College Help Us Out!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Apr 2, 2010
So my cousin, who compete sr level 5, is a junior in high school and is trying to decide where to cheer. Her parents have little to no knowledge about college (both didn't attend) or cheer, so I need your guys' help on giving us some names of schools that fit the following criteria. I'm not too familiar with cheerleading colleges besides the big names, so any help would do.

1. She is a great student, hard working, and wants to go to an academically competitive school. Doesn't matter if it is private or public, just top notch academics. She is going to be a psych major.
2. She wants a big football school, she plans on cheering (she is a fantastic level 5 cheerleader, specialty passes through to double, two to double, has coed and all-girl stunting). But she doesn't want it to be the only thing the school is about.
3. Urban setting or great college town, beautiful campus, friendly people
4. All-star gym nearby (1 hr away max) with a level 5 or 6 team that is competitive at worlds. She would also love to coach.
5. Cheering squad (coed or all-girl) that competes NCA

Thanks in advance.

Thoughts:

1. doubles are irrelevent in college
2. she should pick 3-4 colleges that fit academically, then cheer could be a tie breaker
3. most of your criteria would point you to Louisville, except you said "big football school".

Im with acedad here, If academics are important(which they should be) then pick out 3-5 schools that are within the academic parameters and use cheerleading as a way to choose between them. Also it is going to be nearly impossible to find a school that matches all of those requirements you listed.

So my cousin, who compete sr level 5, is a junior in high school and is trying to decide where to cheer. Her parents have little to no knowledge about college (both didn't attend) or cheer, so I need your guys' help on giving us some names of schools that fit the following criteria. I'm not too familiar with cheerleading colleges besides the big names, so any help would do.

1. She is a great student, hard working, and wants to go to an academically competitive school. Doesn't matter if it is private or public, just top notch academics. She is going to be a psych major.
2. She wants a big football school, she plans on cheering (she is a fantastic level 5 cheerleader, specialty passes through to double, two to double, has coed and all-girl stunting). But she doesn't want it to be the only thing the school is about.
4. All-star gym nearby (1 hr away max) with a level 5 or 6 team that is competitive at worlds. She would also love to coach.

Thanks in advance.

Clemson?
1. According to Wikipedia, the average incoming freshman in 2006 had a GPA of 3.9 and combined SAT score of 1194
2. A Clemson cheerleader who is on the boards (WHOA tiger) was on Varsitys Game Day Experience feature so I'm assuming it's a big football school if they chose to feature Clemson. They have 2 cheering squads; small coed and all girl.
3. Again according to Wikipedia, it doesn't have an urban setting, the city of Clemson has a population of about 12,000 (not including college students) and is about a 2 hour drive from Atlanta, Charlotte and Columbia. It does however have a residential campus.
4. According to www.driving-distances.com the journey from Clemson University to Rockstar Cheer which has two international teams (one got silver in IOAG5 at worlds last year) is 58 minutes.
5. Clemson competed in small coed IA at NCA nationals last year

Thanks in advance.

I think on the College Board you can do a college search where you can choose certain criteria eg. which major you want to do, where you want it to be, etc. to narrow down which school would be right for you, I think you can even have whether they have a cheer squad or not in the search, tell your cousin to try it.

I was thinking Louisville too. Also thought of UCF (Central Florida) but they are UCA.

Back