All-Star How Competetive Are College Cheer Try Outs Getting?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Well, if you don't ask, you don't get. And from what I saw, they all had them. Maybe they weren't graduating many off the team, and wanted to bring any new athletes in at the current level?

But back to my original point. The EP brought the team in to perform for the wow factor, but didn't even give them a recruiting booth. Maybe their guerrilla marketing tactics worked out, though.

Can you share the program? I would love to know who has that many.

EPs will have to be forward thinking to see why its better to let colleges come talk for free and help out their businesses.

You're making me second guess myself, because I'm only finding videos from 2013, and they're not throwing them.

Anyway, I'll spill
Wilmington University Athletics | Wilmington Wildcats | Cheerleading 2013
You saw the whole team throwing standing fulls or it just said it on the flyer? I'm genuinely curious (not trying to be rude or doubt you at all!). I used to live in Delaware and know people that cheered there just a couple years ago and they were not even close to a standing full. If they have that kind of talent now, I would be thoroughly impressed!

You saw the whole team throwing standing fulls or it just said it on the flyer? I'm genuinely curious (not trying to be rude or doubt you at all!). I used to live in Delaware and know people that cheered there just a couple years ago and they were not even close to a standing full. If they have that kind of talent now, I would be thoroughly impressed!
It was an expo, and I remember them just going down a line and throwing them. I've not seen that in any of the videos I've found online, though. Seriously, I'm doubting myself by now! But I swear, I saw it on the flyer, because I commented on it to my daughter.

It was an expo, and I remember them just going down a line and throwing them. I've not seen that in any of the videos I've found online, though. Seriously, I'm doubting myself by now! But I swear, I saw it on the flyer, because I commented on it to my daughter.
Wow, that's awesome for them. Yeah, I just watched the video on their website and I only saw one guy throw it, but either way, they were still really good! That program has really grown and improved in just the past 5 years, good for them!

IMO, I feel like they probably didn't want to spend time teaching you the "basics" because they expect people to come in with those types of things (motions, etc) down 100%. Yes, it might be easier to teach someone at a higher skill level how to do something easy as tight motions but the coaches would rather spend time teaching a level 4 (or whatever) athlete harder skills than have to worry about what their motions will look like come game time. Just my opinion.
THIS...is exactly the mindset. Our HS team is losing 2 of our tumblers who have fulls, but have decided not to tryout again. One was overheard saying "since we are not trying out, there goes the 'talent' next year". They have had a hard time on HS because they didn't understand about performance/crowd connection, etc. Couldn't understand why they were in back for dance/cheer. They are REALLY gonna have issues if they think they will be cheering at a competitive school. Can't see either making college unless we are talking club...

I was a CEA worlds athlete cut for my motions. Kind of annoying because if I learned how to stunt and tumble the way I do, pretty sure I can learn to squeeze my arms tighter in a Hi-V, but apparently not...
Not trying to be rude but I've seen it time and time again.. if you come to tryouts with a long resume of your cheer skills and experiences and then can't do motions properly, what do I think you will improve on or bring to my squad. It has taken 10 years to get mediocre motions and now what

I'm not saying that it wouldn't be smart. I'm just saying that's not the way EPs operate. Having looked into the vendor end myself, spaces run from $800 at smaller 2 day comps to thousands for bigger ones. Even "informational booths" such as hospitals who are selling NOTHING are expected to pay hundreds. For some reason I have Jessie J in my head now. It's all about the money, money, money...

At one comp we regularly attend, the local college cheerleaders do an exhibition performance. Even they didn't get a free booth. I noticed that they left flyers strategically placed on the lunch tables though. I guess they're higher level, as their minimum tumbling requirement stated on the flyer was standing full.
When I first read this, I thought you meant the actual human flyers/fliers (or however you spell it)! :p

So, sometimes it is probably because there is crazy comp. and maybe another girl has everything you have plus they have sharper motions and also have game day leadership/ presence. Most people don't like to think about it, but I also believe there are situations were the girl trying out has the tumbling, jumps, sharp motions, game day presence, but the Coach picks a girl who has overall lower skills (including less sharp motions) because she looks the part. In this situation the Coach might feel uncomfortable saying yes you are definitely more qualified, but she looks more the part. So, instead says sorry you didn't have that game day presence or sharp motions we were looking for.

Last edited:
Sometimes coaches aren't too concerned with tumbling. I know mine wasn't. I never have tumbled in my life but I'm a decent back-spot with sharp motions. I'm pretty sure a girl with a backhandspring tried out and didn't make it. Had it been solely based on tumbling I wouldn't have made it and she would have. It really depends on the program and if you're competing or just cheering games and what the rest of the team is like.

