All-Star Help/advice: Hard Decision To Make!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Take the job - I am sure your daughter's gym will miss you and thank you for thinking of them but you need to put your family first. I have never seen a routine set in stone - it always changes and grows as the girls skills develop and there is always a chance of a CP getting hurt or something happen and they have to make a major change. I am confident that the coaches will be able to make changes to make the routine work still. Prayers that it all works out well.

The single thing that has most impressed me about allstar coaches is their ability to make changes at a moment's notice. I've seen athletes inform their gym one or two weeks b4 competition that they can't be there but will be back for the next one, I've seen teams perform with a replacement when an athlete got injured at warm ups and the average person would be hard pressed to notice anything was wrong, I've seen athletes dismissed a couple of weeks before worlds because they weren't willing to commit to practices. Coaches handle all of this remarkably!

As Mom2Cheergirls said, no routine is ever set in stone. The nature of the sport doesn't allow for it!

Take the job if that's what's best for your family in the long run. It's heartbreaking to leave your gym and the team will have to make changes, but they have two months to adjust. Everyone will understand. You're not moving/leaving just for kicks, you're doing it for the greater good of your family. The team will go on and your girls will find a new gym to call "home".

My move to Chicago was in October 2010. October is about as close to competition season as you can get without actually being in it. But I was offered a great job here that paid about 30% more than I was making and my sister lives here. The opportunity was just too good to pass up. I felt awful when I had to tell my girls' gym that we were leaving at such a bad time in the season. I literally burst into tears while I was telling them. :oops: And I was so upset about letting their teams down.

You want to know the gym owner's reaction? She smiled HUGE and said that it was so awesome that I found such a great opportunity that would help my family so much. She said my daughters could continue to come to practices until we left to keep their skills so when we moved they'd be ready for a new gym. She let us participate in the parade that had been scheduled. She found buyers for both the uniforms I had to sell - and got me a great price (full price for the uniform since it was brand new still with tags, and I threw in the bows and practice wear, so I got almost all my money back).

What I'm getting at is that gym owners and coaches are human, with hearts. If presented with as much notice as is possible, an obvious reason that clearly must take precedence over cheer (yes, even gym owners realize that these reasons exist), and you make it clear that you genuinely are unhappy that you have to leave the gym, they will probably surprise you with their support. (If they don't and they have a fit, then whatever. Leave and don't give it a second thought. If they can't bounce back in AUGUST from losing a couple kids then this might not be the business for them)

Very long, wordy way of saying TAKE THE JOB. Good luck and congrats on the job offer!:chestbump:

Just to continue with my thoughts above, and what Just-a-Mom said. As a coach, if you came to me and told me what you posted above, I would be sad. Sad I'm losing girls and a family. However, I would wish you the best, and point you in a gym direction (if I had contacts in any area gyms, I'd make some calls). You can't make a decision like this based on cheer. Kids never want to move. They like their school, their gym, their friends. They'll like their new school, new gym and new friends too. But, a decision like this, is more important than cheer. Go for it. You are being rewarded for being you.

If this was one of your kids that had to make this decision, what would advise them to do? Take a job that is going to provide for so much, or hold themselves back?

Back