High School Homecoming Alumni Nightmare

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Aug 18, 2015
So yea, homecoming is nuts! I'm not sure what you all do for homecoming but every year we invite alumni cheerleaders to come back and cheer with the current squad. I am an alumni... (Would never go back out and cheer)... But really like the tradition of everyone coming back. So this year is the first year we are going in a different direction and not allowing the alumni to wear uniforms. Last year we had individuals not wear the appropriate undergarments and some actually cut up their uniform to make higher slits and lower V's..one was practically a crop top. It was just a nightmare. So we are gifting everyone a tee to wear that night that reads "on a mission to protect Redskin tradition" - Cheer Alumni. Well boy did I get some flack from 2 alumni. 1 guy and a gal. They went on and on about the change on social media about how they wanted to relive their high school days. (Yes the word "relive" was used...) and that it was stupid. I'm just beside myself that these individuals CARE about what they are wearing sooo much?! They're literally throwing a tantrum. I have many alumni who are are fine with the change... But boy what a headache!
I'll attach my explanation. What are all your thoughts? Are we being unreasonable?!

22 mins ·
Homecoming:
We are very excited to invite Alumni Cheerleaders back to cheer in this weeks 2015 Homecoming game! While we look forward to having you come back and enjoy the tradition of spreading Redskin Spirit on the sidelines again this year, there are some things that need to be addressed. While we very much enjoy seeing all the past years uniforms represented on our sidelines unfortunately this year we are going in a direction with Alumni attire. Last year there were issues with individuals not wearing the accompanying undergarments and or making adjustments to past uniforms to make them more revealing. While we considered doing an "approval" of attire at the game we simply did not feel that segregating certain individuals and deeming their uniform "unacceptable" based on size, proportion to fit or taste level was something that could be done in a tactful and Non-discriminatory manor. (What may look unacceptable to many... May be just fine to another and there's no reasonable way to adhere to a proper undergarment check) aside from wanting to be as polite and sensitive as possible to those who may seem unaware their attire may be offensive... We often have many veterans call and ask "what do I wear" I don't fit in my uniform anymore"... As all individuals who are in high school grow to be adults and bodies change. We thought the BEST solution would be to GIFT all alumni with a special matching keepsake tee shirt to wear that evening. While it is reasonable that so many memories lay within the uniform that a cheerleader wears at his/her game...I urge many to look at the true meaning of what homecoming encompasses. It's a time for retuning to see familiar faces, participating in the act of cheering on your former alma mater and reminiscing over all the memories spent as a Redskin Cheerleader. We truly are blessed to have a long history of talented, upstanding and amazing individuals that we look forward to sharing the tradition of cheering beside at homecoming. It is my understanding that one of the very first things learned in the atmosphere of being a "cheerleader" is we are a family and a team... We sincerely hope that the love of being part of that Redskin Cheer family and returning to participate with the intention of uplifting the integrity of the program is first and foremost a priority above all else and not second to what is worn.
For those questioning why stunting is not aloud with alumni, this simply in compliance with California state laws regarding physical activity on school property as it pertains to liability. thank you so much for your understanding and consideration! -Go Redskins!

