OT Help With Bug Bites

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
May 8, 2011
So I was outside by a lake at night for not even an hour a couple nights ago, and in the morning I look at my legs and they are COVERED in some kind of bug bite, I know some are mosquito bites, some may be chiggers. They are mostly on my feet, I'd say I have at least 40 on each side. They are red bumps of varying sizes, moderately itchy.
Anyway, my point is- how on Earth do I get rid of them??? My friend is having a fourth of July party and I neeeed them to be gone by then- I literally look like I have leprosy. I've tried putting rubbing alcohol on them, soaking in a bath with epsom salts, and dabbing visene on them, to no avail. Can someone PLEASE offer ANY kind of advice or help... I'm desperate :(

My family calls them sand mites!
First, don't itch them! You should put some anti itch cream on them or hydrocortisone cream. Also take ibuprofen. Make sure you spray your feet with bug spray always!!!

Caladryl lotion (the watery stuff, not the cream, since you can spread it over a wider area,) or just take a benadryl pill. Any antihistamine will help take the itchiness and redness away. Ammonia helps in a pinch.
If they are chiggers, don't you have to dab nail polish on the bite, since it's under the skin?
Worst case, buy some cute cropped pants or maxi dress, strappy ankle-tie sandals or gladiators and cover the bites at the party. Leprocy is not fashion-forward.

The BEST product I have ever found is called AfterBite. It's almost 100% Ammonia, so if you can't find the brand name, just get some ammonia. It shrinks the bites, calms redness, and itch.

If you have chiggers take a really hot bath and scrub yourself with a loofah to get rid of the bugs and their larvae. What Mamarazzi said will help, but so will anything that keeps them out of the air to prevent itching, like calamine lotion

AfterBite is amazing. I carry that and Benadryl Itch Stopping Cream everywhere with me in the summer. I probably use them a little too much.

my gma has some stuff from Japan i have no clue the name as i can read it, but ohmygoodness that stuff is amazing. literally minutes after you put it on the bite it works. ooh its fabulous

I've used clear nail polish in the past for just one or two chiggers because they can't breathe because it suffocates them...I found it online a long time ago!

Can someone please tell me what "chiggers" are?

They are these horrible tiny red bugs that give you very itchy bites and they will also cling to the hair on your body or to your skin, so simply taking a shower will not get rid of them. I know this because my boyfriend got them all over his legs one time and I spent a couple hours picking them off with tweezers. Awful!

I think they did turn out to be chiggers, and are mostly healed now! I've got countless little scabs, but putting clear nail polish on them and rubbing alcohol really helped the bites go away. Thanks guys!

They are these horrible tiny red bugs that give you very itchy bites and they will also cling to the hair on your body or to your skin, so simply taking a shower will not get rid of them. I know this because my boyfriend got them all over his legs one time and I spent a couple hours picking them off with tweezers. Awful!
Wow. That sounds brutal.

Back