High School Homecoming Ideas

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Yes! Did you know that at New Rochelle High School, the football players fly down to Orlando every year to watch the cheerleaders compete at UCA?
And it's amazing! Our parents/support section sat right next to them last year. Our girls and parents were amazed. It was like a student cheering section, and they were all up screaming in their New Ro Nation shirts and purple light up stuff. Their guys were so nice and cheered for our girls in finals (different division). I asked a parent how they got everyone to come, and she said they were all just dying for any excuse to get away from snow! I'm sure that's not the real reason, but it's an awesome thing to see up close and feel their energy.

Edit to add: it's not the whole team. At least I assume it isn't because it would be a small team, but still an impressive number of them down there! I'm sure they probably aren't all football either, but I don't know.

For the fall season, in NY at least, the main point of cheerleading is to cheer for the football team. The football games, homecoming, and all the events that surround it, are the main activities for cheer. I guess cp is lucky because in her school, football and cheer seem to have a mutual respect for each other. They've already planned a joint activity after this weekend's game if they don't get washed out.

For the winter season, cheer is truly a sport. This is the season where the girls compete and the focus of the season is on that. They do cheer at the basketball games as well, but that is secondary to preparing for the comps, and nothing is done for the basketball players in the same manner as for the football players.

Seems a bit unfair to basketball. The football players are first priority and basketball second, I wonder how the basketball players feel about that?

Seems a bit unfair to basketball. The football players are first priority and basketball second, I wonder how the basketball players feel about that?
We have boys and girls basketball teams. There are so many more games--football games are once per week, basketball games are between 2-4 per week.

Really the only option, if the basketball players felt slighted would be to do less for football.

Even for non-competitive school teams, basketball isn't going to get as much. There simply isn't enough time.

There is absolutely no room in the gym for the girls to cheer while the game is going on. I can't tell you how many times players have crashed into the girls while falling out of bounds. It often feels like they're just in the way.

I also know that the cheer coach doesn't care as much about cheering for basketball compared with football, which is not a good attitude because it definitely translates to the girls. But I think this has to do with basketball coming secondary to the comp season in her eyes and the coach not happy cheering at games rather than having practice.

The girls are part of the introduction for all the starting players though, so the players do get that recognition at the beginning of each game.

Does anyone watch Modern Family? Because the idea of cheerleaders decorating football players lockers was briefly brought up and one cheerleader wouldn't do it because it's a "stupid sexist tradition." You go fictional cheerleader. I wish they would have delved deeper into it, but that's kind of an Alex storyline.

Back