All-Star Homegrown Athletes

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Jan 29, 2011
I know there was a 'controversial' thread about the path of athletes in the gym, but I am interested to know how common it is for athletes to start level 1 in a program and go straight to the worlds team, especially in big gyms.

With so many athletes flying in to be on XYZ Allstars, I wonder where original athletes fall.

ETA: I say level 1 but I'm thinking tinys,minis,youth.

Last edited:
That's a good question. From what I'm reading, it's common for a kid to be made an alternate if a better kid comes into the gym-- MID-season. At least that seems to be the case on some Worlds teams.

Last edited:
What do you mean by from L1 straight to L5? Are you implying in the same season or over the course of their cheer career?

The Fierce Board, where the NSA has nothing on the Mods

I mean progress over the years to L1 to L5

Do you mean kids that begin level 1 at a gym and progress to a Worlds team within that same gym?

Yes, athletes who have only been with one program.

I'm talking about, for example, how many girls on Panthers, are homegrown athletes who started on IBK or any youth team.

I don't think that enough kids could ever "fly in" to replace lots of home-grown athletes on a L5 team. On teams like Smoed, you would certainly see kids from other areas. However, it looks like most of the kids on Smoed are home-grown CA kids. Plus, they also have they option of being of Lady Bullets, Cali Coed, Black Ops, and other S5 Worlds teams.

Some people go from one gym to another because they feel that their current gym is not the right fit for them (some people even cheer at multiple gyms before finding the 'right' one) while others start at on gym and stay there for the entire duration of their cheer career. It seems that it all comes down to finding the right gym early on (I.e., while the athlete is still at L1) or on the first try.

Last edited:
I don't think that enough kids could ever "fly in" to replace lots of home-grown athletes on a L5 team. On teams like Smoed, you would certainly see kids from other areas. However, it looks like most of the kids on Smoed are home-grown CA kids. Plus, they also have they option of being of Lady Bullets, Cali Coed, Black Ops, and other S5 Worlds teams.
Actually, I think most of them started their level 1 cheer careers with other programs. They may not fly in, but they didn't learn all of their skills at CALI. Quite a few of them started at CheerForce, American, etc.

I mean progress over the years to L1 to L5

Yes, athletes who have only been with one program.

I'm talking about, for example, how many girls on Panthers, are homegrown athletes who started on IBK or any youth team.
I think you'll probably find that many kids at Cheer Athletics are home grown. I would say that probably also rings true for MD Twisters, Rays, Cheer Extreme, Top Gun, etc. Basically any large program that has a location in existence for a long time (10+ years). Of course there are always a ton of athletes from other gyms mixed in with those.

Actually, I think most of them started their level 1 cheer careers with other programs. They may not fly in, but they didn't learn all of their skills at CALI. Quite a few of them started at CheerForce, American, etc.
This reminds me of a prediction that someone made on another thread about the future of small gyms in all-star; the smaller gyms train the kids from L1 to LR5, and then those kids will leave those gyms for big gyms. Small gyms will act (almost universally) as feeders for L5 teams at large gyms (and, of course, those gyms will have trained their own kids to the point of L5). It will become virtually impossible for a small gym to field a L5 team.

Then again, it seems like all of this is already the case.

This reminds me of a prediction that someone made on another thread about the future of small gyms in all-star; the smaller gyms train the kids from L1 to LR5, and then those kids will leave those gyms for big gyms. Small gyms will act (almost universally) as feeders for L5 teams at large gyms (and, of course, those gyms will have trained their own kids to the point of L5). It will become virtually impossible for a small gym to field a L5 team.

Then again, it seems like all of this is already the case.
This is already happening a million times over.

Back