All-Star Gym Switching - Advice And Opinions

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Oct 26, 2014
I know this is pretty much the most tabooed subject in the cheer world but I was just curious about people's opinions on gym switching (this is due to a video I watched on the internet of a cheer vlogger stating they had switched gyms).

Personally it just depends on circumstances for me. Acceptable reasons to me for switching gyms is that you are unhappy at your current gym, you have out grown the skill level and are kept on team with lower level abilities and there isn't a higher level team for you to progress to, international athletes who are clearly very talented getting to experience cheer at the highest and most competitive level (although I'm iffy on the chasing a worlds ring thing), if you are actually moving out of the area (i.e. to a different state) or you are moving on to college and want to continue cheering but your college is too far away from your old gym.

I don't agree with gyms recruiting people, moving to chase a worlds ring when you were already on a brilliant team, moving to a gym to increase "cheerlebrity" status, because it is a named gym and you are moving purely for the rep, because you like the uniforms, shallow kinds of reasons like that.

I also think gym switching should be done during off season and not half way through a season as it is just inconsiderate to your gym and team. However if you are moving state or out of the area during the season purely because it is a move and cannot be prevented then that isn't so bad.

I think there are a lot of reasons to leave a gym and a lot of reasons to stay. In our case, we have moved from CP's original gym to a half year team because we moved out of the area and it was too late into the season to put her into full year. She then tried out for that gym and took issue with her placement. She could have stayed and been miserable, but she decided she would have rather not cheered than been stuck on a Tiny team for another year. We then moved gyms and so far, it's been the best decision we could have made. Ask me again mid-season and end of the season, but regardless of why someone leaves, I think it's very individual and personal so I try not to judge it.

I also think gym switching should be done during off season and not half way through a season as it is just inconsiderate to your gym and team. However if you are moving state or out of the area during the season purely because it is a move and cannot be prevented then that isn't so bad.
I used to be the same way as you. In my head, there were acceptable reasons for leaving a gym, and unacceptable ones. And always finish what you started even if you are unhappy. Leave for any reasons other than the ones I deemed acceptable? Sure I would judge you. But now, 11 years later? No way.

You really cannot cannot judge someone's choice to leave a gym unless you know the entire story. And even then, what might not makes sense to you makes sense to that athlete and their family. It is very simple to make a blanket statement on what are acceptable reasons for leaving a gym and what are not, but until you are the one having to make those decisions, try not to judge. Worry about yourself.

As a parent, my loyalty is to my child and family over her gym and team. If the current situation was unbearable - whether it be for safety reasons, emotional reasons, whatever - why would I force her to stay there out of consideration for the gym and team? Cheer is something that is supposed to be emotionally and physically rewarding (not to mention the time and expense), and sometimes when it stops being that, hard decisions need to be made.

I used to be the same way as you. In my head, there were acceptable reasons for leaving a gym, and unacceptable ones. And always finish what you started even if you are unhappy. Leave for any reasons other than the ones I deemed acceptable? Sure I would judge you. But now, 11 years later? No way.

You really cannot cannot judge someone's choice to leave a gym unless you know the entire story. And even then, what might not makes sense to you makes sense to that athlete and their family. It is very simple to make a blanket statement on what are acceptable reasons for leaving a gym and what are not, but until you are the one having to make those decisions, try not to judge. Worry about yourself.

As a parent, my loyalty is to my child and family over her gym and team. If the current situation was unbearable - whether it be for safety reasons, emotional reasons, whatever - why would I force her to stay there out of consideration for the gym and team? Cheer is something that is supposed to be emotionally and physically rewarding (not to mention the time and expense), and sometimes when it stops being that, hard decisions need to be made.

I agree with you but the problem in the uk is that cheer is much smaller and every program talks so if you leave but want to go to another program even if you quit mid season then so to next season tryouts you may not be able to gain a spot on another team

It is one of the reasons I didn't leave was I was worried about what would happen at the next gym and I decided to put my own thoughts aside to do nationals which I am glad I did because now the end is insight I am much happier and I am also doing another activity as well which means not all my focus is on cheer

Also I think the poster is from scotland and from what I have heard it can be quite catty as very small world

I agree with you but the problem in the uk is that cheer is much smaller and every program talks so if you leave but want to go to another program even if you quit mid season then so to next season tryouts you may not be able to gain a spot on another team

It is one of the reasons I didn't leave was I was worried about what would happen at the next gym and I decided to put my own thoughts aside to do nationals which I am glad I did because now the end is insight I am much happier and I am also doing another activity as well which means not all my focus is on cheer

Also I think the poster is from scotland and from what I have heard it can be quite catty as very small world
So basically in the UK it's the gym owners versus the athletes? If a program is doing wrong by an athlete, then what they say to another gym should not matter for future seasons.