Last edited:
So yea, homecoming is nuts! I'm not sure what you all do for homecoming but every year we invite alumni cheerleaders to come back and cheer with the current squad. I am an alumni... (Would never go back out and cheer)... But really like the tradition of everyone coming back. So this yearbooks the first year we are going in a different direction and not allowing the alumni to wear uniforms. Last year we we had individuals not wear the appropriate undergarments and some actually cut up their uniform to make higher slits and lower V's..one was practically a crop top. It was just a nightmare. So we are gifting everyone a tee to wear that night that reads "on a mission to protect Redskin tradition" - TUHS Cheer Alumni. Well boy did I get some flack from 2 alumni. 1 guy and a gal. They went on and on about the change on social media about how they wanted to relive their high school days. (Yes the word "relive" was used...) and that it was stupid and rediculous. I'm just beside myself that these individuals CARE about what they are wearing sooo much?! They're literally throwing a tantrum. I have many alumni who are are fine with the change... But boy what a headache!
I'll attach my explanation. What are all your thoughts? Are we being unreasonable?!
TulareUnion Cheer
22 mins ·
Tulare Union Alumni/Homecoming:
We are very excited to invite Alumni Cheerleaders back to cheer in this weeks 2015 Homecoming game! While we look forward to having you come back and enjoy the tradition of spreading Redskin Spirit on the sidelines again this year, there are some things that need to be addressed. While we very much enjoy seeing all the past years uniforms represented on our sidelines unfortunately this year we are going in a direction with Alumni attire. Last year there were issues with individuals not wearing the accompanying undergarments and or making adjustments to past uniforms to make them more revealing. While we considered doing an "approval" of attire at the game we simply did not feel that segregating certain individuals and deeming their uniform "unacceptable" based on size, proportion to fit or taste level was something that could be done in a tactful and Non-discriminatory manor. (What may look unacceptable to many... May be just fine to another and there's no reasonable way to adhere to a proper undergarment check) aside from wanting to be as polite and sensitive as possible to those who may seem unaware their attore may be offensive... We often have many veterans call and ask "what do I wear" I don't fit in my unfiorm anymore"... As all individuals who are in high school grow to be adults and bodies change. We thought the BEST solution would be to GIFT all alumni with a special matching keepsake tee shirt to wear that evening. While it is reasonable that so many memories lay within the uniform that a cheerleader wears at his/her game...I urge many to look at the true meaning of what homecoming encompasses. It's a time for retuning to see familiar faces, participating in the act of cheering on your former alma mater and reminiscing over all the memories spent as a TU Redskin Cheerleader. We truly are blessed to have a long history of talented, upstanding and amazing individuals that we look forward to sharing the tradition of cheering beside at homecoming. It is my understanding that one of the very first things learned in the atmosphere of being a "cheerleader" is we are a family and a team... We sincerely hope that the love of being part of that Redskin Cheer family and returning to participate with the intention of uplifting the integrity of the program is first and foremost a priority above all else and not second to what is worn.
For those questioning why stunting is not aloud with alumni, this simply in compliance with California state laws regarding physical activity on school property as it pertains to liability. thank you so much for your understanding and consideration! -Go Redskins!

I think you are being totally reasonable with this. Our old uniforms are still owned by the school so I would be kind of ticked off if someone started changing them without permission. Who would of thought grown adults would through such a fit. I hope it goes well for you, you'll have to let us know how it goes. My girls have always wanted to do an alumni game but we weren't sure how to go about it :)

The rule at my school was that only the previous year graduates could come back and cheer and they did wear their uniform. Keep in mind that we got new uniforms every year so they looked different than the current ones. This was 20 years ago though, and I have no idea what the tradition is now. I think what you are doing is great and totally reasonable! Stand your ground - you are doing the right thing!

I think you way over explained it but I understand you were trying to answer and ward off the argument. I would have just said if you want to cheer as an alumni this year the uniform is the alumni tshirt and black shorts. Period. That's so crazy people want to wear the uniforms again. Good luck!

So yea, homecoming is nuts! I'm not sure what you all do for homecoming but every year we invite alumni cheerleaders to come back and cheer with the current squad. I am an alumni... (Would never go back out and cheer)... But really like the tradition of everyone coming back. So this year is the first year we are going in a different direction and not allowing the alumni to wear uniforms. Last year we had individuals not wear the appropriate undergarments and some actually cut up their uniform to make higher slits and lower V's..one was practically a crop top. It was just a nightmare. So we are gifting everyone a tee to wear that night that reads "on a mission to protect Redskin tradition" - TUHS Cheer Alumni. Well boy did I get some flack from 2 alumni. 1 guy and a gal. They went on and on about the change on social media about how they wanted to relive their high school days. (Yes the word "relive" was used...) and that it was stupid and rediculous. I'm just beside myself that these individuals CARE about what they are wearing sooo much?! They're literally throwing a tantrum. I have many alumni who are are fine with the change... But boy what a headache!
TulareUnion Cheer
22 mins ·
We are very excited to invite Alumni Cheerleaders back to cheer in this weeks 2015 Homecoming game! While we look forward to having you come back and enjoy the tradition of spreading Redskin Spirit on the sidelines again this year, there are some things that need to be addressed. While we very much enjoy seeing all the past years uniforms represented on our sidelines unfortunately this year we are going in a direction with Alumni attire. Last year there were issues with individuals not wearing the accompanying undergarments and or making adjustments to past uniforms to make them more revealing. While we considered doing an "approval" of attire at the game we simply did not feel that segregating certain individuals and deeming their uniform "unacceptable" based on size, proportion to fit or taste level was something that could be done in a tactful and Non-discriminatory manor. (What may look unacceptable to many... May be just fine to another and there's no reasonable way to adhere to a proper undergarment check) aside from wanting to be as polite and sensitive as possible to those who may seem unaware their attore may be offensive... We often have many veterans call and ask "what do I wear" I don't fit in my unfiorm anymore"... As all individuals who are in high school grow to be adults and bodies change. We thought the BEST solution would be to GIFT all alumni with a special matching keepsake tee shirt to wear that evening. While it is reasonable that so many memories lay within the uniform that a cheerleader wears at his/her game...I urge many to look at the true meaning of what homecoming encompasses. It's a time for retuning to see familiar faces, participating in the act of cheering on your former alma mater and reminiscing over all the memories spent as a TU Redskin Cheerleader. We truly are blessed to have a long history of talented, upstanding and amazing individuals that we look forward to sharing the tradition of cheering beside at homecoming. It is my understanding that one of the very first things learned in the atmosphere of being a "cheerleader" is we are a family and a team... We sincerely hope that the love of being part of that Redskin Cheer family and returning to participate with the intention of uplifting the integrity of the program is first and foremost a priority above all else and not second to what is worn.
You are totally being reasonable, don't give in to their petty-ness. You could just say no more alumni at all, but you don't.

