All-Star Grammar Thread - Have At It

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Probably vs. problably.
I know adults that spell it probly and are confident that's the correct way to spell it. I've also seen prolly (why did auto correct not try to change that?) used in the Facebook statuses of my more colorful "friends". Of course, I'm from the most country town in the world; Senior class VP said "We wasn't" on a post to our class Facebook page. It physically hurt me to read. SHE'S A SENIOR IN HIGH SCHOOL.

Confession time.

My senior year in high school, I lost 12 points on a science project that I did. One point off for each time I misspelled a word. When I saw the paper I became so self righteous, and stormed up to the teacher and told her that she must be incorrect and that I was right.

That is when I found out that "idea" was not spelled "idear". I was in complete shock!

Science teacher 1 -- Boston accent -12
Just to rub salt into your wound- "spelt" not "spelled"...Yes, you can slap me if I ever go to America ;)

University: where you get a bachelors/masters/phd etc degree.
College: mostly trades, mechanic/carpentry/plumbing and things like aesthetics and cosmetology. Colleges also have a lot of high school classes for getting upgrades.

Colleges can also grant degrees. They also offer nursing, accounting, social work, etc.
The main difference between college and university in Canada is the way information is taught and the cooperative education portion of the programs.

"Can I have that?" well I don't know, can you?

You should say "May I have that?"

Also- not quite grammar, but I was getting ready this morning when I overheard my roommate say, "Matte is definitely pronounced 'mat-tay'. You have to pronounce the E, it's in the word." ...we're in college. :facepalm:
omg no. my boyfriend does that to me all the time and its drives me crazy.. "can you pass my the salt?" "i don't know can i?" i started taking out the question to avoid it.. "pass the salt please".. it reminds me of the annoying teachers that thought they were funny.. "can i go to the bathroom?" "I'm not sure, can you?" :mad:

Back