Trust me, cheer world where we live is small as well but owners have no difficulty accepting an athlete mid season if there is a spot for them.

You are closer to if not adult age I believe so I do appreciate your perspective on things. I also believe that with age and experience comes wisdom, so you were able to make the choice that was right for you and that was staying with your gym through the season despite your unhappiness.

So basically in the UK it's the gym owners versus the athletes? If a program is doing wrong by an athlete, then what they say to another gym should not matter for future seasons.

Trust me, cheer world where we live is small as well but owners have no difficulty accepting an athlete mid season if there is a spot for them.

You are closer to if not adult age I believe so I do appreciate your perspective on things. I also believe that with age and experience comes wisdom, so you were able to make the choice that was right for you and that was staying with your gym through the season despite your unhappiness.

Not really but say someone leaves without warning mid season without explanation would you like that kid on your team because they might do it again? Most coaches are great but rumors can get around most ignore them. The best policy is be honest with the next program and explain why you left most are fine with that. I am 21 only done it 2 seasons but I have quite a bit of insight to it.

I am either going to another gym that does dance aswell as cheer or just ballroom and latin because I need a new challenge

Not really but say someone leaves without warning mid season without explanation would you like that kid on your team because they might do it again? Most coaches are great but rumors can get around most ignore them. The best policy is be honest with the next program and explain why you left most are fine with that. I am 21 only done it 2 seasons but I have quite a bit of insight to it.

I am either going to another gym that does dance aswell as cheer or just ballroom and latin because I need a new challenge

I don't think anyone is saying to just leave without giving a reason; but the reason, if you leave mid-season, doesn't need to make sense to anyone but that athlete and their family.

I don't think anyone is saying to just leave without giving a reason; but the reason, if you leave mid-season, doesn't need to make sense to anyone but that athlete and their family.

I get what you are saying but since someone had just dropped out 4 weeks before nationals not really giving a reason apart from she thought the gym was over charging for hotel and coach fees when the hotel fee included coach drivers hotel split across 30 people. I get leaving mid season but I wish it wasnt like a week before a comp or atleast give time so we can rearrange the routine

I get what you are saying but since someone had just dropped out 4 weeks before nationals not really giving a reason apart from she thought the gym was over charging for hotel and coach fees when the hotel fee included coach drivers hotel split across 30 people. I get leaving mid season but I wish it wasnt like a week before a comp or atleast give time so we can rearrange the routine

She gave a reason then; she couldn't afford it. It may not be the reason you like, but it was her reason.

She gave a reason then; she couldn't afford it. It may not be the reason you like, but it was her reason.

the thing was she paid most of it and the things she asked our coach to come back in april she came back then quits again thats the issue I have but she didn't dicuss with my coach she phoned the hotel then said she quit and wants her money back to the coach
If you can't afford it fine but please if they can be upfront one of our members is and she will pay but pays in smaller installments and other people speak to coach and sort but please don't quit 3 weeks before nationals when we only have 14 on the team

That's exactly the situation in the UK (at least where I live). If you switch gyms most of the time its a game of bitching and back stabbing. Just look at the UK Cheer Forum and you'll see how notorious UK cheer really is. I was considering switching gyms at the end of the season but now I'm just flat out quitting because it isn't worth the hassle despite how much I love cheer. And I guess I only took on these opinions because of the environment I've grown in through cheer as its really different to how the US runs. My team isn't a business and its a rural area so we cant afford for people to be leaving as we don't have replacements. Therefore the policy in my team is finish the season out of respect for the team, even if you don't like it tough it out because you committed.

That's exactly the situation in the UK (at least where I live). If you switch gyms most of the time its a game of bitching and back stabbing. Just look at the UK Cheer Forum and you'll see how notorious UK cheer really is. I was considering switching gyms at the end of the season but now I'm just flat out quitting because it isn't worth the hassle despite how much I love cheer. And I guess I only took on these opinions because of the environment I've grown in through cheer as its really different to how the US runs. My team isn't a business and its a rural area so we cant afford for people to be leaving as we don't have replacements. Therefore the policy in my team is finish the season out of respect for the team, even if you don't like it tough it out because you committed.
Also very sorry if I offended anyone didn't mean to! I guess I just have strong opinions on the subject and I get sidetracked sometimes.

I am uk too and I will be either switching gyms and travelling 2hours to the next nearest one or quitting and doing dance. I am going to tryouts to see how that goes but this is only my 2nd season and I think I have had enough

Back