High School High School Competition Hair

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jan 2, 2012
Okay so, I was watching the Twinkles Doc and I just lovee their hair ! The side ponytail with the bow is adorable ! The only thing that would bug me and I think it would but the girls I coach is that the bow would be off to the side and not set right on top and might get in their face ?

1. Does anyone have any experience with the side pony ? Does it get in the way ?
2. What if you have extremely long hair ? Does it get in the way ?
3. For high school/middle school rules does it have to be off your shoulders? So a long haired ponytail is not allowed ?
4. Any cute hair tips ? Middle School comps in NH are soooo early in the morning like we have to meet and get ready for hair at like 6 AM ! Most girls will probably curl their hair at night.. any tips for keeping it in tact ?
5. Id love to see pictures of some competition hair that is quick and easy but really cute !

My team does a French braid up the back into the ponytail. It keeps the hair in and it looks super cute!! I also love when teams do front French braids because it keeps the bangs and wispys out of the way.
Side ponys can be cute if they are just slightly to the side. I wouldn't want it so much to the side that it would hit me in the face in the routine.
Curls are cute, and they normally will stay with lots of good hairspray! Straight ponies to me for high school are classic and look sharp on the floor.

Last year we did the side braid and straight ponytails ! It was so simple and easy :) I think we will do an attempt at one of our football games or something just to see it slightly to the side ! But I love the tips so keep em comin !

My team does a French braid up the back into the ponytail. It keeps the hair in and it looks super cute!! I also love when teams do front French braids because it keeps the bangs and wispys out of the way.
Side ponys can be cute if they are just slightly to the side. I wouldn't want it so much to the side that it would hit me in the face in the routine.
Curls are cute, and they normally will stay with lots of good hairspray! Straight ponies to me for high school are classic and look sharp on the floor.
My all star coach wants to do backwards fishtails up to a high, straight pony tail. I love this idea because if you have crazy curly hair like I do, this has happened to you:
You're hard at work, trying to accomplish the most difficult task in the world: putting extremely curly hair into a high ponytail. Your arms are aching, your back is cracking, but you're not giving up. Finally, after 10 minutes of pulling at bumps and fly aways, voila! A beautiful, bump-free ponytail. Walking out of the bathroom, you look at the back of your head under the pony tail, and lo and behold, there's a colossal bump the size of a potato sitting on your neck.
I think that the braid would really prevent this from happening. Even though I can straighten my hair (I get a Brazilian blowout treatment every 5-7 months. Since my treatment in April, I've grown about 4 inches of hair, so my roots are disgusting!) I still think that this is easier. I know that a Brazilian Blowout is a bit extreme for a 12 year old, but I have it because a) My hair is practically unmanageable and B) Although I always get tons of compliments on my curls, I'm very self-conscious about them as they get really poofy. My mom always tells me that I'm going to regret not embracing my uniqueness when I grow up, but that really doesn't matter to me. The thing is that...
You know what, I'm hijacking this thread, I'm gonna pull the plug on this post.

InsertIronicUsernameHere It honestly gets so much better I promise! I have ridiculously long thick curly hair and when I was 12 I was just like you. I got compliments on my hair but I was always so self conscience because it would get frizzy. Then as I got older I learned to pretty much do anything to my hair I wanted. I can straighten or wand/curl my hair within 45 mins now. And even can wear my hair natural occasionally. You just have to practice. But don't give up! I know everyone probably tells you this, but you are VERY lucky.

InsertIronicUsernameHere It honestly gets so much better I promise! I have ridiculously long thick curly hair and when I was 12 I was just like you. I got compliments on my hair but I was always so self conscience because it would get frizzy. Then as I got older I learned to pretty much do anything to my hair I wanted. I can straighten or wand/curl my hair within 45 mins now. And even can wear my hair natural occasionally. You just have to practice. But don't give up! I know everyone probably tells you this, but you are VERY lucky.
Thanks so much for the help! I'm really glad that somebody knows how I feel. I just hate walking into a classroom or a party when all of my friends have beautiful, straight hair and then I'm standing there with a gigantic bird's nest on my head. In terms of hair for cheer, it takes forever. It's really frustrating, but I guess I just need practice.

A couple of girls I was looking at their hair tonight and they said their hair would NEVER hold a curl .. so out of the 36 ish girls on WCSS -- and then 32 girls on Twinkles.. atleast one of them has to have that hair that just doesnt curl and doesnt hold a curl... what do you think they do for that ?

A couple of girls I was looking at their hair tonight and they said their hair would NEVER hold a curl .. so out of the 36 ish girls on WCSS -- and then 32 girls on Twinkles.. atleast one of them has to have that hair that just doesnt curl and doesnt hold a curl... what do you think they do for that ?
Hairspray, hairspray, hairspray. And several re-curlings throughout the day.

Everything w/ my team is a debate... and I mean EVERYTHING. They don't realize that cheerleading somewhat resembles a dictatorship. Your coaches say do it and you do. The finny thing, last day of camp we told them high ponytails, bows in tails front.

A few w/ curly hair asked if they could do a bun bc it was "easier".. I said whatever. They came out in the buns and they all looked perfect. So I asked if they preferred it and even the longer thicker haired girls were like YES. The only non debate we have ever had, so that is going to be our competiton hair!

Back