Higher Baskets/tosses?!?!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Nov 7, 2012
I have a problem that Im sure all of you have experienced..How do you work with improving your height in tosses? Any tips for drills or techniques to get them higher? Strength, timing? We have good positions from bases + flyer, but it still can't reach higher than bout 5-6feet... The girls are new to tosses so I'd like to get it right from the beginning.. :)

It looks something like this;

I'm trying to find a video by Mike Pare on teaching basket tosses. If anyone else can find it, I think it would really help here.

The flyer isn't riding it up. Shes kind of "sitting" (its like a pike position, or cradle position). She should be straight up and down (or really close to that) and that'll help the height a bit.
Adding a front spot does WONDERS.

the flyer riding up will add height, also make sure your bases are really using their legs and not letting go of each others hands till they are at the top. add a front spot if its still not high enough

Is the backspot tossing butt or are they going under the bases' hands to toss? In my experience, tossing the butt led to higher baskets b/c it is easier to use your power from that position, and the flyer is forced to stand up a little bit.
Flyer: make sure she's riding to the top and standing up out of their hands. A lot of the time flyers try to go to a cradle position too early because it's scary to keep going up! So make sure she's vertical for as long as possible and knows not to try to catch and cradle until she's on the way down.
Bases: Well, what I said about the back... and make sure your bases are using their legs. Tell them to use all their power and not be afraid of it! And adding a front spot can make a basket go a lot higher too.

As a back, to me it doesn't make a difference whether I'm on butt or under. I think it's personal preference and what just works better for the flyer.
Be sure they're going full out. In the video it just looked kinda like they were intimidated by it or not throwing very hard. Be sure everyone on the bottom is throwing from their legs up to the tips of their fingers and flicking at the top to give it extra power.

the video is not the best... but for me it seems that the flyer leaves too early their hands (not riding up as mentioned) and for a all girl basket , the bases should use much more of their legs and really explode ...

btw... i have never heard/ seen a back tossing on the butt? i can not even imagine that

The bases are starting with arms bent... Trying to hold the flyer up.

I teach baskets as a slingshot, all the power comes from legs and shoulders at the end flick. If bases trying and bend their arms, they are also going to try and throw with them. The end effect is that the power is lost because the arms start to straighten out as you throw, therefore losing the power.

Usually tossing from butt is for flyers that are very new to baskets however I don't teach that way because it allows the flyer to rely on their back spot to stand up. For new groups i teach backspots to throw from ankles and for advanced groups they throw from underneath the bases hands. It doesn't look like your flyer has her arms up to ride the basket at all, I would start there. I believe everyone else has commented on changes for the bases. Good luck!

Thanks guys! Do you have any particular drills for the flyer or is trophys still the one and only? Our problem is probaly the "standing up" part and t find control during the ride..

And when we're on te subject: how do you guys teach a 1/4 turn to bases/flyer? Like a turning kick, throw side, catch front (drill for kickdouble). Thats also a problem i've got with a more advanced group.. Should the bases throw her "sideways" or stright up and let her do the turn? Whats more effective? Right now they don't have enough heigth for a double. Im sure some of you guys have experienced this aswell.

Thanks guys! Do you have any particular drills for the flyer or is trophys still the one and only? Our problem is probaly the "standing up" part and t find control during the ride..

And when we're on te subject: how do you guys teach a 1/4 turn to bases/flyer? Like a turning kick, throw side, catch front (drill for kickdouble). Thats also a problem i've got with a more advanced group.. Should the bases throw her "sideways" or stright up and let her do the turn? Whats more effective? Right now they don't have enough heigth for a double. Im sure some of you guys have experienced this aswell.
Our guy coach has them stand like they're set for a basket, then he holds like around their waist, and tells them to "stand up" on whatever count and kind of lifts them on the count until they get what it's supposed to feel like to stand up and be tight... it's hard to explain lol

As a base, we literally jumped off the ground. Not like a huge airborne jump but we got off the ground, and really really push with your arms!

Back