All-Star Gyms Turning Kids Away

• Thread starter Deleted member 11300
  • Start date

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

The 2 posts above are why I feel some athletes leave their home gym. If you are willing to place athletes with all the skills and athletes with 1 or 2 skills on the same team, don't be surprised when the first one chooses to jump to a mega gym. I agree everyone deserves to be trained but everyone deserves to be on the best team for their skill set. Just my thoughts...

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!

we have NEVER had this happen in our gym. Not one athlete has left because there were a few kids on a team that didn't have all the skills for that level. we take our team placements very seriously and do everything we can to make sure that every single team in our gym has everything they need to be successful. i think that is the most important thing. If your gym is lucky enough to be able to have every single athlete on every single team be completely level appropriate, then good for you. but it doesn't happen like that all the time. We are not a "mega gym" but we are not a small gym either. We do sometimes put kids on a team without all the level appropriate skills but they still will do great.
i coached a small senior 2 team last year with half the team not even having a handspring & we ended up having a great year & never placed lower than second. and every single kid came back to our gym this year.

We are willing to coach anything that walks in the door but this applys to any level not just level 1. Lets say our only senior team was senior 3.. Is it fair to let a bunch of level 1s and 2s on the team because we don't have a place for them? I don't think so.

I know no one sees my point and I'm not out bashing level 1 kids or anyone else. If it was one or two I bet we would place them but its not really fair to diminish a whole level for the sake of a few athletes.

I'm really sorry and I know I just rambled on but the problem isn't that we don't want to coach them, we just can't place them. I'm sure they would make senior one even if they all didn't have fwo/bwo but we aren't a mega gym it's hard to fill out that level in that age group.

I actually have found that this isn't such a bad circumstance. I cheered on this team. Senior 2 was our lowest level so every senior athlete without a layout made that team. We maxed out, and about 10-16 of the girls did not tumble.

And we won. A lot. And those girls are now that much close to a BHS because they were working all season to get it for the team. So it's not necessarily a death sentence for a level 2 team to have some level 1 (or 0) kids on it.

The 2 posts above are why I feel some athletes leave their home gym. If you are willing to place athletes with all the skills and athletes with 1 or 2 skills on the same team, don't be surprised when the first one chooses to jump to a mega gym. I agree everyone deserves to be trained but everyone deserves to be on the best team for their skill set. Just my thoughts...

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android || Upgrade Your Account!
Can I just say that I absolutely adore your pic? freaking adorable!

At my gym even though our senior team is quite small we turn away athletes. Not usually initially but after we put them on a team in the past if they fail to show up for practices or cause drama on the team they will not usually be placed on a team.
I know that's a little deeper than simply cutting people but still. I understand why people get cut though, there's only so much room on a team & there are only certain amounts of teams at a gym. Sometimes there may not be room for everyone & the coaches have to choose the athletes that have the best skill sets & will work the best with that team.

We are a small not for profit gym and we have always had tryouts for all of our levels. We simply do not have enough space to accommodate the interest in our area, and many of the girls are young and in level 1. This year we had over 175 attend tryouts and we were only able to place 101. We don't like it, but we are not for profit and have to work within our restraints.

We are a small not for profit gym and we have always had tryouts for all of our levels. We simply do not have enough space to accommodate the interest in our area, and many of the girls are young and in level 1. This year we had over 175 attend tryouts and we were only able to place 101. We don't like it, but we are not for profit and have to work within our restraints.

I'm simply asking because I'm curious, not because I'm criticizing your choices to turn athletes away. Why were you unable to create 3 more teams for the remaining 74 athletes? I imagine that many of them were the same ages and the same skill levels, as you said that they were beginners.

We have had to turn kids away this year... I feel awful, but it's all been kids that have suddenly decided they want to join and the teams are full. We've been practicing for 3 months, and we are starting routines. I don't think people realize that we don't just take the summer off..

Back