OT How Did You Start Cheering?

Welcome to our Cheerleading Community

Members see FEWER ads... join today!

Off Topic
Up until fourh grade I was die hard soccer player. It's all I ever did. My best friend said to me, "hey come cheer with me! It's what I love and I want to share it with you!" at the time it was just rec cheer and I fell in love with it. I quit soccer and joined the team. After a season of rec we looked into this new all star gym called Cheer Express and we were immediately sucked in. Since then we've been doing all star cheer for nine years. My best friend still cheers at Cheer Express, she's on Senior Silver. However, I no longer do. I've moved all over the east coast my whole life and cheer gym have always been a safe haven for me to go to and make friends. It my home a away from home, and it's why I've stuck with it so long! Without Cheerleading, who knows what would have happened to me.

I started cheering in 6th grade at my middle school, and did that until 7th grade. My coach told me that there was a local allstar gym that I should try out, I have been with this allstar program for about 3 years now and I love it. I look back and think if my coach hadn't told me about it, I wouldn't have met all the wonderful people I know now. I also did Tae Kwon Do up until I was 14 and when I quit my master told me that I was going into a black hole :) I laugh now because this "black hole" was the best thing thats happened to me.

My cousin and I did everything together, so when she started cheering about 10 years ago I wanted to try it out. My sister and I tried it 7 years ago starting with popwarner, then half year highschool, now on highschool and allstars. I honestly dont know what my life would be like without it. Im not musically or artistic. I cant play any sports well, besides cheerleading.

My mother started me in dance young, basically, I had danced since I could walk.. then when I was in sixth grade one of my close friends told me about cheering, I had done our midget team before but only for a year and I was in first grade then and it didn't really leave an impression. she had done midgets all the way up til then and then began allstars at a gym 15 minutes away. She brought me with her and i immediately wanted to try it out.. dance was getting old after like ten years... and so i cheered that year and the next there and my friend had left after i finished my first year and went to FCA.. she convinced me and my mom to try it out and we followed the year after that and I've been there ever since.. my 6th season. REALLLY wish I would've gotten into it earlier, but hey, i'm thankful for the 8 years total I got, I would be nowhere near who I am without it. <3

Before i started cheer over the years I had played soccer, basketball and swimming with no experience in dance, gymnastics or anything of the sort. In 2006 my little sister got recruited from her gymnastics class and started cheering at a really small gym. I went to some competitions, never thought it was a good idea because I didn't think I could do any of it. Not until the 2008-09 season, the cheer coach and the senior girls asked if I could help spot, and I got lots of community hours. Then they wants me to try like stunts and stuff and I got comfortable in the gym after being there so often. Once i fell in love i decided to try out in the 2009-10 season. I then really started paying attention to other team at competitions and I realized I could be doing better and so did the other girls. The season turned out to be horrible and really stressful with lots of drama. The majority of us decided we want to do better in cheer and this season (10-11) we're all at bigger gyms and we have all improved immensely! I can't get enough of cheer now, it's my second season and I'm working toward my lay out and many other skills. :)

I pretty much started dance classes the second that I was born. After about 3 or 4 years of dancing my older sister starting cheering for a recreational team, and after a year my sister and I started cheering at the gym that her recreational team practiced at. We were there for about one season and that gym merged with another gym and created Tribe. I've been there ever since. I had to quit dance after about 6 or 7 years of doing both because it was difficult to balance cheer and dance. I miss dancing alot and would start doing it again if I could. I think that's why the dance section of a routine is my favorite part.

My friend's mom saw an advertise in the newspaper about tryouts for a new cheerleading team. She forced her to go, and my friend took me with her... I'm forever grateful to my friend's mom! lol

I did pop warner for about three or four years until their were some problems. we practiced at all star gyms so i knew about them, but i took a year off while my old pop warner coach(who became close with my family) and i begged my parents to let me join. i was finally allowed to do a half year team and the next year i tried out for a fullyear team, and continued cheering there until i graduated. I also cheered all four years of high school

I was had been in gymnastics since I was five but the summer between my freshmen and sophomore years in high school my coaches moved away. Since there were no other gyms close to my house and I had gotten hurt the past three years I decided it was time to let it go. After doing nothing for about three weeks and being completely bored I decided to take tumbling at one of the cheer gyms in town to stay in shape and keep up my skills. After doing that for about two months they asked me to be on one of their all star teams that still had some spots open. I fell in love with it after the first practice. This is now my third year and I've loved every moment of it.

i did gymnastics but had to quit when i was 11 b/c i had some rele bad injuries which required a wheelchair, then got really sick and was in a wheelchair again and in the hospital. at that point all my gym friends were considering cheer then joined. after about6 months to a yr i wanted to join to. The part that really caught my attention was that we got to travel to the USA (im from canada) and i had never been father than5 hrs from my house lol. so i went and tried it. like 50% of the team were girls that i did gymnastics with so i felt really comfortable there (it was also at the gymnastics cllub) my coach even used to coach me in gymnastics when i was young! they started me as a base cuz i started in like october so they had all their tops, and i based that season and i really sucked at it cuz i was smaller then most of the tops! Since then ive been OBSESSED with cheer! :)

When i was little, i used to make up random cheers that sounded more like a song, and i used to tell everyone that i was a cheerleader, when i wasn't (i know, kinda pathetic!) My mom promised me that once we moved (this was in 3rd grade) She would sign my sister and I up for pop warner. I was nervous cause i was used to making up random cheers and dances with my sister, but now i am in LOVE with it. My sister , our friends, and I , go to eachothers houses and make up random dances and stunt; whenever we get a chance! I haven't got to experience an all-star team yet, but i hope to someday, to improve on my tumbling and make me seem fierce! :)

My daughters saw an all star gym perform at our local mall for an Easter event. After watching them perform they begged for every day for over a month to be cheerleaders. I finally got them into a tumble class, which lead to trying out for cheer. Before I knew it we (me & my girls) were hooked. :)

Let's see..back in the day I had a babysitter who cheered in High School and cheered for NVA Tigers (old school gym). Whenever she would babysit me she brought over VHS tapes of some of her cheer competitions...the one I remember best was NCA Myrtle. She wanted to show me just her team, but of course I insisted on watching the entire video :) From then on she brought over tons of cheer videos and I'd watch them for hours on end haha Then finally my Mom took me to her high school competition and one of her local all star competitions...no joke, it was love at first sight ;) I was about 5 when I joined my first ever cheer team and my Mom was one of the coaches! I did 3 years of of REC then I began my all star cheer career and the rest is history :) Sidenote: My former babysitter who began my cheer career was one of my varsity cheer coaches senior year in HS and we're still very good friends :) I thank her so much for introducing me to cheer and especially for being such an amazing role model.

My daughter took a recreation cheer class at the local gym at the age of 5. Hated soccer, loved dance, but hated the boring parts. When she found out you get to wear a cute uniform, she went to try-outs (which I had no idea what that meant) and 9 years later, here we are.

Back