All-Star Homegrown Athletes

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Disturbed is an overwhelming understatement. Unless something radical happens it will only increase.

I can't speak for every other large program, but we get contacted all the time by small gyms wanting us to purchase their business. Some (not all) are struggling financially and view it as the only way to keep their doors open. Are we doing "the industry" a favor by telling them no?

My personal impression is that cheer gyms actually fail at a lower-than-average rate for businesses in general. I don't mean to imply that a gym failing is good, but it isn't necessarily unusual from a business perspective.

Last edited:
I can't speak for every other large program, but we get contacted all the time by small gyms wanting us to purchase their business. Some (not all) are struggling financially and view it as the only way to keep their doors open. Are we doing "the industry" a favor by telling them no?

Anecdotally, I think cheer gyms actually fail at a lower-than-average rate for businesses in general. I don't mean to imply that a gym failing is good, but it isn't necessarily unusual from a business perspective.

I agree with you 100 percent. I didn't want to go into all the reasons why it was happening - thought that would be better for a different thread. I say this a lot but you can't be big when little got you. Many small gyms are trying so hard to be big when they haven't learned how to be good at being little yet.

I agree with you 100 percent. I didn't want to go into all the reasons why it was happening - thought that would be better for a different thread. I say this a lot but you can't be big when little got you. Many small gyms are trying so hard to be big when they haven't learned how to be good at being little yet.
That's a really good point, I didn't think of that.

Reading all of this just makes me support the small-gym/big-gym Worlds divisions idea that much more.

I think I said 70 different programs, I believe it is actually 68. Here is the spreadsheet for all of the medal winners.

Google Sheets - create and edit spreadsheets online, for free.

Just looking at this, if you separate the "Top 10" gyms (that being CA through Twisters) that have between 11 and 36 medals, there is a pretty significant drop in number of medals after that. The other 58 gyms that have medaled at Worlds have earned between 1 and 5 medals over the course of their career.

Visual Illustration (note, I only did the first 35 gyms here cause I got tired of typing):
graph1_zps9ed38c55.png

Another way to look at it is to calculate how many medals the Top 10 have earned cumulatively and the number the lower 58 have earned cumulatively.

Visual Illustration 2:
graph2_zps12931bb2.png

The Top 10 gyms have earned 180 medals total while the Lower 58 have only pulled 109 medals. That's a pretty significant difference.

IN CONCLUSION:
I'll completely agree that it is possible to medal at Worlds at a small gym, but your chances are significantly greater if you're competing with one of those Top 10 gyms.

note: Sorry for how huge this post is gonna be with those two big pictures.

Just looking at this, if you separate the "Top 10" gyms (that being CA through Twisters) that have between 11 and 36 medals, there is a pretty significant drop in number of medals after that. The other 58 gyms that have medaled at Worlds have earned between 1 and 5 medals over the course of their career.

Visual Illustration (note, I only did the first 35 gyms here cause I got tired of typing):
graph1_zps9ed38c55.png

Another way to look at it is to calculate how many medals the Top 10 have earned cumulatively and the number the lower 58 have earned cumulatively.

Visual Illustration 2:
graph2_zps12931bb2.png

The Top 10 gyms have earned 180 medals total while the Lower 58 have only pulled 109 medals. That's a pretty significant difference.

IN CONCLUSION:
I'll completely agree that it is possible to medal at Worlds at a small gym, but your chances are significantly greater if you're competing with one of those Top 10 gyms.

note: Sorry for how huge this post is gonna be with those two big pictures.

Wouldn't California all stars and cheer extreme be in the top 3?

My gym was your typical small gym with mostly first time athletes. There may have been a few sprinkled in from defunct programs but they didn't have skills. We had a lot of l5s some of which have medaled and won at worlds. But we even had a l5 team but as they lost their l5s to graduation they stuck with l4. Then there was another large exodus , and they were brought out by a big gym. Since then, when I walk in the gym I don't recongize a single face. This went from a gym with girls who were their when the doors opened to a ton of new faces who want to wear the name. Many of these girls have switched gyms or decided to cheer HS because the gym wasn't home anymore. Some quit entirely because the pressure was too much.

Wouldn't California all stars and cheer extreme be in the top 3?

They are, it's just the program I used only displays the names of every third data point for some reason. The number is on the chart, their names just aren't underneath. =]

They are, it's just the program I used only displays the names of every third data point for some reason. The number is on the chart, their names just aren't underneath. =]
Thanks!

@Adam Not being a statistician I kept debating on how to factor in how long these programs had been at worlds and if that skews the results (ex. Cheer Athletics has been there since the first one), does mega gym mean multiple location gym (?) and therefore should the comparison only be based on ones that have more than one location, and does it matter if these multiple location gyms took over existing programs or started a brand new facility. Then my brain exploded and I stopped. Thoughts?

My gym was your typical small gym with mostly first time athletes. There may have been a few sprinkled in from defunct programs but they didn't have skills. We had a lot of l5s some of which have medaled and won at worlds. But we even had a l5 team but as they lost their l5s to graduation they stuck with l4. Then there was another large exodus , and they were brought out by a big gym. Since then, when I walk in the gym I don't recongize a single face. This went from a gym with girls who were their when the doors opened to a ton of new faces who want to wear the name. Many of these girls have switched gyms or decided to cheer HS because the gym wasn't home anymore. Some quit entirely because the pressure was too much.
That's really sad.

@Adam Not being a statistician I kept debating on how to factor in how long these programs had been at worlds and if that skews the results (ex. Cheer Athletics has been there since the first one), does mega gym mean multiple location gym (?) and therefore should the comparison only be based on ones that have more than one location, and does it matter if these multiple location gyms took over existing programs or started a brand new facility. Then my brain exploded and I stopped. Thoughts?

I completely agree that there are an abundance of factors that we could try to calculate. And I think there are definitely things we would learn by studying those difference, but I think the base information is clearly biased towards those big gyms, and the alterations that would result from including other contributing factors would be minimal.

I, however, was a broadcast major in college, not a mathematics or stats major, so I'm not really qualified to make those assumptions! :p

Well how many of those fulls and doubles in that CA video learned that skill there? A huge majority I'm sure didn't. They came with them.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

Well how many of those fulls and doubles in that CA video learned that skill there? A huge majority I'm sure didn't. They came with them.

I don't know why you think a "huge majority" didn't. CA isn't big because they were handed athletes with fulls and doubles. They trained their own athletes, and their success came from that, which draws other athletes. They may get lots of athletes coming in after reaching level 5, but they also have a TON of lower level athletes that they're training themselves and tons of l5 athletes they trained themselves. It may seem like they get a lot of athletes coming after they reach level 5, because that's what's publicized "omg Im switching to CA and made cheetahs!" But there are also kids who don't draw as much attention when they move up to level 5, because they've been with the gym for years.

Back