High School Homecoming Ideas

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

so any locker decorating and other various team activities are the responsibility of the various parents. cheer parents decorate lockers for cheerleaders, football parents for football players, etc. I guess I never thought of our cheer squads doing those spirit things. There is participation in homecoming rallies - the famed player/cheer routine is a highlight.

images

It's funny you all should bring up the ungratefulness of some football players, because basically our whole football team is like this. It's strange because most of the girls on the squad have brothers or boyfriends on the team, but they still treat everything we give them like it's not good enough. Definitely tired of it. We spent weeks making their homecoming gifts this year, and we went a little extra because they really are having a bad year, but no thank you at all. Just super annoyed by all of them and I wish basketball season would start already.

I may be different to others, but I enjoy doing things for other people and don't expect a reply. It makes me happy to make other people happy.

I may be different to others, but I enjoy doing things for other people and don't expect a reply. It makes me happy to make other people happy.
I don't think you are seeing the difference between doing something nice for someone and it makes them happy and appreciative AND when you do something nice for someone and it is not appreciated and becomes expected.

Many times it is the second example and that is where the frustration sets in.

I think having cheerleaders do stuff like make goody bags is out dated and kind of sexist. We support the school teams by cheering and involving the crowd and doing the occasional charity event as we are ambassadors to the school as far as I'm concerned that's where a cheerleaders responsibility should end. Making goody bags and decorating individual people's houses/lockers should be up to that particular sports coach or parents not cheerleaders.

I don't think you are seeing the difference between doing something nice for someone and it makes them happy and appreciative AND when you do something nice for someone and it is not appreciated and becomes expected.

THIS! Hit the nail on the head. It becomes expected and then eventually complaints that it isn't enough. That is where the frustration comes from for us!

I think having cheerleaders do stuff like make goody bags is out dated and kind of sexist. We support the school teams by cheering and involving the crowd and doing the occasional charity event as we are ambassadors to the school as far as I'm concerned that's where a cheerleaders responsibility should end. Making goody bags and decorating individual people's houses/lockers should be up to that particular sports coach or parents not cheerleaders.
Exactly. Cheerleaders at our school are an activity upon themselves with their own practices/training and commitments. Ambassadors for the school yes - but not the extra stuff for the individual players

Eta: SPORT rather than activity

Yeah, I like the first one better too now I realise. The second one I just treat as a job, instead of a friendly task, but then the heart is not put in so it's not the same as a heartfelt gift.

Agreed.

Exactly. Cheerleaders at our school are an activity upon themselves with their own practices/training and commitments. Ambassadors for the school yes - but not the extra stuff for the individual players

Eta: SPORT rather than activity
For the fall season, in NY at least, the main point of cheerleading is to cheer for the football team. The football games, homecoming, and all the events that surround it, are the main activities for cheer. I guess cp is lucky because in her school, football and cheer seem to have a mutual respect for each other. They've already planned a joint activity after this weekend's game if they don't get washed out.

For the winter season, cheer is truly a sport. This is the season where the girls compete and the focus of the season is on that. They do cheer at the basketball games as well, but that is secondary to preparing for the comps, and nothing is done for the basketball players in the same manner as for the football players.

Back