All-Star Gyms Turning Kids Away

• Thread starter Deleted member 11300
  • Start date

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

D

Deleted member 11300

At our gym (and most others I know), all kids make a team. Are there any gyms that have to turn kids away because they just dont have the room? As allstar cheer gets more popular, Im sure there will come a day when tryout will be true tryouts. The gyms will take the best and the rest go home. Its my understanding that allstar was created for those girls that didn't make high school cheer but wanted to continue to cheer. Is this happening at gyms yet or do you think it will happen in the near future?

I remember reading somewhere that Cheer Athletics had to turn away some 18+ male athletes because they didnt have enough room on Wildcats! Even some athletes with doubles.

Only after tryouts, even though until fall they will try to find a spot. It's much easier with the young ones than the high school kids, but they'll try their best.

At our gym (and most others I know), all kids make a team. Are there any gyms that have to turn kids away because they just dont have the room? As allstar cheer gets more popular, Im sure there will come a day when tryout will be true tryouts. The gyms will take the best and the rest go home. Its my understanding that allstar was created for those girls that didn't make high school cheer but wanted to continue to cheer. Is this happening at gyms yet or do you think it will happen in the near future?

I don't really consider all star to be the back up position to high school cheer at all. Some gyms do have limitations that are reached as regards space, time and coaching staff though I imagine they would hate to not be able to place someone. :confused: But sadly, it does happen. Or kids don't make the team of their choice and choose not to cheer because of the team they are placed on.

At my old gym they had tryouts, some girls didn't even make level 1 and we had room. I think its understandable if the gym doesn't have room and they turn people away but I don't think its right for some athletes to not make any level just because they're "not good enough"

Its my understanding that allstar was created for those girls that didn't make high school cheer but wanted to continue to cheer.

At least in Kansas City it was a collection of the best cheerleaders on their school teams that wanted to be able to compete on a higher level. Similar to an All Star baseball team.

Its my understanding that allstar was created for those girls that didn't make high school cheer but wanted to continue to cheer. Is this happening at gyms yet or do you think it will happen in the near future?

Not to be rude but IMO you're understanding is completely wrong. The high school aged kids in our gym are better than about 99% of the kids at our local high schools. In my city in the late 90s and early 2000s a lot of the allstar gyms were invitational only. The coaches would contact kids on high school teams and ask them to join the "club" team.

I do believe we do.

Like we have youth 1.

If you are level 1 junior or senior aged and you walk into our gym don't expect to make a team. (Now we don't discriminate if we had fifteen who walked in then sure we would make a team for them but we aren't going to hurt our s2 by sticking all those kids on it) just so we can make more money. Unless we specifically needed you.

If you are level 1 and your youth age or younger and you don't have back walkover / front walkover and the ability to base / fly level 1 stunts. You will not make our youth 1. We will offer you show team (completely different but you will not be placed otherwise)

Not to be rude but IMO you're understanding is completely wrong. The high school aged kids in our gym are better than about 99% of the kids at our local high schools. In my city in the late 90s and early 2000s a lot of the allstar gyms were invitational only. The coaches would contact kids on high school teams and ask them to join the "club" team.

Not to be rude back, but I know the daughter of the woman who started allstar cheerleading Hilda McDaniel. She told me personally that Hilda started allstar back in the 80s because the pop warner girls she was coaching that did not make cheer in school wanted to keep cheering. Thus allstar was born. PS.....check Wikipedia under allstar cheer.

All star started in our area with invitation only clubs. Then it became a hot bed for the girls that didn't make their school teams. It has evolved so much since then.
We have started looking at prep teams or exhibition teams even though we are a small gym and mostly everyone is placed. I have only put 2-3 girls (that just stood there at tryouts) in rec classes instead of on a team in the last 15 years but that is changing.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

That is how it started. That is not how it is.

There are multiple levels in all star, which include levels for nearly every experience level. There isn't a need to simply turn someone away if they do not yet have strong skills. You can place them on teams with others who roughly share their experience level.

Much like gymnastics, the talent level from the top private gyms are astronomically stronger than the strongest high school programs.

I do believe we do.

Like we have youth 1.

If you are level 1 junior or senior aged and you walk into our gym don't expect to make a team. (Now we don't discriminate if we had fifteen who walked in then sure we would make a team for them but we aren't going to hurt our s2 by sticking all those kids on it) just so we can make more money. Unless we specifically needed you.

If you are level 1 and your youth age or younger and you don't have back walkover / front walkover and the ability to base / fly level 1 stunts. You will not make our youth 1. We will offer you show team (completely different but you will not be placed otherwise)
I find this strange since level 1 doesn't normally require any skills. You usually gain those during the summer and grow stronger throughout the year. Most gyms don't turn away tiny/mini aged kids who don't have a front/back walkover.

Not to be rude back, but I know the daughter of the woman who started allstar cheerleading Hilda McDaniel. She told me personally that Hilda started allstar back in the 80s because the pop warner girls she was coaching that did not make cheer in school wanted to keep cheering. Thus allstar was born. PS.....check Wikipedia under allstar cheer.

Sure you are right about how allstar cheer started.
But allstar cheer now is not "I did not make my school team, so i'll do allstar".
There might be girls taking this way, but i think (just my opinion) most of the athletes/parents make the decision for allstar cheer not because they don't make a school team.
Allstar cheer is expensive and needs hard work and dedication - it's not a substitute for not being on a school team.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

Back