High School Homecoming Ideas

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jul 30, 2015
Hello everyone! We wanted to do something for the football players this year. I'm new to coaching (was a cheerleader for HS, college) but didn't know what the new things people were doing nowadays. We do the locker stuff every Friday, but wanted to know if anyone had a few other ideas?

Our football team hasn't won a game this year, so we really wanted to make them feel special this homecoming. I know it's last minute but I'm positive we can get things going. Money is not much of an issue!

Signs on the road leading into the stadium with players names/numbers and inspirational sayings.

Special goodies each day: a can of root beer tagged, "we're rooting for you!"…

I had more, but I was interrupted and lost my train of thought.

Our school does a guy / girl routine during the Homecoming assembly. Always lots of fun

Thursday night varsity decorates the outside of the boys' lockers and puts candy etc in them.

Friday morning posters with the players' names and numbers (and more candy) and hung in the cafeteria.

Pep rally after school Friday.

Friday night the posters from the cafeteria are brought to the boys' houses and their front doors are decorated.

Saturday morning cheerleaders go in early and decorate boys locker room.

Our girls are assigned 2 players each if they are underclassmen and only one if they are seniors.

JV cheer decorated varsity cheer lockers for Friday as well.

Our cheer team "cheer slaps" the senior football players. On Monday they call the parents to get permission from the parents and verify addresses..Then on Wednesday while the guys are still at practice they go to each senior players room and decorate it with streamers, banners, pictures, balloons and leave candy behind for them. They also dress in black and leave a picture of themselves saying "you've been cheer slapped"

Our cheer team "cheer slaps" the senior football players. On Monday they call the parents to get permission from the parents and verify addresses..Then on Wednesday while the guys are still at practice they go to each senior players room and decorate it with streamers, banners, pictures, balloons and leave candy behind for them. They also dress in black and leave a picture of themselves saying "you've been cheer slapped"
"Cheer slapped" ??? Too close to "b*tch slapped" for me.

"Cheer slapped" ??? Too close to "b*tch slapped" for me.
We decorate the garage doors/yards of the players with signs... Same idea... We call it "Cheer Tag"

How many players homes do you guys decorate? All of them or just the Seniors? Who pays for the decorations you use?

How many players homes do you guys decorate? All of them or just the Seniors? Who pays for the decorations you use?
I was wondering too! We have 50+ football players and 16 cheerleaders. Over half of the cheerleaders don't drive…yeah, um, not going to happen here.

Homes are just the seniors. We pay for them. Try to limit it to The Dollar Store for decorations.
I was wondering too! We have 50+ football players and 16 cheerleaders. Over half of the cheerleaders don't drive…yeah, um, not going to happen here.
Our senior girls drive and parents volunteer as well.
We decorate the garage doors/yards of the players with signs... Same idea... We call it "Cheer Tag"
"Cheer tagged" just sounds better to me than "slapped".

I was like wow...we have a limited budget already and have double the football players than cheerleaders, it can get expensive. Also some of the players live in apartments in high-rise buildings so decorating their lawns/garages wouldn't work...lol. In previous years the girls used to decorate the lockers of the varsity football players they were assigned on Friday morning, but the girls felt that it wasn't appreciated, they never got a thank you nor did the football players every do anything in exchange. Some of the girls decorated part of the hallway before the 1st game this year with the football players names, their names, streamers, etc. We don't have a real homecoming our Thanksgiving Day game is considered a sort of homecoming where we play a rival town which isn't even in our division it just has been a tradition to play this team. We definitely seem to need some school spirit...lol.

I was like wow...we have a limited budget already and have double the football players than cheerleaders, it can get expensive. Also some of the players live in apartments in high-rise buildings so decorating their lawns/garages wouldn't work...lol. In previous years the girls used to decorate the lockers of the varsity football players they were assigned on Friday morning, but the girls felt that it wasn't appreciated, they never got a thank you nor did the football players every do anything in exchange. Some of the girls decorated part of the hallway before the 1st game this year with the football players names, their names, streamers, etc. We don't have a real homecoming our Thanksgiving Day game is considered a sort of homecoming where we play a rival town which isn't even in our division it just has been a tradition to play this team. We definitely seem to need some school spirit...lol.
Our tradition was the road signs, but they didn't get made this year. Our homecoming is a regular Friday night game and was a few weeks ago.

We are usually in basketball by Thanksgiving--depending on how far we get in football playoffs. State championships are usually the first week of December.

I completely get the "not appreciated" part. Only one of the football players routinely thanks the cheerleaders for the treats. But, the girls hear about it if they don't have anything for the football team!

Back