Hey All, Life Advice Please.

Discussion in 'Random' started by Sterling von Shimmer, Jul 2, 2019.

1. Sterling von Shimmer

Sterling von Shimmer I Fierce Board instead of work/study

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    Yeah I worked at a school for kids with developmental disorders in college (mostly autism and Down's) so I've had some experience in the area. I'm not going to pretend that I know what life was like for their parents based on my handful of hours there, but I've experienced it. And I have no doubt it's hard.

That said, the reason I differentiated between autism and Down's specifically in my original post is because those disorders are relatively common. Doctors/people know what it is and what they're dealing with. In my original post I was thinking more of disorders that are hugely rare and for which there are no widely accepted treatments purely because of their rarity. And if I could possibly force that life on a kid if I could help it.

The reason I ask is because it happened to a former teammate of mine. During her first pregnancy, her amnio showed that her son would be born with a chromosomal abnormality. She chose to have him. After the birth, doctors told her he wouldn't make it past a few months. Five years later, he's still around. Which she wears like a badge of honor and I really respect and admire her for it. But good Lord... her life must be so hard. I don't know if I myself could do it.

2. Sterling von Shimmer

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    That's a great point. I don't understand keeping someone alive when they're over it. We euthanize dogs when they're at the end of their lives so they don't have to endure pain and suffering, but we'll force people to hang on until the bitter end even though their lives at that point are literally them just them waiting to die. It's insane.

3. Ems

Ems I have my own cheer message board

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Retired From Cheer
    It sucks. Not speaking as the parent, but as the sibling. I’ve seen the strain on my parents (and their relationship) first hand. Don’t get me wrong, they love my brother, but holy crap it is hard.

Personally, I would not have a child with a chromosomal abnormality or some other life threatening if not life ending disease. I’m also a proponent of the “Death with Dignity” laws too. Quality of life is important, arguably more important than life itself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. catlady

catlady Slow your roll, Sparkle.

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    Euthanizing humans is definitely not something I'm advocating, I'm just one that believes prolonging life by artificial and extensive means is just as selfish as deciding when someone's life is no longer worthy or too much of a burden. I'm for letting nature take its course. I tend to be pro prevention, so make things such as sex ed, rape counseling, genetic counseling, birth control, early pregnancy tests, plan b, etc available to the masses. I hate the fact that we have so many resources available, but yet we stay fixated on what to do after the fact.

5. Sterling von Shimmer

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Coach
    I’m not for euthanasizing humans either, but as an animal rescue director I do think it’s silly that when animals suffer, we decide to end their pain as an act of kindness. Propping them up with meds and therapy and surgeries just so they can live a few more months is seen as needless and cruel. But when humans suffer, we pump them full of “life-saving measures” and force them to hang on because “sanctity of life” or whatever.

I’ve witnessed pet deaths that most humans would love to have for themselves: surrounded by family and allowed to let go in a safe, warm, pain-free environment. Hell, we should all be so lucky. It seems so obvious to me. And yet the humanity to be recognised in this solution still eludes us.

6. quitthedrama

quitthedrama I buy my Insta followers

Shimmys Received:
    I am a(n)...:
    Parent
    I know this is a sensitive topic but I am so in agreement with this. My mom was a nurse, and a strong proponent of "assisted suicide" for lack of a better term. She always said that she wished humans had the same options for their loved ones as we do for animals. The irony is she passed from cancer and her last two weeks she suffered horrifically. Watching her day and night in that condition and knowing what her wishes were but not being able to abide by them was awful.