The Fierce Board App! || iPhone || Android

So, sometimes it is probably because their is crazy comp. and maybe another girl has everything you have plus they have sharper motions and also have game day leadership/ presence. Most people don't like to think about it, but I also believe there are situations were the girl trying out has the tumbling, jumps, sharp motions, game day presence, but the Coach picks a girl who has overall lower skills (including less sharp motions) because she looks the part. In this situation the Coach might feel uncomfortable saying yes you are definitely more qualified, but she looks more the part. So, instead says sorry you didn't have that game day presence or sharp motions we were looking for.

Game day presence plays into "looking the part" though.

There is a reason that some colleges ask you to dress and do your make up "game day pretty." Ex: teams like UT, OU, etc.

They want to see who can look the part and who they can PICTURE on the sideline.

If you walk in with a sky high Spirit pouf and neon green sports bra when they said half up curl hair, and game day ready make up, with team colored sports bra, you are going to have an issue. Add subpar motions to that, and you've effectively communicated:

1. I cannot follow simple directions.
2. I can't be pictured on the sideline because my game day presence is not there.

And the "look" is not pure beauty at all. So don't misunderstand that. It's more about the ability to transition from the all star pouf/glitter/etc. and shift toward a more natural/clean style of presentation.

I think that is the toughest part for some girls. They see the CHEER/game day portion of cheerleading as "extra" for most of their careers, as it has always been All Stars #1 and School Cheer #2. Then they get to college and it's not "extra." It's another important element that is weighed the SAME as other elements.

Then they get indignant like "OMG I HAVE A WHIP WHIP DOUBLE AND A BALL UP 360! WHAT GIVES?" not realizing that there are more variables at play than pure stunting and tumbling.

All of that is understandable and reasonable. That makes sense. I get all of that, but it isn't what I am referring to.

Game day presence plays into "looking the part" though.

There is a reason that some colleges ask you to dress and do your make up "game day pretty." Ex: teams like UT, OU, etc.

They want to see who can look the part and who they can PICTURE on the sideline.

If you walk in with a sky high Spirit pouf and neon green sports bra when they said half up curl hair, and game day ready make up, with team colored sports bra, you are going to have an issue. Add subpar motions to that, and you've effectively communicated:

1. I cannot follow simple directions.
2. I can't be pictured on the sideline because my game day presence is not there.

And the "look" is not pure beauty at all. So don't misunderstand that. It's more about the ability to transition from the all star pouf/glitter/etc. and shift toward a more natural/clean style of presentation.

I think that is the toughest part for some girls. They see the CHEER/game day portion of cheerleading as "extra" for most of their careers, as it has always been All Stars #1 and School Cheer #2. Then they get to college and it's not "extra." It's another important element that is weighed the SAME as other elements.

Then they get indignant like "OMG I HAVE A WHIP WHIP DOUBLE AND A BALL UP 360! WHAT GIVES?" not realizing that there are more variables at play than pure stunting and tumbling.

What exactly ARE you referring to? I'm trying to understand. Really.

I'm just going to come out and ask because I'm that person, and you can just tell me if I'm off-base:)

Are you insinuating that someone made it over this young lady due to pure looks?

Or because of weight? Or how they would look on the sidelines when broadcast on ESPN?

I'm honestly asking.

I will say that I have done privates with kids who are not going to win the perfect all-American looking cheerleader award who still made it. See: also not being blonde, white, perfect. I'm not and neither are some of the kids I work with. I cannot speak for every program in the country.

Last edited:
Sorry, not in reference to my original post. I could be wrong, but I think she didn't make it because of stunting positions, specific positions they were looking to fill on the squad. I do know of a couple of specific situations were (in my opinion) an overall skilled cheerleader, with sharp motions, and game day presence (could lead a game and followed all the dress, hair, and make up guidelines posted for new girls trying out) was passed over for a girl with significantly less skills in all areas. It was more we want our squad filled with beautiful barbie dolls. It was for a small College. It was not a comp. squad. Fortunately, this is not how most schools run their cheer programs.

Last edited:
Sorry, not in reference to my original post. I could be wrong, but I think she didn't make it because of stunting positions, specific positions they were looking to fill on the squad.

This is also a really valid reason, especially if you're a flyer.

Like it or not, depending on the team you're trying out for, they only need _ top girls. That's it.

You will always have more than you need trying out.

There is more opportunity in college cheer if you're dealing with a small co-ed or all girl team and have the ability to base AND fly.

But as far as "flyer ONLY" types, they have the hardest time in tryouts. Especially with fully D1A coed programs where you only need (example) 8-10 girls max. Depending on the program, the girls trying out are a cross-section of all the best flyers in all star cheer. For 8, 10, or MAYBE 12 positions.

I've always said that I can do privates, but I'd never want to be on the judging panel for those programs because every girl in the air is awesome and you're choosing the best out of a pool of ladies who all have NCA jackets and/or Worlds rings.

Latest posts

Back