High School High Top Cheer Shoes

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Feb 13, 2012
Hi all! So first off, I would like to hear your opinions on these cheer shoes as far as tumbling goes and your overall experience/thoughts on them in general. A lot of the tumblers including myself are having a ton of trouble being able to do skills in them and I was wondering if anyone with these shoes experienced similar problems. Also, I would like some advice on the best way to approach my coach about this problem without sounding whiny and that I'm just overreacting, because I anticipate a response along the lines of "if you threw your full at tryouts (wearing nfinites) then you can throw it on the track (in these boxy/heavy high tops). Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Reebok Women's Freestyle High Top Cheerleading Shoes | Academy
here is the link to the shoes I am referring to.

Last edited:
The ankle is a joint that needs movement to function correctly. While yes the high top provides you support, it doesn't give you the freedom tumbling needs. For basketball this is different because there is more side to side movement so ankle support is needed.

Additionally a high top shoe could make your ankles weaker since they are not able to gain added strength from practicing your skills, like wearing a brace would.

The reeboks I know are a heavy puffy leather so that I am sure isn't helping either.

I had these when I cheered and had a horrible time tumbling in them because the base was to narrow so I was constantly twisting my ankles, I ended up getting a kapea hightop so I'd look like I had the same shoe at comps.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

Can someone tell me when & why High top cheer shoes became a thing?! Seen that they were made, just didn't think anyone wore them. Are they a thing?
giphy.gif

Can someone tell me when & why High top cheer shoes became a thing?! Seen that they were made, just didn't think anyone wore them. Are they a thing?
giphy.gif
Many many many Allstar and school teams used to wear hi-top Reeboks up until 5-6 years ago when Nfinity and Varsity started catching wind. At one point I feel like just about every team in my area wore them. I remember refusing to switch to Nfinity at my new gym because I loved my Reeboks so much! They were sturdy shoes and people claimed that they helped with ankle support. I don't think they made a difference, however I didn't have bad ankles, so maybe they helped people who did. The drawback is that they were very heavy and uncomfortable (for tumblers and bases) to break in. I'm curious as to how the new hi-top Nfinities feel!

giphy.gif
They're now part of the circle of trends our world goes through every 10 years or so. They were popular back when I started college cheer in 05, then faded out, and now are apparently back

They're now part of the circle of trends our world goes through every 10 years or so. They were popular back when I started college cheer in 05, then faded out, and now are apparently back
Maybe excessive mesh, crazy cutouts, and "full tops" will fall out of style... :cloud9:

Back