High School Hair We Go!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Twinklestars

Cheer Parent
Sep 11, 2013
How do you wear your hair for games? Or, how does your team/cp wear theirs?

Does your state have rules for games or just for comps?

More specifically, is there a rule in TN that states the hair has to be in a ponytail in order to legally stunt. One of the cheerleaders who originally cheered in another state has told the girls this. I have difficulty with the state website and couldn't find much on the national ones either. Isn't someone a coach who might know, maybe @AScheer?

The girls usually do half up half down or low ponies for games. I'm not aware of any rules in MA in regard to game day hair.

How do you wear your hair for games? Or, how does your team/cp wear theirs?

Does your state have rules for games or just for comps?

More specifically, is there a rule in TN that states the hair has to be in a ponytail in order to legally stunt. One of the cheerleaders who originally cheered in another state has told the girls this. I have difficulty with the state website and couldn't find much on the national ones either. Isn't someone a coach who might know, maybe @AScheer?
No such rule here! I think that Illinois or some state up north does have a rule like that. Our state website is terrible!!!

Usually we wear our hair in high straight ponytails for away games and half up half down curled for home games. It can change occasionally on busy weeks or important away games, but that is usually our system.

We wore our hair in a high pony (straight or curled, didn't matter) for games. In Missouri you can't stunt or tumble with your hair half up/half down or down... Though some schools ignore that during games which makes me so annoyed. It has to be up if you're doing any stunting at all. For comps it can't even touch your face so we had to wear buns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We wore our hair in a high pony (straight or curled, didn't matter) for games. In Missouri you can't stunt or tumble with your hair half up/half down or down... Though some schools ignore that during games which makes me so annoyed. It has to be up if you're doing any stunting at all. For comps it can't even touch your face so we had to wear buns.

Is it still that way for competitions? I feel like Liberty has had some girls with bobs that wore their hair half up/half down but I might be wrong. I always had to struggle to find a way to get my bob into a high ponytail...and curl it for competitions [emoji854]

No such rule here! I think that Illinois or some state up north does have a rule like that. Our state website is terrible!!!

Usually we wear our hair in high straight ponytails for away games and half up half down curled for home games. It can change occasionally on busy weeks or important away games, but that is usually our system.
Thank you! I was fairly certain that the limit did not exist here!

I will let cp know!

Is it still that way for competitions? I feel like Liberty has had some girls with bobs that wore their hair half up/half down but I might be wrong. I always had to struggle to find a way to get my bob into a high ponytail...and curl it for competitions [emoji854]

I think it might have changed because rock bridge wore curled ponytails this year. But last year it still had to be a bun!

In Iowa in order to even participate in cheers on the track/sideline/turf (whatever your school has your cheerleaders stand on) your hair must be on the top of your head (curled or straight does not matter), absolutely NO WISPIES anywhere (most common on sides of face), it cannot hang on your shoulders (so for those with long hair it has to be in a bun), and the bow may not touch the face in any area. If a coach tattles on another team breaking the rules then there is a ten point deduction per incident. Oh how I wish I could have a ponytail but I would rather not risk the deduction...

In Iowa in order to even participate in cheers on the track/sideline/turf (whatever your school has your cheerleaders stand on) your hair must be on the top of your head (curled or straight does not matter), absolutely NO WISPIES anywhere (most common on sides of face), it cannot hang on your shoulders (so for those with long hair it has to be in a bun), and the bow may not touch the face in any area. If a coach tattles on another team breaking the rules then there is a ten point deduction per incident. Oh how I wish I could have a ponytail but I would rather not risk the deduction...
The girl on my cp's team that said that their hair has to be in a ponytail is from Iowa. But, she purposefully leaves out hair in front of her ears--so, major wispies!

Back