All-Star Help With A Mental Block?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jul 12, 2012
Hey everyone!

I seem to have the worst timing in the world, so of course with tryouts right around the corner, I've developed a mental block that just won't go away. I've had tumbling blocks before and have gotten over them pretty easily, but this one is different. A bit of back story to explain...a couple months ago I was really doing well stunting. Every time I tried something I got it, and every time I needed a correction I fixed it on the first try. Literally I was averaging about 4-8 new skills per night, it was ridiculous. Then I got a really bad injury and was off for a bit, but since I've been back I don't have any of that mojo. :(

It doesn't matter what the skill is, I pretty much can't hit it or if I can my technique is terrible. I am so frustrated and I know my teammates are frustrated too as they've begun to comment about me being 'lazy' etc. The thing is, I'm not afraid to stunt or do things. But I am afraid of failing and not being good enough, or not getting skills. And I'm terrified that if I don't get better, I won't make the team I'm trying out for this season. And as for corrections, its like I know what I need to do, but my body isn't doing it or I think it is, but it actually isn't changing anything. It's been such an emotional roller-coaster lately, as I want to get better and I'm working really hard but aren't seeing any progress.

Do any of you have any suggestions for dealing with this type of block? It seems like I'm stuck in a never-ending cycle of fear about success and failure. :(

Thank you so much.

And as for corrections, its like I know what I need to do, but my body isn't doing it or I think it is, but it actually isn't changing anything. It's been such an emotional roller-coaster lately, as I want to get better and I'm working really hard but aren't seeing any progress.
Thank you so much.

You did not mention what your injury was, however, whether it is a broken bone, sprain or ligament you can have some residual nerve issues. When you have long term swelling, nerves can take a while to get back to normal and you have to rebuild those muscles. With residual nerve damage, some people have chronic pain/burning, others have pins and needles, others have less feeling or numbness. My daughter had an ankle sprain and they released her after 5 weeks for jumps and tumbling, it was still slightly swollen and didn't feel normal for almost 6 months after her injury. She was landing her jumps and tumbling very awkwardly and kept describing it as though her foot was asleep.
You said it was a bad injury, be patient and be careful not to push yourself too hard right before tryouts.

But I am afraid of failing and not being good enough, or not getting skills. And I'm terrified that if I don't get better, I won't make the team I'm trying out for this season.

This part of your post is my life. When it comes to everything- school, cheer, cooking, everything-I'm a ridiculous perfectionist so I totally get where you're coming from. If I can't do something perfectly I'm probably not even going to try because I hate failing. It took a whole lot of failure for me to get past that way of thinking, but it's time for some Frozen: LET IT GOOOOOO. Good sometimes is good enough. Things don't have to be perfect and especially not on the first try. Everyone moves at their own pace and baby steps are perfectly fine. You even said yourself that the pace you were advancing at was ridiculous, so it is equally as ridiculous to hold yourself to that standard following an injury.

Another game I like to play with myself is "what's the worst that can happen?" Are you a top? Ok if you don't do your job, your stunt falls, but there are still 3 people below you who'll catch you. You or they might be mad, but life goes on. Are you a base? If something goes wrong, the stunt falls, but instinctually you'll still step in to catch your top. And if you can't get to it another base or spotter will. Again, more potential for frustration, but the sun still rises and sets the same. If you don't make the team you're trying out for what's the worst that could happen? You make a lower level? That can be a great opportunity for you to be a leader, make new friends, or learn a new position and then try out again next year!

At the end of the day it's just cheerleading and not rocket science or bomb diffusing. This is supposed to be fun! You've got it girl! You can do whatever stunt you put your mind to!

Is there a certain skill you're blocking on or just everything?

Oh, I love Debbie Love, she's amazing! <3
I'm a crossover athlete for coed & ag. I got injured on ag but after the first practice back I haven't had any troubles hitting my skills, everything is pretty much the same as before my injury. Coed is where I'm having the block. Rotational and twisting skills are fine (doubles, baskets, etc.), same with specialty dismounts. It's doing new skills and pretty much all of the basics; toss to block, lib, awesome, one-hands, etc that I've been struggling. Although I noticed last practice that I can no-longer hit any specialty load-ins consistently or in some cases, at all.

@catlady Very true, I totally understand. It's definitely hard as an athlete to take a step back and put your health before that of the team. I got dropped from a low-high onto my back and had a ton of pain and sciatic nerve pain. It's gone now, thankfully I have an amazing chiro and physiotherapist whom have made all the difference. (I'm still seeing them once a week though, just to keep my strength up and everything in check.) I think my inability to make corrections is coming from being overwhelmed. I hope you daughter is feeling better now!

Double post: A bit of an update, I didn't actually think I'd make progress this fast after asking for help! I went to the gym tonight, sans my main base and ended up stunting with someone I usually don't. At first it started out as usual but after a couple tries everything began to click again; my ability to make corrections improved tremendously and I fixed my basic toss-to-skills and learned a new stunt. My confidence still isn't where it was, but for the first time in forever I actually feel truly happy stunting again. After working with different people I've realized that a ton of my issues stems from my base, who hasn't been the most supportive since I began to block. (I'm hoping that since I've identified this that I'll be able to put it behind me and not let him get into my head.)

I haven't completely gotten over my block yet but I'm finally feeling like its possible to overcome this now. So a big thank you to everyone who gave suggestions or listened to my troubles, just having someone to let it all out to has really helped and allowed me to think more clearly. Thanks again!!! :)

Back