All-Star Gyms Not Members Of Usasf

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

SheCheers

Cheer Parent
Mar 6, 2011
I'm just wondering if anyone can think of a reason why a gym wouldn't want to be a member of USASF. As a consumer, would you consider using a gym if it was not a member? why or why not?

I'm just wondering if anyone can think of a reason why a gym wouldn't want to be a member of USASF. As a consumer, would you consider using a gym if it was not a member? why or why not?
How many parents know what the USASF is? (They will all know soon enough when they start paying them for athlete registration)
Second, how many people actually know if their gym is a member of the USASF. Even if you know what the USASF is, as a parent, would you really care or be concerned enough to ask?

Great post... Would love to see more responses... Any gym owners/ coaches at gyms that are not members of USASF... can you tell us why?

How many parents know what the USASF is? (They will all know soon enough when they start paying them for athlete registration)
Second, how many people actually know if their gym is a member of the USASF. Even if you know what the USASF is, as a parent, would you really care or be concerned enough to ask?

I doubt even 10% know what it is, but here (on the board) that per cent age is higher, so that's why I'm asking. I'm not sure if it even matters, but when I look at the listings on the usasf's website, there are several local gyms that aren't listed. It makes me wonder why for sure....and if it actually matters to anyone, especially consumers. For me, it doesn't really matter, but maybe it should??? So, I'm wanting to hear others' opinions.

One reason Local gyms may not be members is because they don't even know what it is or maybe they don't want to put in the money to become a member.

They don't want to put in the money when they're just starting out, and then once they're established they don't get around to it.

Maybe they feel that membership is not worth it (what do they get for their membership fee).

They think that only the "big name gyms" with Worlds level teams need to have (or benefit from) membership.

I would agree with Rich and MissBee.

Most parents don't even know who/what the USASF is...even "big name gyms" with Worlds level teams.

And it can be cost prohibitive for the "mom and pop" gyms. It may not seem like alot of money to those that are familiar with and/or benefit from membership.

I do like the registration of athletes, however as a parent I am far more concerned with safety.

I think as previously mentioned, most parents have no clue who the USASF even is, even after their kids have been cheering for a few years. If they don't take the time to educate themselves, and they gym doesn't educate them then they might nit know for awhile. As and educated cheer person, I would not join a gym that was not a member. I feel like member status = certified coaches not to mention first aid training

Keep in mind any gym can be a member which is all you need to attend Worlds (that and a qualifying level 5 or 6 team) but very few are actually a USASF Certified gym which means they are supposed to do background checks on employees follow certain rules. As ACEDAD has informed me on a different forum, gym certification is coming but athlete membership has to implemented first.

they dont have a worlds eligible team so maybe til that point they dont see a need for it
I have seen that happen with a few gyms. Until they have a Level 5 team, decide to compete at a Worlds bid event, get a Worlds bid and decide to accept it they see no need for it. I would like to see USASF mandate that only gyms that are members of USASF can compete for bids. That the gym must provide their membership # in order to be even eligible for a bid. It is an easy way to nip that issue. However if the whole aim of USASF is increasing membership then they may not really care whenever they join, as long as they do.

When the USASF was first established (and we were going to meetings for the NACCC and USASF) we became a founding member gym. We let it lapse because things were so disorganized and paying for it was NOT our highest priority as a small gym.
We have since re-upped of course but IMO it should be a requirement to be a certified gym to even operate in this business.

I have seen that happen with a few gyms. Until they have a Level 5 team, decide to compete at a Worlds bid event, get a Worlds bid and decide to accept it they see no need for it. I would like to see USASF mandate that only gyms that are members of USASF can compete for bids. That the gym must provide their membership # in order to be even eligible for a bid. It is an easy way to nip that issue. However if the whole aim of USASF is increasing membership then they may not really care whenever they join, as long as they do.

Event producers would have to monitor this and be honest, do you really think they would enforce it if it meant the possibility of fewer teams attending or added cost of doing this?

Event producers would have to monitor this and be honest, do you really think they would enforce it if it meant the possibility of fewer teams attending or added cost of doing this?

At some point we all in life have to do the right thing - money made or lost regardless. In this case the integrity of the Worlds system is frankly crap. We are saying in effect it don't matter how they get there as long as we hopefully get the right result and make a boat load of money in the process. Why cant the EP's that offer Worlds bid monitor this? Do they want to? Probably not.

What kills me is we have the illusion of a system - so it looks like we are doing something - that moves at times with snails pace and then makes inexplicable sudden shifts in the middle of the season. For the thing that is the big draw it seems to me they should at least do that correctly.

Latest posts

Back