All-Star Help A Uk (united Kingdom) Cheer On Top Gun Large Coed 2014-2015

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Ok well you didn't need to pick apart every suggestion I had! And UK isn't a third world country for god sake. This athlete can figure out MANY ways to make money instead of asking for an easy handout and donating money to a, no offence, unworthy cause.

I'd love to cheer again and would love to go to the states also to do it or anywhere for that matter to get an experience like this young man wants. But I know what is realistic and what isn't. Like I said he should have thought it through a bit more before sending in a tryout video only to not have money to go.

Oh and @Jennie so glad you cleared that up...thought I'd have to bring some electricity and 20 dozen packs of water with me to the UK when I come down. Glad that's cleared up :)

I'll admit it doesn't feel quite right to me either, but I keep telling myself then don't donate. The request is completely above board and if people are willing to donate given all the details then that's their prerogative. I've seen many gyms suggest athletes get "sponsors" in order to cheer. Truth is that's barely different - asking for $$ from family, friends, local businesses to fund cheer. So they maybe get a shout out on a t-shirt or something, but we all know there's little real value in that. So, although it just doesn't feel quite right this new trend of the gofundme request is not all that novel an idea. It's just being taken to a new level.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

I'll admit it doesn't feel quite right to me either, but I keep telling myself then don't donate. The request is completely above board and if people are willing to donate given all the details then that's their prerogative. I've seen many gyms suggest athletes get "sponsors" in order to cheer. Truth is that's barely different - asking for $$ from family, friends, local businesses to fund cheer. So they maybe get a shout out on a t-shirt or something, but we all know there's little real value in that. So, although it just doesn't feel quite right this new trend of the gofundme request is not all that novel an idea. It's just being taken to a new level.

I agree. I was never really on board with the "sponsor" idea either.

I guess I'm old school but I feel like if it's something you really want you should work for it, not just hit up others to fund it.

I am a single parent with zero financial assistance from my ex-husband. When my daughter cheered she did fundraisers AND had sponsorships. We did this for both her high school and all star cheerleading programs. There is no way she could have cheered without both at that time. Both programs were so helpful and understanding. I see nothing wrong with a sponsorship, however I do believe the athlete needs to be trying to raise money as well by working and/or participation in fundraisers. My daughter also went around our community soliciting local businesses for sponsorships. The company I worked for at the time sponsored a good amount as well.

And what about his family and his parents. It just feels like he put the cart before the horse. I think this is a problem with all the gyms that host boys. The boys come feeling entitled and act like they can do whatever they want. I really feel like these boys should have to be respectful, responsible and drug free. The gyms are not charging these boys so he will not need money for gym fees.

goFundMe also gets nearly 8% of the total collected at the end... not a whole lot. but adds up quickly, especially when that money could be going to the cause. i realize he set up the account because people wanted a secure way to donate, but couldn't it have been done through paypal or something? oh well, it's hindsight and doesn't help, i know.

i don't mean to criticize. i 200% understand having a dream being so close, yet so far. it's not easy to give it up. but sometimes it's for the best and you find an even better dream. (if he truly cannot leave the UK without $10,000)

When I set up my gofundme to help me pay for a medical device for my diabetes I don't think it was that much percent going back to gofundme. I believe it was like 2 or 3% and then 1 or 2 % went to paypal. In the end I ended up only making about $350 and the start up cost for the device was $1840 so it helped a bit for sure but I would never use a gofundme page for basically a vacation ...

@njallday I had no idea gofundme kept that much. Good info!

They're tricky. They advertise all over as "free" but it really means free to sign up. Once your deadline is over they basically invoice you for 7.4-7.9% of what you raised (rate depends on country)

I looked into gofundme and all similar sites a while back for a client trying to fundraise for new technology/medical equipment for her son with CP that insurance didn't cover. We ended up finding a charity to over the costs, thankfully, because every single one of those sites takes percentages. Some also charge a set-up fee. Crazy. (But makes sense, how else would they be a profitable business?)

If you really need donations from people, set up a separate account at your bank for people to send checks to or use paypal or something similar. If he raised the $10,000, $800 would be going back to GFM... Well that's another flight to Miami.

I wish mason the best of luck! There are tons of great guy cheerleaders coming out to top gun. That program is getting bigger and bigger each year. But I really wish him luck and to stay fierce no matter what! :)

I'm not against the whole donation idea. I think that if that's something you want to pursue then you best make it happen because people put money into you. With that being said I feel if an athlete wants donations THEY should come forth and put out the reasons why they deserve people's money. Not have a friend, family, or a fan do a post about them. Also, top gun is a very popular gym. Young athletes around world watch top gun and want to follow top gun. I would hope he is a good role model. Something he could have mentioned was if he completed school or what has he done to give back. Top gun and many many other cheer programs don't just have cheerleaders they have role models. I feel he did not completely sell it to me. Everyone has dreams and they are going out to pursue them. So I need to know what makes him different from the others wanting the same chance he wants. I did read that he was selected which is amazing! So congrats and again as I said before good luck!

I have a question... How does Medical Coverage work with someone from outside the US? Im sure you can have insurance when you travel for such things but does that work long term?
God forbid this boy gets hurt... How will that be covered?
I think its a great opportunity for this boy but i see so many obstacles and like another poster has said sometimes things arent meant to be.
I slso feel if you are on this board you need every nickel to pay for your own piece of cheerleading pie and barley can make that!

I have a question... How does Medical Coverage work with someone from outside the US? Im sure you can have insurance when you travel for such things but does that work long term?
God forbid this boy gets hurt... How will that be covered?
I think its a great opportunity for this boy but i see so many obstacles and like another poster has said sometimes things arent meant to be.
I slso feel if you are on this board you need every nickel to pay for your own piece of cheerleading pie and barley can make that!

You can get extended medical insurance for however long you're going from your insurance company. My grandparents live in Arizona half the year and do this. It's quite expensive though especially because my grandfather is type 2 diabetic.

And what about his family and his parents. It just feels like he put the cart before the horse. I think this is a problem with all the gyms that host boys. The boys come feeling entitled and act like they can do whatever they want. I really feel like these boys should have to be respectful, responsible and drug free. The gyms are not charging these boys so he will not need money for gym fees.

I'm going to try to say this professionally. As the mother of a male cheerleader I tend to tire of the generalizations you've made here. I got REAL tired of the "well your boy should do x, y, and z because they're free and we have to pay." I assure you, at no point has my son EVER been free.

That being said, do some boys act entitled and are off the chain? Sure. Annoys me too. Especially since that sort of behavior ends up reflecting on my kid who is most assuredly not like that. But that doesn't apply to ALL boys. And while many programs give some sort of financial break to boys, it doesn't apply to all of us, and even if/when it does, those breaks can come with strings attached and requirements to "pay" for the breaks they're given, be it in coaching, privates, multiple team placements, manual labor in setting up and breaking down floors etc.

My suggestion is merely to be careful not to generalize to an entire demographic of cheerleaders. Every demographic has their own percentage of issues. But all boys are not freeloaders just because they're boys. And just because this boy has a gofundme (which I personally don't agree with but it's not really my business) doesn't necessarily mean he's a freeloader either. This COULD be just one part of his overall financial plan and without knowing him, his family or his circumstances, I'm just choosing not to go on record with a judgement.

Back