Higher Baskets/tosses?!?!

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

I tell every to do that now, I really think it helps!
you are right with that... but the two bases have to be spot on with their timing otherwise such a strong basket toss can make you trouble catching again if the flyer jumps away some feet / meters

Is the backspot tossing butt or are they going under the bases' hands to toss? In my experience, tossing the butt led to higher baskets b/c it is easier to use your power from that position, and the flyer is forced to stand up a little bit.
Flyer: make sure she's riding to the top and standing up out of their hands. A lot of the time flyers try to go to a cradle position too early because it's scary to keep going up! So make sure she's vertical for as long as possible and knows not to try to catch and cradle until she's on the way down.
Bases: Well, what I said about the back... and make sure your bases are using their legs. Tell them to use all their power and not be afraid of it! And adding a front spot can make a basket go a lot higher too.

When thinking about it bio-mechanically, the backspot tossing from under the bases would increase the distance in which the backspot is applying force to the toss. This increase of force over time will result in a greater change in momentum of the flyer.
In other words, the longer the force is applied (your bases muscular contraction) to a projectile (the flyer) the higher it will go will go.

Of course this is all assuming that correct technique is being used.

Sorry don't mean to hi-jack thread, just a thought.

Edit: Also, I cited the book Sports Mechanics for Coaches, published by Human Kinetics. I recommend it to all coaches who want to understand peak performance!

-Coach Matt
Full-Out: Cheer and Fitness

I have a problem that Im sure all of you have experienced..How do you work with improving your height in tosses? Any tips for drills or techniques to get them higher? Strength, timing? We have good positions from bases + flyer, but it still can't reach higher than bout 5-6feet... The girls are new to tosses so I'd like to get it right from the beginning.. :)

It looks something like this;
My team doesn't stop in the load before throwing, im not sure if this helps in any way but we are really good at baskets and its worth a shot.

Back