through. I write/type almost exactly how I talk (my teachers hated it when I had to write essays.... ) and I say "could of" when I talk so I blame that but I try to be mindful of what I type. It's also why I start sentences with "And" a lot and I have run on sentences in my posts. I'm working on it though! :p

Back