Also you could charge them all or raise the cost to create more fundraising and alumni support

So yea, homecoming is nuts! I'm not sure what you all do for homecoming but every year we invite alumni cheerleaders to come back and cheer with the current squad. I am an alumni... (Would never go back out and cheer)... But really like the tradition of everyone coming back. So this year is the first year we are going in a different direction and not allowing the alumni to wear uniforms. Last year we had individuals not wear the appropriate undergarments and some actually cut up their uniform to make higher slits and lower V's..one was practically a crop top. It was just a nightmare. So we are gifting everyone a tee to wear that night that reads "on a mission to protect Redskin tradition" - TUHS Cheer Alumni. Well boy did I get some flack from 2 alumni. 1 guy and a gal. They went on and on about the change on social media about how they wanted to relive their high school days. (Yes the word "relive" was used...) and that it was stupid and rediculous. I'm just beside myself that these individuals CARE about what they are wearing sooo much?! They're literally throwing a tantrum. I have many alumni who are are fine with the change... But boy what a headache!
TulareUnion Cheer
22 mins ·
1) WTH

2) How desperate for attention do you need to be to alter your uniform like that as a GROWN WOMAN? How old are these people.

3) I detect some current/future SMs in the bunch.

I agree that you way over explained. By pointing out specific things from last year, you are singling out the alumni who made the errors. I would keep it shorter and vague, then if anyone responds arguing then you can go in to a more detailed response. Keep in mind that most people don't read long emails, they skim. So if it's a long email, they aren't going to read the entire thing.

This is what I would send out if it were my team. I took out all of the negative sentences and made it a short and positive email -

We are very excited to invite Alumni Cheerleaders back to cheer in this weeks 2015 Homecoming game! We look forward to having you come back and enjoy the tradition of spreading Redskin Spirit on the sidelines again this year.

*NEW* this year, we will be gifting all alumni with a special matching keepsake tee shirt to wear that evening. All alumni will be required to wear the t-shirt and plain black shorts.

We truly are blessed to have a long history of talented, upstanding and amazing individuals that we look forward to sharing the tradition of cheering beside at homecoming. It is my understanding that one of the very first things learned in the atmosphere of being a "cheerleader" is we are a family and a team... We sincerely hope that the love of being part of that Redskin Cheer family and returning to participate with the intention of uplifting the integrity of the program is first and foremost a priority above all else and not second to what is worn.

In compliance with California state laws regarding physical activity on school property, we will not be allowing alumni to stunt as it pertains to liability.

Thank you so much for your understanding and consideration! - Go Redskins!

I agree that you way over explained. By pointing out specific things from last year, you are singling out the alumni who made the errors. I would keep it shorter and vague, then if anyone responds arguing then you can go in to a more detailed response. Keep in mind that most people don't read long emails, they skim. So if it's a long email, they aren't going to read the entire thing.

This is what I would send out if it were my team. I took out all of the negative sentences and made it a short and positive email -

We are very excited to invite Alumni Cheerleaders back to cheer in this weeks 2015 Homecoming game! We look forward to having you come back and enjoy the tradition of spreading Redskin Spirit on the sidelines again this year.

*NEW* this year, we will be gifting all alumni with a special matching keepsake tee shirt to wear that evening. All alumni will be required to wear the t-shirt and plain black shorts.

