Gym Splitting

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

gymmomla

Cheer Parent
Jul 20, 2014
Hi all ,

Well the gym my son goes too is splitting up .. The coach is going out on his own . Majority of the parents are gonna follow the coach ... I'm on the fence about it . I really like this coach ,. But we are already financially invested in the gym already . Also, they brought in a new coach & he's really good too . I don't know what to do , I plan on sticking with the old gym for now ( the other won't open till maybe October ) but After October I don't know what we will do . I hAte drama lol ..

ugh sorry to hear. That is hard no matter what decision you make, but I think you are smart to stay put for now, especially if you have already made payments other than tuition to your current gym. There are two sides to every story, but unless there are extreme circumstances I would be side-eyeing a coach who would leave during the season to open their own gym. Not to mention that October is cutting it close for having choreography, music, uniforms etc all be ready by competition season. If things are ok where you are, it will be good to wish the coach well and see how things go for his program this year before making any moves. Hopefully your current gym will be able to continue with little impact.
I would, however, not make any further lump sum payments to current gym unless you are confident they can keep enough kids to survive. Good luck!

Hi all ,

Well the gym my son goes too is splitting up .. The coach is going out on his own . Majority of the parents are gonna follow the coach ... I'm on the fence about it . I really like this coach ,. But we are already financially invested in the gym already . Also, they brought in a new coach & he's really good too . I don't know what to do , I plan on sticking with the old gym for now ( the other won't open till maybe October ) but After October I don't know what we will do . I hAte drama lol ..
I hate to the be the naysayer, but as soon as I read this topic I immediately said to myself, if you are happy with the old gym stay. What is wrong with waiting a year and then decide whether you should leave. The likelihood that the other gym will be fully functioning for this competition season is almost zilch, unless the new gym put together half-year teams.

I think, after this year you are not happy with the old gym and you want to move then do it... I would hate to be out in the cold on both fronts because I think the "grass on the other side is greener." Just saying!

Yea that's exactly what I was thinking . A lot of parents have already just quit.. I think they are jumping the gun .. Who knows what's going to happen . I don't want to burn bridges with the old gym . We like it there too .

Don't jump the gun just yet. Stay for the year and then decide if they look like the better option. But always keep this in mind too, a gym that's been in business for 5+ years is usually a better bet than the new gym with a brand new owner. (Usually not always). Most new gyms fizzle out within 3-5 years if not sooner.

Wait. There is no rush at all. See how things pan out first before jumping ship.

I also say to wait because there are many coaches that open a gym because they want to be in charge, have the final say in routines, choreography, etc but have absolutely no clue about running a gym from the business end...they crave freedom but don't know how to pay for it. These type of gyms always struggle even while they are blowing up the internet with how "successful" (which is subjective) they are.

Stay. Stay. Stay. We were in the same situation 4 seasons ago. The gym we had just left our first gym for split after our first season there. Almost all of cp's new teammates quit to follow one of the coaches after a drama mama riled them all up, so we left too. For us it wound up being such a waste of a year. Turned out the coach couldn't even open a new gym within 50 miles of the gym he left because of a non-compete clause he had signed, so he bailed and took a job at a big name gym down south, leaving about 35 kids floundering with 2 inexperienced coaches who tried to help salvage the season by renting space at a gymnastics gym. Definitely wait out the season before you make a decision, especially if there's a good coach you like at your current gym.

Well ... I was told on thurs that the old gym owner had packed up his equipment and left. Today I drove by and all signs of the gym are gone . Today I get an email saying they are closing the place. I guess the decision has been made for us .

Well ... I was told on thurs that the old gym owner had packed up his equipment and left. Today I drove by and all signs of the gym are gone . Today I get an email saying they are closing the place. I guess the decision has been made for us .

Do they owe you any money?

Well I just paid the yearly registration fee .. I didn't pay for September because I heard what had happened .. Thank goodness . My friend paid for a uniform she never got .. Also the year registration plus some paid for aug /sept already . This is crazy .

Well I just paid the yearly registration fee .. I didn't pay for September because I heard what had happened .. Thank goodness . My friend paid for a uniform she never got .. Also the year registration plus some paid for aug /sept already . This is crazy .
I'm so sorry it turned out that way. Hope there is some way to track the coach down and get that registration fee back (I know, not going to happen). How many people were talking about staying only to find this out?

Well I know my son , my 2 friends and there's more . Plus they were still registering kids .. I mean it's really crazy .

Wow!! So sorry I guess the coach knew what was up.

I'm sorry. That's awful what happened. I hope everything works out for you and your son.

I think you should go where ever your child feels more comfortable. Also, where ever you feel the coach gives better instruction to your son and understands him better.!

As for avoiding drama, keep your thoughts about the splitting to the moms, limited. You never know what a parent is going to go back and tell a coach. So never feel like you have to explain why you want to switch gyms. Do what's best for you and your son.

Back