Help A Base With Flying Please!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

May 11, 2010
So... I've been a base all my cheerlife. And I'm good at that and I like that I can control the stunt and you know, do what a base does. :)
Now, I've been asked to fly in the opening sequence and do a show n go to suicide. I was really suprised that I managed that and it was actually kind of fun. ;)
But now, I'm asked to try and fly in one of the stunt sequences and do a switch up to heel stretch.
I'v never done any of that my whole life. And I'm excited but scared and I feel like I'm really way waaaay too big to fly, especially in an all girl group. And I feel like I'd be crushing my bases. :/
Also, I don't have a heel stretch yet (even though some teammates told me that it didn't look even close to hopeless... I feel like I'm a moose. ^^).

I did my first lib ever last practice with some of our guys:

So I need your help because I really at least wanna give it a good try and say that I've really tried my hardest.

So any stretching tipps (how often do you stretch and how long? what exercisesare most effective to get a heel stretch?) and especially tips on how to relax in the air are very very much appreciated.
The feeling up there is just soooo weird for me. I feel like I'll fall any second and it's really hard to not balance (even though I KNOW that I shouldn't do it).

Thank you so much!

So any stretching tipps (how often do you stretch and how long? what exercisesare most effective to get a heel stretch?) and especially tips on how to relax in the air are very very much appreciated.
The feeling up there is just soooo weird for me. I feel like I'll fall any second and it's really hard to not balance (even though I KNOW that I shouldn't do it).

Thank you so much!

As lots of people say, Gabi Butler's stretching video is pretty good :) I found the best stretches for a heel stretch are: splits (like everything); high kicks (try not to "collapse" in your core when you do this, and make sure you keep both legs straight)- they really help to give you the strength to kick your leg into the stretch as well as the flexibility. Also the partner stretch where you lie on your back with your arms in a "T" and your partner holds one leg to the floor and pushes the other up towards your chest (again, both legs straight).

When you go up to the lib, make sure you "pin" your left leg to your right knee straight away, and squeeze it there. I find it helps to focus on my left foot, because then I'm not thinking about if my right foot is wobbling. Also, make sure your high-V is solid, it looks a little high in the picture. If you have it in the right place (so you can see your fists in your peripheral vision), and keep it strong you can use it to "lift up" (I think about it like tensing your abs slightly up, rather than in, if that makes any sense). Generally, squeeze your stomach and keep your knee locked, but don't do what I used to do which is tense so much that you start to shake!
I think what made me relax more in the air was that we had to do facials in every stunt at every practice- you start believing the cheesey smile after a while and that really relaxed me :)

I feel like I've just typed most pieces of advice I've received in one jumbled mess, but I hope you can pick out one or two things to help!

Thank you so much!!
I think, concentrating on something else than my right foot might actually work. I'll try to distract myself next time. Yeah, my high V is awfull up there. Don't even know what I'm doing! xD

Should I stretch everyday for like 30 min or every other and then longer?

Thank you so much!!
I think, concentrating on something else than my right foot might actually work. I'll try to distract myself next time. Yeah, my high V is awfull up there. Don't even know what I'm doing! xD

Should I stretch everyday for like 30 min or every other and then longer?

I get pretty lazy with my stretching sometimes, but I think little and often is best. Even if it means 10 minutes a few times a day, just warm up, sit in splits (or as close to) for a minute or so (don't forget to do both sides!), pull a few heel stretches and any other stretches you feel like doing, then carry on with life! I find it's pretty good procrastination :p
But I think every so often (after one practice a week for example), get really warmed up and stretch everything for as long as you can before you get dreadfully bored/need to leave the gym :)

Okay, I know this is probably a stupid thought but it's still in my head and I need to get it out. I'm 5'8 tall and weigh 130-133 lbs and I just feel so bad because I'm thinking the bases are used to light and small flyers and then there is me. :confused:

Okay, I know this is probably a stupid thought but it's still in my head and I need to get it out. I'm 5'8 tall and weigh 130-133 lbs and I just feel so bad because I'm thinking the bases are used to light and small flyers and then there is me. :confused:

If your coach has decided to put you in the air then he/she clearly knows that your bases are stong enough. Taller flyers normally have nicer lines too. Just trust your bases :) I know when I used to base I'd get so frustrated by people telling me they were too heavy to fly- I used to main base a girl who was heavier than me, a lot of it comes down to proper technique for both the base and the flyer.

You'll be absolutely fine, just trust your bases and your coach :)

Thanks! You are absolutely right, of course. I guess I'm just a little scared. But that doesn't keep me from practicing.. long way to go.

I wouldn't worry, I've based girls who weigh as much as me that felt like nothing, and I've based girls who weigh 90 pounds and cradle like a sack of bricks. It depends on how you hold yourself in the air. And I wouldn't worry about height, my old flyer was five inches taller than me....

and especially tips on how to relax in the air are very very much appreciated.

I based and flew and some of the same routines so I feel your pain. When I first started doing tougher stunts in the air my coach had me practice falling. I know that sounds weird but it works. She'd make me over pull body positions and feel unbalanced and fall so that my body understood where it needed to be and how far I could go before I did lose balance. It's all about finding a happy medium. You know what it's like to be on the bottom half of a stunt so picture where you need to be based on if you were basing yourself if that makes sense. I know that helped me keep myself centered. Good luck and I'm sure you'll do great :)

Weirdest feeling I've ever had stunting! xD But I kind of did it... not nicely but at least I tried, right?

i was actually always wondering why you are not flying :D
your heelstrech is gonna look AMAZING once you stretched enough because you have long legs! :)

Just for the laughs, the girls tried to base me and teach me some essentials after we had hit our mandtory 2base stunts:

:D

Hallo Jule, bei deinem ersten Heel fehlt dir wohl noch etwas die Spannung im Körper (als auch etwas die Dehnung für einen sauberen Heel)
dein Camera Girl hat es eh richtig gesagt, Fuß ran, konzentrieren und jede Faser anspannen im Körper :)

Back