We truly are blessed to have a long history of talented, upstanding and amazing individuals that we look forward to sharing the tradition of cheering beside at homecoming. It is my understanding that one of the very first things learned in the atmosphere of being a "cheerleader" is we are a family and a team... We sincerely hope that the love of being part of that Redskin Cheer family and returning to participate with the intention of uplifting the integrity of the program is first and foremost a priority above all else and not second to what is worn.

In compliance with California state laws regarding physical activity on school property, we will not be allowing alumni to stunt as it pertains to liability.

Thank you so much for your understanding and consideration! - Go Redskins!
It was a brief explanation but the 2 individuals went "off" on social media ... And some alumni were jumping in asking questions because the individuals gave them a very vague statement on social media. I.e.: "so we can't wear our uniforms because the advisor doesn't feel we look appropriate in them, and we can't stunt either, this is BS!"...originally when Alumni sent me an e mail saying they would return It simply stated that uniforms weren't aloud this year due to some unfortunate issues with last years uniform wearing and California laws simply prohibit them stunting from a liability standpoint this is also in protection of them. It was extremely upbeat and stated how excited we were for them to come... (Ugh) But apparently this wasn't enough for those few. It was BAD... To where they called my current cheerleaders "strippers"?! On Facebook. What do the current year squads have to do with you wanting to wear your uniform?! Why take your anger out on innocent kids?! Thats WHY I went into so much detail. It's so bad I have some alumni calling me saying their words/behavior is an embarrassment to tradition and are refusing to cheer next to them if they come. I also stated to refrain from making comments on the kids. They just didn't "get it". 1 is coming out to apologize to my kids today to even be able to come back or I wouldn't allow them to return. It's just a mess, a headache that I didn't care for this week. My kids are trying to get through this week so they can get through a major comp practice week next week... I'm hyper focused on creating a serene family environment for this game... It's tons of people to keep track of on the sideline... And these few individuals are driving me out of my mind. For a while there I was thinking maybe I was being unreasonable, (I tend to be heavy on trying to control situations) but to simply have it put, I can't have lady parts being shown at games to tons of fans and I truly felt this is the only way it could have been implemented and sensitively handled.

Last edited:
I think you way over explained it but I understand you were trying to answer and ward off the argument. I would have just said if you want to cheer as an alumni this year the uniform is the alumni tshirt and black shorts. Period. That's so crazy people want to wear the uniforms again. Good luck!
Yes! Exactly. I knew I was overexplaining but it had gotten so out of hand!

I have alumni that come back from the 80's! And I think it's super cool!!! I have some mother and daughters cheering together. Aunts! ... I graduated 2001...would never dream of putting my uniform back on (and it would fit) it's the principal of the matter. maybe they should sew expiration dates in those things!

It was a brief explanation but the 2 individuals went "off" on social media ... And some alumni were jumping in asking questions because the individuals gave them a very vague statement on social media. I.e.: "so we can't wear our uniforms because the advisor doesn't feel we look appropriate in them, and we can't stunt either, this is BS!"...originally when Alumni sent me an e mail saying they would return It simply stated that uniforms weren't aloud this year due to some unfortunate issues with last years uniform wearing and California laws simply prohibit them stunting from a liability standpoint this is also in protection of them. It was extremely upbeat and stated how excited we were for them to come... (Ugh) But apparently this wasn't enough for those few. It was BAD... To where they called my current cheerleaders "strippers"?! On Facebook. What do the current year squads have to do with you wanting to wear your uniform?! Why take your anger out on innocent kids?! Thats WHY I went into so much detail. It's so bad I have some alumni calling me saying their words/behavior is an embarrassment to tradition and are refusing to cheer next to them if they come. I also stated to refrain from making comments on the kids. They just didn't "get it". 1 is coming out to apologize to my kids today to even be able to come back or I wouldn't allow them to return. It's just a mess, a headache that I didn't care for this week. My kids are trying to get through this week so they can get through a major comp practice week next week... I'm hyper focused on creating a serene family environment for this game... It's tons of people to keep track of on the sideline... And these few individuals are driving me out of my mind. For a while there I was thinking maybe I was being unreasonable, (I tend to be heavy on trying to control situations) but to simply have it put, I can't have lady parts being shown at games to tons of fans and I truly felt this is the only way it could have been effected and sensitively handled.

Not other way to comment but EEEWWWWW!

Back