Help! My Base Partner Is Really Bad

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Apr 3, 2014
Hi, I did cheer for 4 years on one team and now I been doing it 2 years with my new team. I've never had any problems basing with any different bases. But now my new base partner is so bad...She has only been cheerleading for about half a year. She doesn't have the strength, her elbows are bent in extension and I have to hold all the weight ect she can't make the 360 full up go round all the way, the flyer only turns 270 so theres no way I can catch her other foot... She is just bad at all stunts and she makes me look really bad. I am getting really frustrated with her. I try to tell her nicely about her mistakes but she just says "yeah" and then still makes the same mistakes or even tries to tell me that maybe I'm the one doing something wrong, when in fact yesterday she wasn't at practice, so another base filled in for her and the stunts were going perfect and today she was back and the stunts keep on falling again. I don't know what to do? :(

Last edited:
My fave thing to tell people is to really make sure it's not YOU.

From a coaching standpoint, you'd be surprised how many times I've heard "SHE'S KILLING ALL OUR STUNTS!" but then when I actually watch, I notice that it's quite the opposite. Or it's a WHOLE group technique issue.

Not trying to be rude, but it helps to learn how to be objective.

I understand that and I know that nor I nor anyone else is always perfect but she really bad. I never have such issues when I base with anyone else.

Hi, I did cheer for 4 years on one team and now I been doing it 2 years with my new team. I've never had any problems basing with any different bases. I've always actually been one of the best bases, but now my new base partner is so bad...She has only been cheerleading for about half a year. She doesn't have the strength, her elbows are bent in extension and I have to hold all the weight ect she can't make the 360 full up go round all the way, the flyer only turns 270 so theres no way I can catch her other foot. She is just bad at all stunts and she makes me look really bad. I am getting really frustrated and angry at her. I try to tell her nicely about her mistakes but she says "yeah" and then still does the same mistakes or even tries to tell me that maybe I'm the one doing something wrong, when in fact yesterday she wasn't at practice, so another base filled in for her and the stunts were going perfect and today she was back and the stunts keep on falling again. I don't know what to do? :(
Sounds like you guys need to go back to basics. Make sure your crunches, half extensions, and extensions are technically sound before you try something like a full around.

Also, just from the tone of your posts, She probably isn't receiving your criticisms well for a reason.

Sounds like you guys need to go back to basics. Make sure your crunches, half extensions, and extensions are technically sound before you try something like a full around.

Also, just from the tone of your posts, She probably isn't receiving your criticisms well for a reason.

I am just panicking because we have a competition in less than 2 weeks an I am so worried that the stunts might go wrong on the mat

I am just panicking because we have a competition in less than 2 weeks an I am so worried that the stunts might go wrong on the mat
Well that's really up to your coach to fix them or take them out! The best I can tell you is that it's more helpful to take videos of the stunt. If you post them here, its easier to see what you're talking about.

Well that's really up to your coach to fix them or take them out! The best I can tell you is that it's more helpful to take videos of the stunt. If you post them here, its easier to see what you're talking about.
Ok, thanks. I will try to get someone to film us during next practice.

Hi, I did cheer for 4 years on one team and now I been doing it 2 years with my new team. I've never had any problems basing with any different bases. I've always actually been one of the best bases, but now my new base partner is so bad...She has only been cheerleading for about half a year. She doesn't have the strength, her elbows are bent in extension and I have to hold all the weight ect she can't make the 360 full up go round all the way, the flyer only turns 270 so theres no way I can catch her other foot. She is just bad at all stunts and she makes me look really bad. I am getting really frustrated and angry at her. I try to tell her nicely about her mistakes but she says "yeah" and then still does the same mistakes or even tries to tell me that maybe I'm the one doing something wrong, when in fact yesterday she wasn't at practice, so another base filled in for her and the stunts were going perfect and today she was back and the stunts keep on falling again. I don't know what to do? :(
talk to ur coach before a flyer gets hurt.

I'd ask your coach to watch your stunts and see if she can see what's going on. That way she'll be aware there's a problem and you don't have to keep telling off your other base. And hopefully your coach will be able to sort it out too!

Talk to your coach and have her watch. Remember that your base partner won't like hearing negative criticism from you as you're her teammate. It's much easier to hear it from a coach. Let your coach do her job. That's why they get paid the big bucks. ;)

Hey GabbyBase, as a much older person, and a person, who works with young people... The worse thing you can express to a peer is the mistakes she is making... When you approach this teammate, come as a humble person, who wants to just help the stunt group... but based on the tone in your post, you maybe right, but being right is not going to get this young lady to want to hear your advice because it is your tone that is turning her off, so she will shut you down right away!!!...:eek: What you need to do is use reverse psychology on your teammate... "Ask her what you think might make the stunt work better and even ask her for advice on making the stunt work better?" The base who you are complaining about will love this gesture, and may admit that she needs help on her end of the stunt, but right now, she is in the defensive mode because of the tone that you made had in your voice...OK! Believe me, the reverse psychology move works about 95% of the time because I work with teens and pre-teens and I use it all of the time and it works, pretty much most of the time:cool:... and it will help, with making you're a tighter stunt group--Another advice, seeing that I am quite a bit older and maybe wiser than you, (only because I walked the Earth longer and possibly old as dirt, haha:rolleyes:) Caution: do not offer her any advice when she admits to possibly not knowing what to do and this will be hard to do on your part-- Take my advice and pretend that you do not know and go dragged your coach into the mix and have the coach check the whole stunt and allow the coach to correct where corrections are needed... OK, Good Luck!(Write back and tell me did the reverse psychology move work--if not, I have something else to offer);):cheering:

Last edited:
Honestly I think the best advice comes from the flyer sometimes!
She's the one that feels what is going on so she might be able to give some advice on how to help.
I absolutely love when my flyers mention ways for the stunt to be better or what we could do to make it easier! just as an example, a few weeks ago we had a bit of trouble with full ups too, and my flyer mentioned trying to stay closer together and take it up more because she was having trouble standing up. Our stunt hit after that!

Just like some other people said, ask you coach to come over and watch! There's nothing wrong with asking for help!

Hope you stunts get better :)

"Recognize who we are, This is Rockstar"

Talk to the flyer. She will usually be able to tell which side of the stunt isn't doing their part. If that doesn't work, Talk to your coach in private, explain your issue and maybe get her to watch some of your stunts. I'm a base and I hate it when the other bases tell me what to do, it is way more likely that this girl will listen to her coach rather than to you (no offense).

Just remember that she has only done cheer for half a year, and its quite stressful being a beginner and having to do full ups. Go back to basics and make sure they are clean, then move on. Try not to be to hard on her :)

Along with going to your coach and asking them to film it (as others have mentioned), I would also recommend to go back to basics and work on things like timing. If timing is off, the weight distribution can be very uneven. If the stunt still isn't working, try and switch out a base at a time with another very experienced base. This can isolate the problem and make it pretty clear what things need to be fixed. Finally, remember that as the bases, it is a team effort to put these stunts up! Everyone's job will be make 10X as hard if you two work against instead of with each other. Best of luck from a fellow side base! :D

I would go talk to your coach and express your frustrations and see what their solution is. There are going to be times where your base partner may not be up to par with your expectations of a partner. You just have to work together. It takes 4 people to make a stunt work and 4 people to make a stunt not work. As corny as this sounds but teamwork really does make the dream work. Be patient and work together.

Back