OT How Did You Start Cheering?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
ok . so in 05-06 season my sister was cheering..(this is my topic for college app btw) .. he and i were saying how gay it would be for guys to cheer.. (yes i was that kind of boy).. i had a bet with him.. eagles vs cowboys... eagles got whooped .. and i signed up.. the first days i got my tuck.. the 2nd day i met my best friend(tyler- who i have been reunited with at SJS) ... him and i went to a comp and loved the adrenaline rush and literally fell in love with the sport.. since them him and i went on too winning cheersport our second year.. ad hes medaled at worlds the past two years.. this is my last year.. and i hope i go out with a bang :)
Brothers forever as we shine together

It was the summer before 4th grade and I was looking at the brochure for Camp Howard (a CYO (Catholic Youth Orginization) camp in the mountains in Oregon) and noticed a cheerleading camp. I had been doing gymnastics and dance since I was 3 and was currently doing soccer at the time. So, I went to the cheerleading camp and had a blast and made new friends. Then I learned that there was a CYO cheer squad for my region (it's not by schools but by city and the schools in that city) so my brother (a year younger then me) played football and I cheered for him. Also, one of my cabin mates from camp ended up being on my squad and she became by base (again :p) and we had a lot of fun. We didn't do any competitions but we made up little routines (we were 3rd- 5th graders) and my friend Katrina and I were the flyers seeing as we were the smallest ones (I could easily pass for a second grader. People always guess that I'm a year or two younger then I am). When I moved to Florida I did Pop Warner with my friends I made at camp in 5th grade then 6th grade I did school cheer and Pop Warner (seeing as I wanted to do competitions and I didn't know about All Stars yet). Then in 7th grade I tried out for the local All Star gym owned by my friend's parents and I made senior open 3 then we combined with junior 5 to become Junior 3. That was the best cheer experience I had. 8th grade I did dance because my dad said if I didn't get a 4.0 then I couldn't do all stars (although he told my brother if he got a C he couldn't do Pop Warner football and he still let him do it... It still makes me angry). Then 9th grade I made JV at my high school and I'm on JV again this year as a sophomore.

Cheerleading was first introduced to me by my babysitter. When I was younger cheered competitively and for high school. She would would bring over tons of VHS (old school) tapes from UCA, NCA etc. and I would love watching them for hours and hours. I think one time I even kept a video since we didn't finish it all haha Then I started a rec team at age 5/6 which I did for 3 years then I remember going to a few of my babysitters competitions back in the day and begging my Mom and saying, this is what I want to do..so I finally started all star and then it became my life :) I later went on to cheer in high school all 4 years, now I currently cheer in college and I am starting to coach at an all star gym! :) Sidenote: To this day, my old babysitter and I are very close and she still is one of my biggest role models.

Not gunna lie I watched "Bring It On" [ corny I know] the movie got me so pumped I was doing toe touches all night. i spoke to a girl in my dance company && talked her in to trying out of basketball cheerleading with me my Junior year of high school && the rest is history. Oh yeah I too said it was gay for a guy to be a cheerleader before then ..lol

The summer between 6th and 7th grade my friend was looking at new gyms around us because she wanted to get back into cheering and they invited her to go participate in a practice and she asked me to go with her, I ended up cheering there for 2 years and she didn't at all. But then they closed right before what would have been my freshman year. So I cheered at school on the freshman team because freshmen don't try out, they automatically make it but cannot be placed on jv or varsity. Then I tried out for this year (sophomore year) and made varsity. I plan on doing allstars again next year at the gym I tumble at now.

In 2nd grade I tried out for a pop warner team and i didn't make it , at the time my sister's best friend cheered for NEO Allstars in Ohio and her mom convinced my mom to take me to tryouts and i've been cheering there ever since!

So back around 06, I discovered video of Worlds 06 and started obsessing over Orange and GT and teams like that. After doing that for a few years, I finally manned up enough to ask my mom if I could take tumbling classes at a local gymnastics gym. I got my full in a few months and around the same time found that tryouts were happening all around the country. I stalked the internet to find gyms in Cali and came across a good 100. I was first going to try out for Platinum All Stars, who advertised a "World's team" if everyone was good enough. Then I found California All Stars. It was 86 miles away and my parents hated the distance. But after begging and pleading and fake fits of depression I convinced them to let me go to tryouts. I threw my fhs to full and everyone clapped! I was put on the infamous "Cali Coed" and the rest is history :)

i started cheering because my mom wanted me and brother to do some kind of activity. I wanted to be a girl scout, but they had too many girls and not enough leaders in my area. So my mom signed me up for cheerleading instead. It was love at the first sight of those white cheer shoes.

My sister started all stars 2 years ago. I went along to all the competitions to watch, and thought it looked like fun. I started the next year.

My allstar coach was a p.e teacher at my high school and she had a school cheer squad as well. When i was in 1st year (i'm from Scotland :) lol) i went along to see what it was about, since i never really knew what it was. I had been dancing since the age of 2 and been going to gymnastics since i was 5 so thought i would give it a go!! When i went into second year my coach asked me to join her allstar squad since she needed a flyer for nationals that was coming up, as the flyer decided she didn't want to compete!! I went along pretty much chucked in the deep end trying to pick up there routine and learning new stunts. I instantly fell in love with it at nationals when i saw what it was all about and there were soo many cheerleaders. I've been cheering for about 9 years now and always been with the same allstar squad and still love it as ever. I now coach the younger squads at my squad, im a flyer for Team Scotland that are competing at worlds and also Scotcheer clinic/camp staff!!! i am soo glad that i got asked to go along!!

Back in 01-02 I started with gymnastics classes again after recovering from breaking my arm. I had taken them before we moved from Indiana and during Purdue football games I would watch the cheerleaders, I even told my mom that I wanted to do that one day. Well in Alabama I was at the gym where ACE first practiced (this was their second year) and at the time all I had was the basics (roundoff, cartwheel, etc.) the coach asked if I wanted to switch to cheer. My mom agreed and I started out with Jr. Coed 5, big mistake haha after one practice we thought it best if I went to youth since I was only going to be in 6th grade and I could get my skills up. I continued with it for 7 years and am really glad that I decided to go to gymnastics that night haha, I originally was going to fake sick not to go.

My friend was in gymnastics (this was way back yonder) and I thought it was cool, so I joined to. I did little classes, and when I was learning my backhandspring, my coach said I should try out for the cheer team there, too. I did and transferred to cheer for a year. I liked the competition aspect. So the next year I competed in gymnastics. Then I realized I sucked at bars and was scared of beam, so I went back to cheer where I've been since then.:)

Back